| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ESL teachers who have taught/are teaching in Asia!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Aw, that's too bad! At least you'll have interviewing practice under your belt for the next time. Ganbatte!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:05 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm still pretty young and pursuing a degree in education (not English—art), but I would love to be able to teach English somewhere in East Asia. To those of you who are more experienced, do you have any recommendations on how to prepare for such a thing? I assume I would have to be older, have completed school, and have some teaching experience first.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:12 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

For Korea at least, you just need a degree (of any kind), the right citizenship and a clean police record. No teaching experience needed, although some schools like TEFL certifications. Then get in touch with a recruiter and get started! Plenty of people come straight out of college.

Upon arrival you'll have a compulsory hospital visit during which they test among other things for HIV, tuberculosis and may or may not test you for drugs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:20 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Japan is pretty much the same. Often there are recruiters in North America (as in the case above) so keep your eyes open. Companies often do their own training so even if you have no experience they will train you to teach the way they want you to.
If you're interested I have a friend in Japan who still runs his own school, he could give you some more updated info about what companies are on the up-and-up and which are not (my info is a good 10 years out of date).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:52 pm 
Chard Martyr

My TEFL instructor said it's pretty much degrees-needed for Japan and Korea, but there are plenty of opportunities in China for people with absolutely no training. I would (and still do, when I eventually go!) feel unprepared without the TEFL, but during my brief job search I rarely found that places required it (however, I didn't look anywhere that didn't require a degree), so that's your call. I expected to feel ripped off by the TEFL but found it immensely helpful. I think I lucked out with my instructor, however. Since you're a college student you might look into opportunities to take it during the summer or something. I did an 100-hour TEFL but it was completed in three weekends; the coursework was full days in class on the weekends, and the rest was online and mostly grammar-stuff, which didn't take anywhere near the 40 hours they give you for it! Mine was about $1000 CAD and I took it through Oxford Seminars. Here's the US page if you are interested. It looks like it's a bit more expensive down there ($1195). http://www.oxfordseminars.com/tesol-tes ... hp?flag=US

It's funny how degrees matter on paper for places like Japan and Korea even if they are useless in practice. At the one place I interviewed they told me they would probably have to pay me more because I have a Masters degree, which seems insane since I have no teaching experience and my degree was in creative writing.

Good luck! Now I've gotten all fired up about going to Asia again. Oh, Dave's ESL Cafe is an amazing resource too. You have to register and be approved for the forums but the tiny amount of time it takes is worth it. I was able to read hundreds of accounts from people working for the company I interviewed with. http://www.daveseslcafe.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Wow, thanks for all the info! This is much more helpful than my google searches. I'm not graduating for another 1-2 years, but I'd love to teach in China, South Korea, or Japan during summer if I could find anything. My university has a program for students to teach English in Seoul for a semester with provided stipend, but unfortunately it's only available for English majors. Regardless, I've been considering teaching in Asia after I graduate, especially if it counts for student teaching or if I can't find any teaching jobs in Chicago. It would be a great experience for teaching but also a chance to go back to Asia and become more familiar with the languages and cultures.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:51 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I taught English in Seoul for a year when I was 23 and I had no experience and had done no TEFL courses, and all I have is a BA in Women's Studies and Philosophy! The school I taught at was a really big company, so once I arrived, there was a really intense week of training and we were told if we failed that, we wouldn't get the job! That year's experiece was enough to get me a job teaching in Bangkok as well. Though South Korea and Japan pay the rest, and living expenses in Korea are generally cheaper, so I'm told