| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Apartments in Chicago area
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:28 pm 
Bends forks with mind powers

I'm considering applying for jobs in the Chicago area. The idea of moving there makes me nervous, though, mostly because of housing costs, traffic, etc. If anyone can offer suggestions as to what to look for and where to look (affordable neighborhoods that aren't populated by undergrads, near public transportation) I would really appreciate it! It would just be me and one cat for now...

Post subject: Re: Apartments in Chicago area
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:29 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

morecuminthancumin wrote:
(affordable neighborhoods that aren't populated by undergrads, near public transportation)

There are affordable apartments in almost every neighborhood (save Old Town or the South Loop I suppose), but you should definitely investigate Logan Square, Avondale, Ukrainian Village, Edgewater, and Lincoln Square. Pilsen is popular students. I had a decent studio in Lakeview when I first moved here for $700/month and rents have gone down since then.

Good luck! Let me know if you have questions about specific areas...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:46 am 
Inflexitarian

I live in a 4 bedroom single family home. With three roommates, about a 10 minute walk to the blue line, in Logan square and I pay around $400/month for rent. My friends inlogan square with roommates pay similar; my friends in the area who have 1 beds or studios pay around $500-$600. I mostly bike and sometimes take biases or the train- mostly I take the blue line only when I go to the airport or downtown. My partner and I had a car but it recently got totalled, and we're not replacing it because it's not that necessary, although it is sometimes convenient. We did get an I-go carshare (like zipcar but run by a local nonprofit).

I agree with the neighborhoods already listed, but would also add Rogers park if you're working off the red line. It's really far north, but you can get really nice big apartments by the lake for cheap and you're right on the red line.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:47 am 
Tofu Pup

Hey ifer. Are there any apartments there that only cost 650 bucks? Need your reply.

Last edited by rightnwrong on Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:07 am 
Bends forks with mind powers

Thanks, ifer and electric_claire! That's super helpful. I'm not familiar with the layout of the city at all, so knowing what neighborhoods to look in is a great start.

The earliest I would move is spring, so I have some time to figure it out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:41 am 
Tofu Pup

I want to know if you have any contact who deals in gvsu apartments. I am moving in state university with my 2 or 4 guy friend. It should be cheap as we all are in scholarship and can’t afford luxurious or expensive apartment. Any reference near the place would be appreciated.