| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mexico
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So I will be driving from Florida to LA soon and I would like to stop in Mexico on the way. Any suggestions of places along the border that would be fun/interesting to go?

Post subject: Re: Mexico
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:27 am 
WRETCHED

I know you probably already know this but you will need a passport to cross the border.

I find, a lot of the interesting places to be more on the interior or possibly on the coast. Some of that is part to a lot of the US/Mexico border being dessert and some of it is for cities along the US/Mexico border having a bad reputation for various things especially elevated crime in the last few years. Juarez, Mexico (Texas/New Mexico border area) was named one of the most violent cities in the world a few years ago and Nogales, Mexico (Arizona border crossing) apparently has a US travel advisory due to elevated drug gang violence. Mexican border towns are also known for drunken 18-20 year olds as the drinking age is 18 in Mexico.

I grew up in San Diego and crossed the border there many times and Tijuana isn't a bad city to get a meal but it is also a big, busy industrial city due to being on the border. I think Tijuana, like other border towns in recent years, isn't immune to the increased violence against Americans but it is probably the one I'd still choose. I enjoy personally driving down the Baja California coast which can take a couple hours from Tijuana. You'll still find lots of American tourists, some due to cruise ships but it is also easy enough to get away from them as well.

My parents watch too much of the news or maybe I watch too little, despite them being of Mexican descent, they have said they never plan to go back to Mexico due to the border town violence which makes me a little sad.

Post subject: Re: Mexico
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks for the info. I had been considering it might not be the best idea to go by myself, so now I see that might have been a wise decision. Perhaps I'll try driving down the coast after I've settled. I had heard Tijuana was a dangerous place to visit, but I didn't know about any other cities.