| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri May 29, 2015 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hawaii, anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So, one of my friends moved to Hawaii, and I'm going to visit her over spring break. She's in Hilo. Anyone know any can't-miss vegan stuff there, or anything else that I should know?

Post subject: Re: Hawaii, anyone?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:31 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hilo is not the best place for vegan food on the island. There used to be an all vegetarian health food store but no more. The best thing about Hilo is their farmers market. It's the biggest one on the island.

In nearby Volcano there's 1 vegetarian restaurant: http://www.happycow.net/north_america/u ... i/volcano/

Annie's, north of Kona in coffee country, has a good vegan burger http://www.happycow.net/north_america/u ... ealakekua/

Near Waikoloa there's Under the Bodhi Tree which is a more healthy vegetarian/vegan restaurant in the strip mall at Mauna Lani.

Bianelli's has daiya cheese for their great pizzas - http://www.happycow.net/north_america/u ... ilua_kona/

Island Natural's to go food usually includes vegan options that are almost always pretty decent.

Lastly Big Island Brewhaus in Waimea has the best locally-made beer and vegan options on their menu.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:48 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I found eating in Hilo to be pretty easy!

Bittersweet blog writes about Le Magic Pan, we went there one day, and their vegan crepe was tasty: http://bittersweetblog.com/2013/02/02/hello-hilo/

I remember eating at a Thai restaurant that was able to prepare vegan food, think it was New Chaing Mai Thai.

Also remember that there were a few Japanese restaurants, where they served veggie rolls, etc, so an option there.

There was one restaurant we went to, a nicer one, that had one vegan menu item… I can't recall the name.. (maybe Full Moon Cafe?) but googling tells me there are a couple, actually, that seem to have vegan options. Hilo Bay Cafe, for instance.

I'm sure you've looked on happy cow, but http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/hawaii/hilo/

Definitely hit up the Farmer's Market on one of its big days!

I was there over a year ago, wish I was heading there again soon..! have fun! the botanical garden is gorgeous. so are the rainbow falls. the kaumana caves are worth a visit!

Oh - that reminds me - somewhere on route there is a lovely smoothie stand (the other great thing about hilo, wonderful fresh fruits everywhere!) Go visit What's Shakin' - great smoothies, fruit, and think they have some veg food options, too. But go for the smoothies! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whats-Sh ... 6174853445

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:16 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

You're going to love the Big Island! I spent a couple of months there last year and absolutely loved it. I'm considering moving there actually. I stayed in Hilo for a few days and easily found vegan food.

There's a place downtown Hilo called Bueno Burrito that's kind of like a non corporate Chipotle. The owner is actually vegan and will make you a yummy vegan option. It was decent. The owner was really cool.

You must go to the farmer's market. Try and find strawberry papaya...soooo good.

There's two health stores in Hilo. Abundant Life is downtown and has a small selection of baked goods and prepared foods, some of it vegan. I found a good blueberry muffin when I was there.

Island Naturals is the other health store and has a bigger selection.

I really liked Hilo Sharks Coffee. They use their leftover coffee to make coffee ice cubes for iced coffee. Super strong and delicious!

There was a number of asian places that could do vegan.

Are you going to be traveling around the Big Island at all? There's an entirely vegan intentional community non profit organization and veganic garden near Hawi which is about an hour and a half from Hilo. I lived with them for six months, they are a very special and beautiful group of people. The founders have been vegan for over 44 years. You can stop by to visit for the day if you call ahead. PM me if you want more information.

The best food I had on the Big Island (and a lot of people would say the same) is in Waimea (inland). I LOVED the salads at Lilikoi Cafe.

I found a lot of vegan food in Kona too.

But I would probably eat nothing but mango and papayas from the farmer's market if I was there again! Nothing beats it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:39 pm 
Taco Scientist

icy wrote:

Oh - that reminds me - somewhere on route there is a lovely smoothie stand (the other great thing about hilo, wonderful fresh fruits everywhere!) Go visit What's Shakin' - great smoothies, fruit, and think they have some veg food options, too. But go for the smoothies! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whats-Sh ... 6174853445

That was the best smoothie I ever had in my life. Everything is better in Hawaii.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:25 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I went there too! I didn't have a smoothie, but I had one of their coconuts (for the water). It was ice cold and the best coconut I've ever had in my life!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks for the information. It turns out I'm actually going to be in Waikoloa Village, not Hilo. I'll probably be in Waimea for one day -- the friend I'm staying with works there a few days a week, so I can get a ride with her.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:28 am 
Baking In The Flavor

The Big Island isn't really that big, you can drive around the entire thing in a day if you needed to...make sure to get out and see other areas if you can! The Big Island has 11 of the world's 13 climate zones, which is highly unusual! It's a truly magical place. There's a public bus that travels around the entire island, but it's a pain in the asparagus. You can rent cars in Hilo or Kona.