| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Portugal products to look for
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:50 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm going to Lisbon and Porto in a few weeks. I've been to both before briefly, and I have restaurants sort of picked out, but I was hoping for ideas about products to buy to bring home. Anything I need to look for? I have masa arepa on my list because I know I saw it in Lisbon, but what else? (If there are restaurants I mustn't miss let me know!).

Post subject: Re: Portugal products to look for
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:48 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Not sure about products, but you definitely want to seek out Terra (restaurant). I remember it being a little out of the way from where we were staying, but it was delicious and had a super nice atmosphere. Also, MegaVega was a great relatively quick stop for lunch in downtown Lisbon if you are out and need something.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:22 pm 

Robynn wrote:
Not sure about products, but you definitely want to seek out Terra (restaurant). I remember it being a little out of the way from where we were staying, but it was delicious and had a super nice atmosphere. Also, MegaVega was a great relatively quick stop for lunch in downtown Lisbon if you are out and need something.

Terra is on my list, so that's good to hear!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:45 am 

I'm just bumping this in case any Portuguese experts amble in.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:24 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I will ask my friend who is Portuguese and vegetarian!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:34 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Hey, I have a friend visiting Portugal this summer. Can we broaden this thread for restaurant recommendations? And Efcliz, how was your trip?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:45 am 

My trip was superb. We had 2 nights in Porto and 3 in Lisbon. Both places had lots of eating options and good places to shop too. I will add a run down of the restaurants later when I get chance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:19 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm glad to see there are places to eat in Portugal. My dad's family is Portuguese (left in the 1830s because of the civil war) and we plan on going, I didn't think I'd be able to eat much because their diet seems to be very fish heavy, especially in Madeira (where they are from originally).

Is it possible to get soy milk there, without difficulty?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm going at the end of the year so I'm keen to see your rundown too, Efcliz!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:51 am 

I'll probably add more to this later as I remember.

I've been to Porto twice now.
Nakite is nice for an evening meal. http://www.nakite-restaurante.blogspot.com/ because it has a nice atmosphere, and sells alcohol. Both times there've been a couple of vegan options. I had tempah saltado first time and seitan with oyster mushrooms second. Both were very good without being mind blowing and they came with lovely fresh salads. Staff were very friendly and I'd go back.

Essencia http://www.essenciarestaurantevegetariano.com/ I would definitely recommend. It's a bit weird because it calls itself a vegetarian restaurant which serves meat - I didn't think such a thing were possible, but having been I see what they mean. The owner told us that she is vegetarian but her brother and business partner is not. It is very much a vegetarian focussed menu, with vegan items all labelled, with a couple of meat things listed at the back - like the total reverse of what we normally get. It's a modern feel with a nice terrace. There's plenty of vegan food. I can't remember everything I had off the top of my head, I've got it somewhere, but I know it was a lovely soup, then a seitan, potatoes and gravy dish, and a fabulous pannacotta. A place to go for a treat or take an omni. Very very nice staff (our waitress had a vegan tattoo on her wrist).

Paladar da Alma was a nice light airy place. We went for lunch which was a small menu but a couple of vegan things, mediterranean in style. I had a tofu steak with some kind of garlic and caper sauce and baby roast potatoes, it was yum.

We also went to a couple of more casual places, casa de horta is a small place but very convenient for the river front, a bit hippyish with a great value meal of the day, tofu burgers etc. O Oriente no Porto is a yoga/buddhist centre with one set meal which leaned towards Indian flavours. Most of it was vegan but they offered to make me my own version of the dosa type thing, which was tasty.

I've been to Lisbon a few times too but a couple of places have closed down. There's still plenty though.

Terra http://www.restauranteterra.pt/English/Welcome.html is a really good vegetarian buffet. Staff knew instantly what was vegan (most of it). It had things like meatballs, aubergine steaks, lots of good salads, fritters etc. Another vegetarian buffet is Jardim das Cerejas, which happened to be entirely vegan the day we went. Very similar in style but the hot food was a bit more Indian leaning - a couple of currys etc. Again very good.

Os Tibetanos is another buddhist type place but it sells alcohol. They have a good value set meal or the a la carte has some vegan choices. It wasn't the best place ever but it was very close to my hotel so I went a few times.

Finally Jardim dos Sentidos. I much preferred the lunchtime buffet to the evening meal I ordered but I may just have ordered the wrong thing in the evening, and I was on my own so nothing else to try. There's a nice little garden area and yet again the staff knew exactly what was and wasn't vegan on the buffet. Unlimited herb tea too.

