| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: B-more, where you at?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:55 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

reviving this old thread because I was just in Annapolis over the weekend and we ate at a restaurant called Miss Shirley's. I was, of course, just going to get sweet potato fries and fruit salad, but the waiter came up to the table and asked if we had any allergies, so I told him I was vegan and he went and talked to the manager and told me that the gluten free pancakes are vegan. I confirmed with him that they had no dairy and no eggs, but I'm still slightly skeptical. I mean, I got the pancakes and they were really good, so I hope they are vegan. It just seemed to good to be true.

But on the other hand, I trusted him because when he brought out my pancakes he said the chef accidentally got butter on one of your pancakes here are the first three and he's going to make you a new one.

I tweeted at them to try to confirm! I'll report back just in case anyone has to go to Annapolis for any reason.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:16 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'll be in Baltimore for two and a half days! I arrive March 23 around eleven am and leave early March 26.

Part of one day will be spent wandering JHU and the surrounding area (it's my top grad school choice and the big reason I'm headed to Baltimore), and I will spend some time in the harbor because I'll be hardcore seawater deprived by the time I get there. Other than that, what's a must-see? I like live music, museums, wandering around... My coworkers from the east coast keep telling me to be very careful what neighborhoods I go to. I'm staying at a hostel in Mount Vernon area, and I'll be using the metro as my transportation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

I live in Mount Vernon, I think it's very safe, relatively speaking. It's a good neighborhood for walking around, and I've walked to the harbor from here too. You might like to check out the Walters Art Museum which is free and in Mount Vernon. There's also a free art museum on the JHU Homewood campus. Hampden is a neighborhood that has cute little shops and is walking distance from the campus. There's a music venue called the Windup Space that seems really popular but I haven't been there yet. Have fun!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:34 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

A Baltimore board! No way! Hey all. Can't believe nobody has talked about Red Emma's yet. That place is a staple for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:12 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

bump. I'm going to Baltimore for a week in February for work and need all the tips for eating / seeing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:32 pm 
WRETCHED

I don't get there much because it is about an hour away from me, maybe slightly more. A lot of the interesting things are outdoors but I'm sure we'll get snow sometime, maybe? My husband and I actually had our honeymoon in Baltimore, and we stayed near the inner harbor. We weren't vegan at the time but we go every once in a while. I think last time I went I ate at Liquid Earth, which was pretty good and One World Cafe, which was also pretty good but not my favorite. I like visiting the inner harbor and Fells point though as just neighborhoods to walk around.

It also depends what you like, I mostly a homebody but I think Baltimore may have things like shows/bands and what not if you do those things. If you get to DC, it should be a train ride away or if you have a car, but there are free museums. The hours are shortened over winter so most things close around 4:30 or so. DC (and DC suburbs) have some good Ethiopian. Baltimore also has a few museums that are interesting as well.

If the weather is favorable, there may be some nice short hikes as there is a few large parks right outside of Baltimore.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:56 am 
Baking In The Flavor

So I just saw that there was a Baltimore thread! PS If anyone wants to hang out and cook some vegan food, I'm in Hamilton, own basically all the popular books and gadgets!

As for paprikapapaya. Do you know what part of town you are staying in and if you'll have a car? I can make some suggestions from that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:40 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Is anyone going to the vegan Mac and cheese smackdown? I'm thinking of going down for it Depending on what time of day it is.

http://www.bmorevegan.com/event/vegan-m ... smackdown/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:08 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

blondiefk wrote:
Is anyone going to the vegan Mac and cheese smackdown? I'm thinking of going down for it Depending on what time of day it is.

http://www.bmorevegan.com/event/vegan-m ... smackdown/

I wanted to but I'll be in deep creek that weekend. I also don't understand exactly what it is? Do people bring their own mac and cheese to compete?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't know! It just sounds like fun and NYC doesn't seem to have fun things like this. We seem to lean more to holistic nutrition stuff plus it's a good chance to visit my friends there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:02 pm 

petermares wrote:
As for paprikapapaya. Do you know what part of town you are staying in and if you'll have a car? I can make some suggestions from that.

Not sure where my hotel will be, I'll be working out of the north end of the city for my workdays from what I can tell from google maps but I will either have a rental car or access to taxis for hanging out in the evenings.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:27 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

paprikapapaya wrote:
petermares wrote:

Not sure where my hotel will be, I'll be working out of the north end of the city for my workdays from what I can tell from google maps but I will either have a rental car or access to taxis for hanging out in the evenings.

FOOD:
Uber is way easier than Taxis in the city. You should be able to Uber to Land of Kush from where you are, 100% vegan. I've had their stuff at VegFest and it was good. Red Emma's would be a good choice too, vegetarian / Vegan options there.

One World Cafe will be close and show up in your searches, but I only went once and didn't care for it. It was 5 years ago, so not sure how things have changed.

Great Sage would be a crazy Uber / Taxi bill, but if you have a rental car check it out. They have a good menu that changes from time to time. It's a little more expensive than other options, but I always like it. There's also a ton of stuff in the shopping center that they own too to peruse.

I haven't gone to Johnny Rads, but I saw it on TV and apparently people like it. They have vegan pizza and vegan cheese steaks. It's on my list to try.

Stuff to do
If you have time the inner harbor has the most tourist stuff. Aquarium, shops, etc.

There's a few museums around to check out. I'm really blanking on other good places to go during the winter. There's a lot of small areas in Baltimore with nice shops to walk around: Hampden, Fells Points, etc. Depends on the weather.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:42 pm 

This is really helpful! If I have any say, I will try to get a hotel in the inner harbor since it seems like there's stuff to walk around and see there. And Fells Point looks really pretty (at least, in the summer...maybe not the best time to see everything right now) so I'll be checking that out too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:49 pm 
WRETCHED

I like Great Sage but it dissapoints me a lot that they rely a lot on Daiya and Gardein. They used to have awesome faux cheesy recipes which they got rid of.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:14 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Agreed, I always get the dishes that don't use fake products. last time I got an awesome Indian check pea dish. Loved it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

We could always go to DC if you have the time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6