| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: where do you like to stop during a roadtrip? (US/canada)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:40 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i'm building a website to help folks find places to eat that are convenient to highway travel. of course there are plenty of websites to help find restaurants that are in cities, but what about places nowhere near a big city? those are what i am going to be focusing on first. (also, i'll be selective in which city restaurants are included. at least in the beginning. so if you stopped at a city restaurant during a road trip and it fulfilled all your needs, go ahead and post that too. or if you live in a city, go ahead and tell me which would be the most appropriate restaurant to stop at. [not too far from the highway, convenient parking, no reservations needed, and to a lesser degree: not closed on mondays*])

related, optional question: how far off the highway are you willing to travel to eat vegan food? (i guess this depends on whether your road trip is for fun or for purely commute.)

as for chain restaurants, chipotle is pretty vegan friendly. would you say that's the most vegan friendly large chain?

*i can't tell you how many times we were returning from vacation and planning on stopping somewhere only to find out they were closed on mondays. i will definitely make this status prominently obvious.

thanks!

and i'll start. for philly, I-95, i think new harmony is probably best. parking can be iffy and traffic pretty congested, but if you don't drive through chinatown, and instead just find a spot around 10th street and vine or callowhill and take a walk (which i'm sure would be welcome after sitting in the car for hours) that might be better. that's what we usually do. if you do decide to drive into the city, your best option for parking is usually on arch street. this is best after the workday. chinatown is usually really congested during the work hours. especially since the convention center is right there, too.

blackbird pizzeria is probably the 2nd best option. if you're driving through in the evening or on the weekend, i suggest finding parking on front street if possible. otherwise, lombard and bainbridge are your 2nd best options. if you come through during the day, south street might not be a nightmare to drive on, but usually it is.

if you're on 295 or the jersey turnpike (in jersey), i suggest green medley in the moorestown mall. plenty of parking, and it's supremely convenient to both highways. park near the movie theater entrance. it's not all vegan, but it is all vegetarian. and if you ask what stuff is vegan, they don't think to tell you which beverages and sides aren't vegan. they don't have vegan yogurt, so anything with yogurt isn't vegan. i had the reuben. (which if you're a stickler for the original reuben, this is it. sauerkraut, not coleslaw.) it was the best reuben i've had at any restaurant. and i've eaten at the chicago diner, so that's saying something.

Post subject: Re: where do you like to stop during a roadtrip? (US/canada)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Taco Bell is a lot more plentiful that Chipotle. Whe driving through the middle I yearn for the bell. Panera is another vegan friendly chain. College Town are great for finding veg food in the middle of nowhere.

If you were driving through Austin (IH-35) the best places to stop for a meal would either be Counter Culture (vegan) or Bouldin (vegetarian but everything can be made vegan) and also Wheatsville Co-op to load up on supplies like popcorn tofu, kombucha, sweet ritual ice cream and other essentials. Bouldin and Wheatsville both open early in the morning and all three close pretty late.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:47 am 

Yeah, another vote for Taco Bell. Only big cities in Canada tend to have a Chipotle. In rural Canada the only option is often a Subway, but I much rather go to Taco Bell!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:25 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Do all Subways have hummus now? I know Subways here are advertising that. That makes it way more vegan-friendly since you can actually get protein on your sandwich.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:34 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Grocery stores. Specifically Ingles and Harris Teeter. Some of the bigger ones or fancier ones have salad bars or even Asian bars (Harris Teeter) with tofu items. Lot's to choose from. They have places to sit and eat and it's air conditioned and nice. We've eaten at both.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Wawa gas stations have some cheap, tasty vegan snacks, like $2.99 pita and red pepper hummus, fruit salads, and also some veggies that come with non vegan dressing, but that's an easy fix.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:59 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

wait what can you eat at panera? i was there the other day and got a salad because i thought nothing else was vaygen?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

They have a cilantro hummus and veggie sandwich. They will sub avocado for the cheese. Just get it on a bread that doesn't have honey.

They also have pbj.

I don't bother with the salads because they are all meat and nothing peas me off as much as having to pay $8 for a salad to leave off the chicken.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

They had a "classic" salad I ordered and added avocado.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:34 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

lavawitch wrote:
They have a cilantro hummus and veggie sandwich. They will sub avocado for the cheese. Just get it on a bread that doesn't have honey.

