| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iceland
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:55 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

It seems like I'll be moving to Reykjavik for a few months, so I would like to know if there are any PPKer that lives there? I've been there for some days before, and it's pretty vegan friendly, it has some veggie restaurants and stuff. I'll write more specific when I get there about them!

Post subject: Re: Iceland
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:00 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

pannkakan wrote:
It seems like I'll be moving to Reykjavik for a few months, so I would like to know if there are any PPKer that lives there? I've been there for some days before, and it's pretty vegan friendly, it has some veggie restaurants and stuff. I'll write more specific when I get there about them!

How awesome! I have no advice, just wanted to mention that I've always wanted to visit Iceland. Can't wait to hear all about your experiences.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:28 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Iceland is awesome. I can't say from a vegan perspective because I cooked loads of stuff I had with me already, but it's like the New Zealand of Europe. So. forking. Beautiful.

So if you're in need of PPKer company, I will gladly crash on your sofa.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:48 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I loved Reykjavik! I've been twice, both times as a vegan. There are only one or two vegetarian restaurants (this being the best/cheapest option - http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe=ut ... 2618463140) but I'm sure it's easier than where you've been living. Groceries will probably be similarly expensive. I haven't been since the whole financial crisis so I don't know what it's like now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:54 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I found this blog, Americans living in Iceland I believe. Not sure if they are PPKers.

http://irreverentvegan.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:06 pm 

Cool! Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:09 am 

OK people! I've been living here for one month now, and while I would never call myself an expert, here's what I've discovered. I will make a more detailed blog post about this in the near future, will tell you then! In the meantime:

Icelandic Supermarkets:
- Bónus, Kronan and Haugkaup is the most common supermarkets here in Reykajvik, and the two first is profiled to be low price, and they really are. Haugkaup is more expensive, but also have more products to choose from.
- You will be able to find soymilk in most supermarkets, even smaller ones like 11/11.
- Other products such as soy creamer, vegan butter spread, ice cream, yoghurt, will be harder to find.
- There is not a big assortment of beans in these stores, you will be able to find chickpeas, kidney beans and azuki beans, dry.
- Most of these stores also have an ecological shelf with some grains, tahini, coconut butter and beans.
- Vegetables is surprisingly good, although not the best assortment. You will not be able to find much greens, there's no kale for example. What you will be able to find is locally grown veggies, even in the winter. They grow cucumber, cabbage, tomatoes and peppers in green houses, heated by the volcanic powers in the ground!

Asian Markets:
- There's at least 2 bigger Asian Markets in central Reykjavik, one which is Thai and one that's Vietnamese, although both carry stuff from nearby countries as well.
- You can find tofu, beans, noodles, and all kinds of condiments here, reasonably priced.

Ecological markets:
- There is one big organic store, Yggdrasil, and some smaller ones. They are very expensive though, so I can't afford shopping there, which is why I don't have a lot to say about them. But I know you can find some vegan stuff in there, such as TVP. I wish they had a better assortment in the fridge, such as yoghurt and ice cream.

Restaurants:
- Check out Happy Cow for the vegetarian profiled ones.
- Sushi Barinn. Best sushi in Iceland, and it's fantastic. They don't have a vegan plate on their menu, but you can ask to get the vegetarian one without the omelet. What kind of sushi you'll get varies from who makes it, but it's always a big variety and it always tastes great. The sushi place itself is very small, but it goes together with the café next door so you can sit in there for a nicer atmosphere.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:15 am 
Tofu Pup

that's awesome! im visiting iceland for 10 days next month. any new updates? awesome coffee shops? thanks :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:24 am 

farrellvegan wrote:
that's awesome! im visiting iceland for 10 days next month. any new updates? awesome coffee shops? thanks :)

I don't live there anymore, so I wouldn't know! But I'm sure you'll have an awesome time. I wrote a guide to Reykjavík on my blog if you're interested.