| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Traveling advice for a baby deer (I am the deer)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:34 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have barely ever traveled, so I'm jumping in feet first with a trip for late September to late October halfway around the world. My foremost feelings are excitement, then fear.
Anyone with experience/advice ? For someone who ...
-is new at this
-is medicated for anxiety disorders
-misses cats when away from them for one day
-has a hard time relaxing/calming down
-is nervous about carrying money
-is nervous about losing things
-wants to get the most enjoyment possible

Post subject: Re: Traveling advice for a baby deer (I am the deer)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:02 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I travel solo world wide and have been to lots of places! In the past year alone I was in Egypt, Southeast Asia, Central and South America! My best advice is to travel extremely light and do not check your bag, hence not losing things. Usually you can buy things when you get there if you need them, like extra shampoo or toothpaste. Also get a money belt or pouch and keep your most valuables close to your body at all time, like when you're asleep on the airplane. I take xanax when flying because it makes me anxious, other than that my anxiety is not medicated daily or anything. Make sure all your prescriptions are in the original bottle when you travel, airport security can potentially check your pills but it's never been a problem for me. Also don't carry all your cash in one place. I have a weird zipper on my pack that opens where the internal frame is and I shove some bills in there. Or I put some money in a ziplock bag in with my dirty laundry. Gross but no one should be looking in there??

I have a pack like this one, although I have an old version that is carry on sized and I think this one might be a few cm too large:
http://www.rei.com/product/827065/rei-f ... ack-womens

And here's a money belt that you could use to make sure you have it close to you:
http://www.rei.com/product/741162/belle-hop-waist-stash

“Everything in the world is beautiful, but Man only recognizes beauty if he sees it either seldom or from afar. Listen, today we are gods! Our blue shadows are enormous! We move in a gigantic, joyful world!”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:33 pm 
WRETCHED

I love money belts/pouches and also recommend one.

You could go to a place where there are lots of communal cats, like Greece and english is one of their official languages so everyone speaks it.

If you are going to a non-english speaking country, try to learn a few phrases, take a phrase book and a small dictionary with you. Some travel dictionaries will have both key phrases as well as a wider dictionary.

Biggest safety tip: Hold onto your passport. Some hotels may want to photocopy it but ask for you to watch them do it and get it back immediately. Know where your embassies are located 'just in case'. If we don't have a diplomatic presence, there will usually be a friendly embassy such as Canada/UK/Australia that can be contacted in case of any issues. I know I've read a few times that you can even register with the embassy to say hey you are in the country but I've never done that myself and don't really recommend it unless possibly you are going somewhere that Americans never go and possibly not traveling by plane to get there.

I'd also check the state department's travel website to read up on your destination country
http://travel.state.gov/

As well as Lonely Planet for some practical travel tips
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa

I also tend to read other country's travel advisories (UK, Australia, Canada - just because they are in English) to get some perspective. And remember that those travel advisories will give you the worst of the worst but its better to be prepared than not. Funnily enough, there are vast warnings about Florida from other countries which surprised me but I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:41 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Also in terms of being vegan while traveling, you can usually find the little packets of peanuts or mixed nuts anywhere around the world in convenience stores so I usually buy a few for snacking on, and at times I have gotten by on those with oreos. And white rice. And fresh fruit is usually available at street stands and markets. Also make a copy of your passport, health insurance card, etc and give a copy to someone at home and have an extra copy with you. In many places it's safer to leave your actual passport in your hotel room safe and carry the copy with you. But that's something lonely planet can give you advice on depending on where you're going.

“Everything in the world is beautiful, but Man only recognizes beauty if he sees it either seldom or from afar. Listen, today we are gods! Our blue shadows are enormous! We move in a gigantic, joyful world!”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:32 pm 
Chip Strong

Get someone to care for your cats whom you trust and who understands that you miss them and is happy to keep you updated to tell you they're fine so you feel happy and reassured.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:09 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

It's normal to feel some degree of fear or anxiety when traveling to a place one has never been before. There are so many unknowns! The important thing is to not psych yourself out too much about it. You're going to have a great time and your mind will be broadened and you will have an increased appreciation of many things as a result of your exposure to a different land. So, what I do, is focus on these positive things. I acknowledge my anxiety and then I let it go.