They also have pbj.

I don't bother with the salads because they are all meat and nothing peas me off as much as having to pay $8 for a salad to leave off the chicken.

There's also black bean soup which they only have some days.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:58 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

When we are going out of town around here, if I want a drink or a snack I always look for a Kroger because they all have a health food section, Bolthouse Farms juices, Holy Guacamole, etc. Even the one in Lincoln, which has a population of 14k, had things like non-dairy ice cream and Amy's. Plus they have a house organic brand so it's easy to find vegan crackers and stuff. They are mostly in the middle of the country, but if you look at a map you can see how there are some that are really in the middle of nowhere.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/krog ... 4481309,6z

And I second college towns. We have a private college here, and while that doesn't equate a real HFS or a veg*n restaurant, there's a great pizza place near the college that has vegan options labeled on the menu.

Depending on your preferences, I think Taco Bell and Subway are tied for vegan friendliness. Taco Bell has more options, but at least around here there are a lot more Subways.

ETA: I guess not all of the Krogers have a natural foods section, if you go to their site and do a store search there will be a little icon of leaves next to the ones that do. But most of the ones around here have them.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:01 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I just got back from a road trip! I took I-90 across and Taco Bell was the best. Cheap and quick and sometimes pretty funny when the person working there panics upon hearing your order.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just drove ten hours and it was subway the entire time and v-8 and almonds at rest stops I really could have used this guide!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:38 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

For Canada--Subway, baked potatoes (no sour cream) at Wendy's, potato chips at 7-11s, the odd vegan granola bar, vegan veggie burger (no butter, no mayo) at Montana's, Ethiopian and Vietnamese in Calgary, etc... Basically you eat Subway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 pm 
***LIES!!!***

mollyjade wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

They also have pbj.

There's also black bean soup which they only have some days.

And the tomato mozzarella panini minus cheese and pesto, plus avocado. I like a lot of their breads, that plus hummus if you find it elsewhere makes a good meal.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:58 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I travel a fair bit for work so have plenty of thoughts on this. In general, my favourite places to stop are independent organic/natural food grocery stores. Lots of times they'll have a sandwich counter or hot food deli with way more vegan options than you'll find in most restaurants. Trader Joe's works in a pinch, although there's still plenty of places in the country that don't have one and the quality of their premade vegan stuff ranges from ok to abysmal. Japanese restaurants for vegetable sushi are ok, as are any sort of Middle Eastern or Greek place with hummus, pita, tabbouleh, etc. But in general I've had way better luck with natural food grocery stores than with fast food or other restaurants. And (surprisingly?) many smaller communities have them, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:47 am 

thanks, doncherryfan! if you remember any specific health food stores you particularly liked, i'd love details. in fact, i'll send you an e-mail with the database fields to help you check boxes off. <3 (if you're up to it, of course.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:23 am 
BAD PASS

I just recently discovered that all of the Strack & VanTil grocery stores have gone though/are going through a remodeling and with it, they seem to have realized that vegans exist. I went to one because a friend told me they had vegan yogurt. I was skeptical because I'd been in that store before the remodel and it was bleh. But I found tons of great stuff. There's even a sign in an aisle that says "VEGAN" on it! Their "international" aisle also has good stuff, like those Indian food pouches.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:29 am 

awesome! that sounds like the wegmans out here. thanks. :-)

one of my big interests, though, is places that offer filtered water bottle refill stations. water is quite important during a road trip.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:19 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

On the East Coast of Canada it's all about Superstores! They have awesome "natural foods" sections with cheap snacks and staples and they even have some vegan stuff in the deli (veggie sushi, salads, etc). Plus they are almost always just outside a town on a major highway so they are really accessible for road trips.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:16 am 

thanks vijita! <3

when i was digging through my brainstorming for the database to copy and paste it to doncherryfan, i came upon a question. i might as well ask it here.

what do you think of ordering at a vegetarian (but only slightly vegan friendly) place? would you rather go to a vegetarian/slightly vegan friendly place over a pescetarian or omni/very vegan friendly place, or would you rather have the chance encounter with fish/meat for a wider variety of options? (i think i would probably prefer avoiding the inevitable stomach ache/urgent need for a bathroom while on the road, so i would probably go for lower options. but i will definitely ask omni places if they keep separate surfaces for vegan food. that would make me feel better about eating there.)