| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: There is no place like Nebraska!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:29 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Omaha and Lincoln are only 45 minutes away from each other! Here are dining options in both! Each restaurant has a link to either their page or just more info about them.

Lincoln

Note: If it is a Husker game day, avoid the downtown area.

Maggie's Vegetarian Wraps: Awesome baked tofu wrap, baked goods are vegan unless obviously not (example: cheese scones)

Pepe's: Amazing Mexican food, uses a lot of locally sourced ingredients, it's above an art gallery, so it's a little hard to find because all that's marking it is a door, but it's totally worth it

Nha Trang: Vietnamese and Chinese food, great spring rolls and peanut sauce, the house sauce is not vegan but you can sub it out for more peanut sauce

Yia Yia's: Vegan pizza by the slice or by the pie! They have soy cheese and a ton of toppings- my favorite is sauerkraut. They also have an extensive beer menu.

Oso Burrito: It's like Chipotle but more awesome. They have vegetarian fillings like tofu, potatoes and portabello mushrooms, as well as a thai peanut sauce if you aren't feeling like a traditional burrito. There's also a location at 70th and Van Dorn

Freakbeat Vegetarian: Soups and bread. That's what they do and they do it well.

Open Harvest: Fantastic co-op with a great deli section- try the baked tofu!

The Parthenon: Greek restaurant with a vegan menu, sometimes there are belly dancers

Taj Mahal: Huge vegan menu, many of the appetizers are vegan as well

Omaha

Daily Grub: 100% vegan and some of the best food I've ever had, the ancho cashew cream sauce is to die for

Mcfoster's: Mostly vegetarian and most options are easily veganized, the soy cheese is supposed to be vegan now but I would still ask. Amazing garlic cucumber ranch and a beautiful outdoor patio for dining

Matsu Sushi: Great sushi, huge vegetarian roll menu, definitely try the tofu yasai maki

La Buvette: All you can get here is wine and the hummus plate but it is the best hummus known to mankind. It probably cures cancer.

Upstream Brewing Company: They have a vegan burger but I like to get the Thai Chicken Salad and have them switch the chicken for portabello mushrooms- great place to take omnis

Ahmad's: Persian, vegetarian dishes, has hookahs

Omaha Ethiopian Restaurant: $7 for a veggie platter and it's tasty! Attached to an Ethiopian grocery store

Amsterdam Falafel and Kabob: Get the falafel sandwich with no sauce, add hummus and it's amazing. They also offer curry fries.

Night Flight Pizza: Vegan pizza that delivers until three in the morning, uses Daiya, you can get cheezy bread!

Mama's Pizza: The Saddle Creek location offers Daiya cheese for you to make a vegan pie, probably my favorite pizza sauce in Omaha

El Basha: Mediterranean grill, outdoor patio and sometimes they play the History Channel

Sakura Bana: They don't have as many options as Matsu, but their carrot ginger dressing is fantastic and I would drink it

PF Chang's: I know, but this is a good place to take omnis and it is pretty darn good, as well as right in the Westroads Mall parking lot, if you're shopping there

Mark's: I confess that I've never eaten there, but I do know that they have many vegan options and that several people have scolded me because I haven't eaten there

Whole Foods: We have one! There will be a Trader Joe's soon too. If you need staples and you can't get here, both Hy-Vee and Baker's have pretty great natural food sections but don't get produce at Baker's. Trust me.

Flavors: Again, this is a place I haven't been to, but I've heard great things about it.

Laos Thai Kitchen: My favorite Thai place in Omaha, you do have to tell them no fish sauce, etc. but they are great about it and you can see right into the kitchen, excellent spring rolls

Vietnamese Asian Restaurant: We call this place 'Cheap asparagus Asian' because it's cheap. Two huge spring rolls with a decent peanut sauce for (I think) $3.95.

Both cities also have chain dining options such as Chipotle, Panera, etc.

Post subject: Re: There is no place like Nebraska!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:02 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

We loved Yia Yia's when we stopped in Lincoln! Nebraska is pretty great.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:47 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

i LOVE this list!! thank you times one thousand!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

This is really strange, but I was lurking and joined just to say that another really great place in Omaha for vegan Persian food is Victor's Gyros Falafel Foods. Best hummus I've ever had in my life. I don't even make it at home anymore, because Victor's puts it to shame.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:37 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Yay for lists! I will have to check out Victor's- that's my stomping ground!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:13 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ahmad's was seriously wonderful when I went there a few years ago.