| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Los Angeles
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:53 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I just moved here, I've already been exploring the city, but there is so much I don't know yet....it's huge.

Tell me where to go, what to do, what makes this city great/terrible. I live on the east side, near Silverlake, but would love to hear about different areas too.

Post subject: Re: Los Angeles
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:10 am 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

I'm moving there next year but I'm going to be in LA from Thurs the 28th to Nov 2nd if you want to meet up and explore vegan eats!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

Things I love about LA: seeing places from all of my favorite movies (the LA River is really made of concrete, just like in Chinatown. Whee); near the beach; tons of veggie dining

Things I hate about LA: sitting in miserable traffic to get anywhere; lack of public transportation

Things that used to be good about LA: used to have beautiful weather -- now apparently we have the same weather as the Pacific Northwest. Hello fog.

I live in West LA, which I define as the area between Westwood and Santa Monica. I'm not from here though, so that might not be the official definition. Some things worth checking out near my neighborhood are:

Restaurants:

Real Food Daily (Santa Monica Blvd at 5th, Santa Monica)-- I don't care what anyone says; I love this place. Some of my favorites are the seitan club, the TV Dinner and their interesting specials.

Swingers Dinner (Broadway at 7th or so, Santa Monica) -- not vegan, but plenty of vegan choices like sloppy joe, breakfast burritos and homemade veggie burgers with avocado.

California Vegan (Santa Monica Blvd at Bundy, West LA) -- vegan thai food; apparently there are lots of these all over LA, but this one is closest to me. Tasty curry, thai iced tea and orange chicken.

Madelaine Bistro in the Valley (a 10 minute drive from here on weekend and a 2 hour drive on weekdays) -- I think this is the only upscale vegan dining in LA. It's fantastic.

Sites to visit:
the Getty Center, Santa Monica Pier, Will Rogers State Beach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:43 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

My boyfriend and I are leaving this Saturday to drive to LA and then to Vegas!!! So stoked to go to Trader Joes on the way!!!

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:36 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

I am also a Real Food Daily fan; I think it's my favorite though I have not yet made it to Madelaines.

I love MCafe but I just read that the Culver City location closed? I am beyond sad if this is true.

Veggie Grill. Yummmmmm.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:05 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Oooh, restaurant suggestions, I haven't been to any of those places, although my boyfriend has been talking about Real Food Daily lately. It was my birthday the other day, but I didn't have time to celebrate, so I'm going to go out for a "fancy" dinner today or tomorrow, maybe I'll check that out. I really like Flore in Silverlake. Super delicious and all vegan (I think).

I am fascinated by the LA river--I read a book about it in school before I ever even thought of moving here and it was really interesting, lots of info. about why LA is so big (areas annexed just to obtain water rights), how the river was moved, and good general information about the city's history. I think the book was just called The LA River.

I love walking around and looking at all the vegetation here. I'm from the east coast and most recently Ohio, so the plant life is just so different. I love succulents and the contrast between urban and nature is wonderful here. Although almost entirely artificial and made by wasting a ton of water....but yeah. The architecture and mountains are awesome too. I think I'm going to try geocaching as a way to explore the city because it's outdoors, free, and looks like a lot of fun.

Surprisingly the driving hasn't been that bad for me, although WAY different than the small college town in Ohio I came from. I don't know if I would have made it without a GPS. I'm already on my second house here (in two months, it's been crazy) and being able to walk a lot of places was definitely a priority. That and allowing big dogs. Where I live now I can walk many of the places I need to go, which is wonderful.

Anyway, love the LA convos, looking to learn and explore as much as I can. VeganFood, message me closer to when you'll be here, maybe we can get together!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:30 pm 

There's an LA River bike ride in the spring with varying distances (7 miles up to 60, I think) and all flat! I also love biking the beach path.

Driving around at certain times of the day is fine, but during any sort of rush hours it can be mind-bending. The GPS is a necessity for me, still, especially if I need to re-route on the fly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:26 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Visit Point Dume in Malibu. It's beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:11 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

must try chili addiction in west hollywood..sooo good and the owners are really nice!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:06 am 

ilovemountains wrote:
VeganFood, message me closer to when you'll be here, maybe we can get together!

I am flying out Thursday and will be there til Tuesday. I will pm you next week!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:22 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

You must go to Pure Luck. They have fried pickle chips, yes.

Rahel Veggie Ethiopian cuisine... omg my mouth is watering just thinking about this.

Cruzer VEGAN PIZZA. I mean, come on. Shut the front door. It's amazing, and if you live nearby they deliver.

Flore is wonderful for brunch! If you like vegan benedict, you'll be a happy camper!

I know I have more. The best thing to do, really, is to visit the quarrygirlwebsite, they have been EVERYWHERE and took pictures. Dang, I'm hungry now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:24 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

~Sz wrote:

I love MCafe but I just read that the Culver City location closed? I am beyond sad if this is true.

