| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Costa Rica-Food Help? Please?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:08 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Thank you! I just needed reassurance, really.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I wouldn't want to drive there either. When we were there, I saw several roads that were impassable to rental cars (and I guess no one warned these people?) and folks were forced to drag their luggage along muddy dirt roads. I was happy to watch this sort of thing from the hired car service, which was some type of jeep or other heavy-duty vehicle.

There is a reliable infrastructure of tourist travel. It won't be hard to find someone to take you where you want to go and it will be so much easier than driving.

I also had no problem with the food. We did a lot of day excursions, and most of these things provide lunch. It was easy enough to talk about food options while booking the day trips. Most of the food was very vegan friendly. I would say better than usual for traveling.

I also found that a lot of Costa Ricans speak English. I speak Spanish, but I didn't really need it that much.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:44 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Oh god the food was SO good. We stayed at Boca Sombrero, on the Osa Peninsula, where they cooked us three enormous gorgeous vegan meals per day. There was even chocolate cake with avocado-based frosting. Chayote, squash, mangos, papayas, gallo pinto, one night was Indian food, another Thai. The food was stupendous.

On another note, if you are in Alajuela en route to the aeroport, Jalapeno's was terrific and they will veganize many things for you. The plantains with beans and guacamole were especially tasty. Their margaritas were sweet and sour and strong.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:51 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Almost 1 week in of a two week stay in Costa Rica with in laws. Then I go home but my baby and husband stay for almost 3 more weeks! We are in Desamparados. Food has been tough because it is hard to get out to grocery shop. I just want peanut butter. Apparently though, you can buy Gardein products for $8 at the fancy grocery store which is super far away. No thanks! There are no grocery stores in the area. We are taking a trip today to the hot springs in La Fortuna near Arenal Volcano which is exciting. Next week will be tough because I will be mostly watching my bebecito at the house. They do have a little play area at least, but it is more for big kids than toddlers. Wish me luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Okay, finally got to the grocery store and got my peanut butter! We had an awesome trip to Arenal Volcano. Good food too! The best plaintain ever too - I think it was baked (or maybe grilled?) - it was sooo good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Where we ate in La Fortuna was La Choza de Laurel. Awesome patacones (kind of like plaintain tostada shells) that come with refried beans, tomato, and avocado. I also got a typical plate or whatever it is called. There isn't a vegetarian plate on the menu but they seemed to already have it worked out that you got avocado and extra veggies instead of the meat. Just ask for it with no egg. Also I am prety sure the small piece of corn was made with butter. I wasnt sure if the whole black beans were safe because they had a lot of seasoning, an I just skipped those, but it was a great plate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:44 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Patacones!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The plato tipico, after I ate the veggies and some picadillo. It included baked plantain, rice, salad, avocado and really just a bunch of yummy stuff. .

Last edited by kimba on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:57 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh yum!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:24 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

kimba wrote:
Patacones!

Yum! Thank you for these, Kimba. I've been missing CR lately, and I miss the gorgeous food! I'm going back in January and am already counting the weeks. Where are you? I'll be heading back down to the Osa Peninsula, but may travel a bit en route or after.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I am with in-laws in Desamparados near San Jose. We have taken a couple day trips, one to La Fortuna and today to a beach somewhere. I really don't have a good feel of where I am / where my in laws are taking me! I am watching my bebecito while my husband prepares for some concerts for his trio.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

On the way to La Fortuna from the airport, I passed this vegetarian resort that had a little road side vegetarian/vegan restaurant - so cool! landsinlove.com

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2