| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Washington DC -- I will be in you (in late March).
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:49 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

My man and I will be staying in DC for nearly a week visiting my best friend. We're staying with her (she lives in Columbia Heights) towards the end of our vacation, but we're starting the first few days at the William Lewis House. So here's what I would like to know the mostest:

*delicious cheap eats for every day noshing as I drag my Canadian husband around our nation's capital.

*a restaurant for our third anniversary

*a restaurant/bar/whatevs for taking the best friend out to dinner as thank you gift for letting us crash. She tends to be omni, but is very veggie-friendly too!

If there's anything else you think I shouldn't miss in terms of sightseeing, I'm all ears! (Actually, I am not really made of all ears. That would be disturbing.)

Post subject: Re: Washington DC -- I will be in you (in late March).
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm going to give a much more comprehensive list of my recommend things to do, but in the meantime you can check this out:

http://www.vegdc.com/restaurants.php

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:13 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I have been reading the VegDC site like it was gospel for weeks in anticipation!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

Kitten the Destroyer wrote:
I have been reading the VegDC site like it was gospel for weeks in anticipation!

it's useful, I use it all the time.

I'll add to this list when I'm not working but the place you'll be (13th & R) has everything near it.

I recommend walking up 18th Street and checking out Adams Morgan. You can get the best falafel we have to offer at Amsterdam falafel or a cheap vegan empanada at Julia's. They also have a few good bars, namely MiG bar and Pharmacy. There is also good himalayan (himalayan heritage) and indian (jyoti). If you walk up 15th or 16th street from where you are you'll go alongside Meridian Hill Park, which has a good view of the city and is great for relaxing, picnics, and people watching.

If you like rock/punk/indie check out the Black Cat. it's a good bar and great venue, 2 blocks from your spot on 13th & R. They also have tasty vegan food in their cafe. blackcatdc.com

Columbia Heights is only about a mile from your bed and breakfast and there are some good options too. Sticky Fingers is the vegan bakery, it's good but a tad overrated in my opinion. If you all like beer Meridian Pint has an awesome selection and feature our new brewery, DC Brau. They've also got an awesome vegan burger.

Speaking of beer and burgers, near columbia heights in Mt Pleasant is a place called Tonic. They have awesome vegan design-your-own burgers and beer. Half off beer and burgers 5-7 Monday-Friday.

Bus Boys and Poets is super popular and worth a trip, you can go on the fancier end of things there, but it's pretty loud. I recommend the...vegan burger and pan seared tofu.

Ethiopian food is a big deal and there are a ton of locations. I recommend a little fast foody place called Habesha Market at 9th & U Street NW. <$10 can feed two people. Speaking of U Street, it's worth walking down from about 18th down to 9th. A lot of history there, especially jazz. Speaking of music, you're staying two blocks from Duke Ellington's childhood home, at 13th & S/T NW.

There's also, y'know, museums and stuff but everyone can tell you about them. They are worth doing but if you stick to that area you'll be selling yourselves mad short.

Everything I've mentioned is pretty close to eachother in NW DC, hopefully someone can give some recommendations for SE and SW. I live in NE and there just isn't nearly as much to do.

Much more to come.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:37 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Nora will do a vegan tasting menu on request. Equinox would also be good for a fancy dinner. If you like middle eastern I recommend Mama Ayesha's. Jaleo is also really good.

Things I would eat in DC were I visiting: Amsterdam Falafel, Pete's Apizza, Sticky Fingers, Take out from Zenebech Injera... You might even want to go up to Pangea in Rockville if you have the time on the weekend!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:50 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

The last time I visited my best friend she was a big fan of Tonic; now, not so much. She says the quality of food there has gone downhill. (I remember liking it but it was years ago.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:16 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Still hoping for suggestions for more eating from you DC folks! We leave in a couple of days!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:47 pm 
Human Gravy

In my opinion ella's has some of the best vegan pizza I have ever had. My family enjoys their non-vegan pizza and they have a beer and wine bar, so this could be a good choice for the omni occasion. (As would Bus Boys and Poets as mentioned above).

Ella's is near the National Galleries, right by the Spy museum (never been) and the Wax Museum (pretty creepy), and tons of shopping.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:01 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

My favorite DC place to eat remains Cafe Green - http://www.javagreen.net/

and great sage is an excellent runner up - http://www.greatsage.com/

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:26 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

We made anniversary reservations at Thai Xing and they assured us it was not a problem to do a vegan menu for us. It seems to get pretty good reviews and is a BYOW (which is a thing here in Quebec and less rare in the US).

I think our B&B is near Cafe Green; I've looked at their menu online and definitely want to eat there!

Wait, DC has a wax museum??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:55 am 
Nailed to the V

We made anniversary reservations at Thai Xing and they assured us it was not a problem to do a vegan menu for us. It seems to get pretty good reviews and is a BYOW (which is a thing here in Quebec and less rare in the US).

I think our B&B is near Cafe Green; I've looked at their menu online and definitely want to eat there!

Thai Xing is a good idea, and they def. do vegan meals. I think Cafe Green is pretty bad, actually. Maybe they've improved the service and consistency of the meals but it's always been an incredibly awkward experience eating there. You're better off just eating at their sister location, Java Green at 19th & K. It's overrated a bit but still good for lunch, at least for sandwiches. Everything else is pretty undersized and lacking.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:28 am 
WRETCHED

I've eaten at Cafe green twice and loved it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:46 pm 
Human Gravy

Yes. With all of the presidents. My dad took the time to scoff at Obama.

http://www.madametussauds.com/Washington/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:20 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Y'all, I ate soooo well in DC.

Thai Xing didn't disappoint for our anniversary dinner, but wow, was I stuffed once I left there. I also really liked the tempeh BLT at Busboys & Poets, ate at least four Sticky Fingers cupcakes, swooned over the vegan options at Smoke & Barrel's BBQ brunch, and had delicious cocktails at Founding Farmers. I also had pretty good vegan pizza at Radius (it's around the corner from my friend's apartment), but it wasn't as yummy as I hoped it would be. Oooh, also my husband and I loved the variety of food options at Everlasting Life Cafe so much that he wants to learn how to make soul food. I encourage that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:07 pm 
Nailed to the V

Did you go to Boundary Stone at all? It's across from Radius. I live pretty close to there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:49 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

No, I didn't! Ah, next time I hope.

There was also a really good Indian restaurant in Bethesda (daytrip to see another friend) but I have forgotten the name.