Celeiro Dieta seems to be a health food chain which has a couple of branches in both cities. The main one in the centre of Lisbon has a big busy cafe in the basement with lots of vegan things though it's not always easy to work out how you order! There's a fridge full of pastries and pies, and all the usual things like soya milks and lots of other things beside.

There's also a fair few Indian restaurants around lisbon that had options on the menu though I've no idea what they were like.

Lisbon in particular I found very vegan friendly. My hotel had soya milk at breakfast without me asking and right opposite our hotel was a small health food/deli type shop with a little cafe at the back which had vegan cakes and sandwiches.

We travelled on the train between Lisbon and Porto and it was really easy, and a lovely short break. (Short for us!!) There's plenty to do in both cities without feeling you're travelling all the time and rushing about. We'll definitely go back.

Edit to add I just remembered I have a very small Flickr set http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizw/sets/ ... 514569206/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:45 pm 
Hip Goiter

Erinnerung wrote:
I'm going at the end of the year so I'm keen to see your rundown too, Efcliz!

Me too! I just found out! for NYEve; when are you going?

Thanks for the rundown EFCLiz! I pmed you before reading how detailed you were in your suggestions, sorry! What do people suggest I do in Portugal besides eat? What were your favorite sights and what nots?

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:20 pm 
Hip Goiter

Has anyone been to Sagres?

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:40 am 
Saggy Butt

I'll also be there at the end of the year!

I just came back from Madrid where i picked up cans of vegan caramel and condensed milk that are distributed in portugal. The brand is La Guli but i can't find a picture online.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hey there (I know I'm late, but anyway...),

If you are looking for typical Portuguese food, we have a lot of great soups, but besides that... well, just forget it: our gastronomy is almost totally based on fish and meat, not the greatest scenario for a vegetarian. Fortunately, there are already several vegetarian restaurants in the cities

For people who eat eggs, I totally recommend some of our traditional cakes: ovos moles, pastéis de belém, tortas de azeitão, etc.

Regards

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:52 pm 
Hip Goiter

Hi, I'm back! I had the best time in Portugal. I definitely recommend going there for holiday if you can...even though I had bread and olives for like 70% of my meals. We went for about 9 days and drove around the whole country - Lisbon, down to the Algarve (Lagos, Vila do Bispo, and mainly Sagres), up to Fatima, Santarem, Porto, and Guimaraes, and back down to Lisbon. I was surprised at how comfortable it felt to be there. It's really a great country to spend a lot of time in. Kind of felt like the Philly to Barcelona's NYC - has a lot of great things but is much more chill and less intense. I loved being there in low season; we really didn't notice any other tourists, or at least not an intrusive amount. So, the food: The vegetarian restaurants we sought out were very good, but we only went to 4 of them - Jardim de Cerejas and Terra in Lisbon, and Nakite and Essencia in Porto. (That means that every single lunch and 4 dinners were at traditional Portuguese restaurants...where I could only eat shittones of bread, olives (which I never liked before!!), and lettuce and tomato salads.) All 4 restaurants were good. Essencia was the fanciest, both in food and atmosphere. I had a very very rich mushroom soup, a seitan dish that I didn't like as much as my boyfriend's tofu dish (I can't remember details), and, the best part, pannacotta. The entrees didn't blow me away but it was nice to get a special dinner. The seitan and tofu were the only vegan entrees available though, despite the long menu, so it really is a better place for vegetarians to eat (with lots of dairy dishes). Nakite was just as EFCLiz said above - the staff was so nice (the vegan chef came out and chatted with me for a bit!), the food was simple but delicious, and the dishes come with a (very welcome) fresh salad. My kind of good, simple meal. Terra and Jardim DC were both buffets, but boyfriend and I really liked Jardim better than Terra, against all reviews we had heard. It had a smaller selection, but the quality was higher. I think what pushed the win was that Jardim's seitan feijoada was better. It was actually amazing. I want it now. Also I was upset that the only vegan dessert available the night we went to Terra was sorbet. Grahh. It was still good though, don't get me wrong. I'm just comparing. OH but the best thing? Chestnuts from all the street vendors! I got my little paper cone of roasted chestnuts every single day. I'm obsessed. :) Worth going to Lisbon just for that.

Laughfrodisiac