OH NO! That can't be true! My heart would break. The Culver City one has the tapas and wine! What a bummer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:37 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm from Santa Barbara, not LA, but the Mister and I occasionally make trips down which are often very food-centered and just returned from an overnight getaway.

I heartily second Pure luck. AMAZING.

Vinh Loi Tofu - vegan Vietnamese in Reseda, the owner is super nice vegan dude and they make all of their own mock-meats and tofu (must try the chili lemongrass tofu!)

Also already mentioned Rahel Ethiopian in little Ethiopia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:45 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

All these restaurant suggestions have me pretty excited!!!

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:46 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

If you find yourself anywhere near the Mandoline Grill truck, do yourself a favor and hunt it down. Best lemongrass tofu ever. EVER. And the owner/chef, Mong, is super cool and loves her some vegans.

You'll also want to consult the results of quarrygirl's Operation Pancake, AKA Will Green Leaves Ever Get Their Useless shiitake Together.

That said, Pure Luck is pretty freaking fantastic and one of the first places I take omnis on my food tour of LA. Also on that list is Veggie Grill and Native Foods. I just can't resist that Oklahoma Bacon Cheeseburger. Speaking of which, Native Foods is apparently taking over M Cafe's lease in Culver City. So, I suppose it's not a total wash.

I haven't tried Shojin yet in Little Tokyo, but hot damn do they look tasty. Vegan Japanese food, including sushi? Yes please.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:00 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

miharu wrote:
Speaking of which, Native Foods is apparently taking over M Cafe's lease in Culver City. So, I suppose it's not a total wash.

YES! I read that on quarrygirl, too. I am sad to see that M Cafe location go, but I am very happy to hear that Native Foods will be in a far more convenient location (for me, anyway)! I will be there when they open, with bells on!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The best veg food in LA is Follow Your Heart, out in Canoga Park. It's a hike to get out there, but it's 100% worth it. I moved away from Southern California about five years ago and I still dream about their burritos.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:11 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm a longtime Eastsider too - I've lived in Silver Lake, Highland Park, and Altadena and now Eagle Rock. There are so many great vegan options on this side of town. Not everything is worth a field trip, but if you find yourself out this way there are tons of choices.

Blue Hen, Eagle Rock - Really good, fresh Vietnamese food. Not all veggie but lots of vegan options.
Good Girl Dinette, Highland Park - same as above.
Four Cafe, Eagle Rock - lots of organic, good for a quick lunch.
O'Happy Days, Altadena - the most legit, 70's style, all vegan HFS and lunch counter. Crazy low prices on prepared foods. Always a soup of the day. I adore this place. You almost always get to share a table with retired rocket scientists and other neighborhood characters.
Bulan, Silverlake - crazy good vegan Thai. Crispy fish with green apples! Kabocha curry! So good.

Welcome, visitors! We promise the sun will be back in time for the holidays.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:16 pm 

AugustaBakery wrote:
YES! I read that on quarrygirl, too.

Is there a source on this other than quarrygirl though?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:36 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

QG is more 'in the know' with the LA vegan scene than pretty much anyone else I know, and I haven't seen her 'scoops' be wrong yet. *shrug*

It was just posted about on the 21st, and I haven't seen any follow up either way. I suppose we will have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:43 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

~Sz wrote:
AugustaBakery wrote:
YES! I read that on quarrygirl, too.

Is there a source on this other than quarrygirl though?

miharu wrote:
QG is more 'in the know' with the LA vegan scene than pretty much anyone else I know, and I haven't seen her 'scoops' be wrong yet. *shrug*

It was just posted about on the 21st, and I haven't seen any follow up either way. I suppose we will have to wait and see.

Yeah, I think we're just going to have to sit tight and wait it out. I haven't heard of it anywhere else, either. Has M Cafe actually closed yet? I'll have my friend works at Culver City scope out the joint for signs of life...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:49 am 

Are there any good vegan stores(not food)? I already know about Alternative Outfitters and may take a trip since I'm not going to be far from Pasadena but what else is out there?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:08 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I love RFD. It's about an hour from where I live, but it is worth the splurge. I know there are way more vegan options I have to try when I'm out there, but it's tough to pass up a sure thing.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:40 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I live in Silverlake now, after five years in mid-city.

My favorite vegan eats include:

Madeleine's Bistro (I ate their mock fish sandwich and thought what the fizzle, is this why people eat fish sandwiches!? It's f-ing amazing. I think it's the tartar sauce, honestly.)
Pure Luck
Flore (at Sunset Junction)
Native Foods (fingers crossed that they're opening a location in Culver City)
Cruzers Pizza
Bulan Thai Vegetarian (lots of vegan options, including vegan hot wings that are amazing)
Elf Cafe (all vegetarian, my absolute favorite in my pregan days, but still excellent with many vegan options)
Tony's Darts Away in Burbank (vegan sausages, vegan beers, LOVE IT)

I still haven't been out to Follow Your Heart, but it's on my list.

Someday we should have a Los Angeles meet up. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:31 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I LOVE the food in LA, I'm excited to come do a book signing in January, so I can eat myself silly.

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next