Have an awesome, awesome trip!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:32 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

My husband and are both terrible about worrying about our cats when we're out of town. For our last vacation we had a friend house/cat sit for us and stay at our place instead of just paying someone to pop in every day. We felt so much better about it, and while we missed them, we weren't nearly as worried about them.

You live in a city, so it might not be that difficult for you to find a distant friend or family member who would want a cheap vacation to Portland.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:36 pm 
Nailed to the V

Wow thank you all. Your advice is ace. Reading it made me feel a lot better. Making copies of things is something that makes so much sense, but I probably would not have thought to. Thanks for the links, too. Research, backpack shopping, and Xanax prescribing, ahoy!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:01 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Bring more than one credit card, because I've had issues where ATMs don't take one of mine but will take another. Nothing like being prepared :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:09 am 
WRETCHED

And tell your credit card company that you will be traveling to wherever you are going so that they don't put a fraud alert on your card. And the first thing you should do is get some local currency when you arrive. Airports will have a money exchange you can use. Some countries will gladly take US dollars and in Greece, they even accepted American checks in certain places (I didn't take my check book).

I'd read up on LonelyPlanet.com regarding currency for wherever you are going to give you a better idea.

Also, good walking shoes are a must. Depending on where you are going, sidewalks and streets may be hundreds of years old and my feet took a beating in Europe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:13 am 
Seagull of the PPK

linanil wrote:
I know I've read a few times that you can even register with the embassy to say hey you are in the country but I've never done that myself and don't really recommend it unless possibly you are going somewhere that Americans never go and possibly not traveling by plane to get there.

I'd also check the state department's travel website to read up on your destination country
http://travel.state.gov/

you can register with the embassy via the internet and get bulletins via email but i know around here they're just periodic standard warnings. should there be some natural disaster, for example, they would know where you were if you were going somewhere risky- i doubt that's where you're headed though.

definitely photocopy everything, if you're going to medicate on the plane TRY IT OUT before; even so, i recommend against it if you're traveling alone [i've done the ambien zombie through customs thing and it was just dumb luck that i didn't get everything stolen from me]. i also suggest leaving a photocopy of your passport with someone, or an iphone picture, that way if you do have it stolen you can have someone send a copy to the embassy so you can get a new one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:43 am 
So Totally Yiffy

On giving others your documents, make sure someone knows your itinerary including flights (if you have them) and hotels/hostels (if you know where you're staying). Pretty much everywhere I've been even in remote places of the world have wifi at cafes and such so even if you can't give details ahead of time (winging it is always fun!!) make sure you check in with someone every few days.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Let the back of your travel journal double as a medicine journal. <3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:38 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

See if you can get someone to stay with the cats who will instagram them! I love seeing pics of my dogs when I check the computer so I know they are happy... and alive. Also, if you can, read the lonely planet or equivalent that always makes me feel like I know what to expect when you first get in. I never bring anything irreplaceable when traveling, I'm a total spaz about not losing things but I constantly remind myself that as long as I've got a credit card I'll be ok. On my first trip I made photocopies of my credit card and passport and put them in my pack in case of emergency so that might give you some piece of mind too.

As far as relaxing I read it's important to think about what your life is like at home and what you want to be different from that. For me, for example, my job is really boring so I pack in trips with multiple destinations and activities. My mom on the other hand has a super stressful job so she just likes to sit on the beach and go out to expensive dinners. My sister finds yoga classes to take and does other exercise on her own.

If you are traveling with someone who travels a lot make sure you get completely involved with the planning, don't expect to just follow their lead. That's what my boyfriend does and I think he doesn't have nearly as much fun as he could if he wasn't totally reliant on what I want to do. Because if it's up to me we are just going to eat a bunch of vegan food, go snorkeling, and seek out wildlife sightings. One of my friends that I went on a trip with is only interested in meeting people and playing music which is tortuously boring for me. I guess my point is to think about what makes you happy and what makes you feel centered and relaxed and try and make that your trip. You don't need to do whatever it is that people do when they go to your destination. Like if you are going to Paris and you really don't care about art skip the Louvre. You don't need to do go if it's not going to be what you want.

I remember I met a guy in Prague on one of my first trips who said something like, "you Americans are always going all over the place taking pictures of everything and never stopping, when I go to a new place I just find a cafe and sit there with a bottle of wine and take in the culture".

Maybe it seems obvious but it took me a while to figure that out.