| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm coming to DC next week!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:30 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Hi there Washington DC area PPKers. I'm going to be staying in Alexandria, Virginia next week. I've never been to DC before. Please advise me; what must I absolutely do and see while I'm there? Where besides Sticky Fingers Bakery and Amsterdam Falafelshop must I eat? I plan on taking public transit pretty much everywhere. Can anyone recommend some vegan places downtown to stop for a bite when I get hungry while seeing the sights? Great breakfast or dinner spots in Alexandria? I'd also love to meet up with any of you live and in person. I'd be up for just meeting for coffee or lunch, or even having a PPKer for a tour guide for a day!

Post subject: Re: I'm coming to DC next week!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Awesome! I could meet up Tuesday afternoon. It's even a workday for us, so I can duck out early.

What do you enjoy doing? DC has something for everybody. I am very partial to Nat History though, and the National Gallery.

This is such a great time of year for DC--weather is still lovely and the hordes of tourists are mostly gone.

I wish I could be a good tour guide (done that duty a lot in years past!) but I just can't get around to do anything.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:02 pm 
WRETCHED

Hey! You might want to repost this is the main section because there are a few of us DC ppkers but I don't think any of us would look in the New England subforum.

Downtown DC doesn't have any specific vegan places that I can think of but Vegdc.com covers various places to eat in the DC area. I have heard that some of our Chipotles have sofritos and you will find some Chipotles in and around DC (I know not exciting). And it looks like Founding Farmers is downtown which has some good vegan options, I had their bacon burger not too long ago. Otherwise places that are more vegan friendly are generally a quick metro ride away.

Although LW mentions Tuesday, that is my worst day next week. What days are you here?

Oh and other places to eat, I love everlasting life or soul veg. I'd highly recommend either especially if you like soul/southern food. Oh and it looks like the falls church metro station is about a mile from the falls church sunflower vegetarian. That is a 99% vegan restaurant. I've only been to their other location but it is good. That might be a good dinner option for you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Z pizza in Alexandria has pretty good vegan pizza, and they deliver. They drown the pizza in Daiya though, so I always ask for light cheese.

The Falls Church sunflower is Pretty decent, but would be hard to get to unless you took a taxi--typical suburbs with nowhere to walk.

The Whole Foods in Alex is a really nice one with lots of prepared foods areas.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:19 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Everlasting Life cafe is a winner! They have the best mac n cheese.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:54 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Oh wow! I don't pay nearly enough attention to where everyone is from, but Lavawitch and linanil you are both awesome PPKers who I would LOVE love love to meet in person!!! Lavawich, Tuesday afternoon would be perfect! Where and when and what should we do and meet? We should probably pm to work out the details. Linail: I will be arriving late Sunday night and leaving early Saturday morning. Technically we will have a car as we are driving. But my spouse is going for work and I am tagging along for pleasure. I hate driving, to the point of phobia, especially in new places, and am good at getting lost. But I grew up in a major city and am very comfortable with public transit, so I plan on mostly exploring that way. Linanil, are Wednesday through Friday mornings or afternoons good for you? We could possibly do an evening thing, but I'm especially looking for people to hang out with during the day while I'm on my own. PM if it's getting to detailed for public posting. And thanks for the tip. I will post in the Foyer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:05 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Annabazoo, I don't remember you from previous threds, but thanks for the tip about Everlasting Life cafe, and I'd like to meet you too if you are interested and our schedules work out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:18 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Warning about public transit here: out of the city itself, it pretty much sucks. There is a metro stop in Alex, but getting to and from it is bad unless you take a bus. There is not really anywhere to walk unless you are around Old Town.

In DC proper, it's fabulous.

Tuesday is my only available day because Monday and Wednesday evening I teach. Tuesday, we have a pretty flexible schedule and nobody really cares what we do. I can work earlier than I usually do so I can be free by 12-1, then I'm free for the afternoon. Thursday I'm free after about 2:30-2:45.

I don't mind driving anywhere to meet, or picking you up and going somewhere, so location is up to you.

Post subject: Washington DC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:19 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I posted in the New England portion of The Square, but linanil suggested that I also post here because she thought a lot of DC PPKers might not thing to look there. So: I'll be in DC and Alexandria Virginia most of next week. Please advise me what to see and do and where to eat!
And if you'd like to meet up in person, that would be fun too!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:45 am 
WRETCHED

Yeah I don't know Virginia very well except the few spots. It isn't that bad to drive but for some reason I always get lost driving in Virginia, always! I'll check my calendar when I get to work to see, I have a meeting on Wednesday morning but I swore it moved to Tuesday so I have to relook at it.

Post subject: Re: Washington DC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:22 am 
protein lump

i think she meant to move it to the main part of the square since DC isn't in new england. which i did.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:24 am 
Naked Under Apron

we visit dc every now and again. we're from richmond and i absolutely love to park and ride the metro around. i think i would be happy spending a day in DC just riding the metro. :) i super love everlasting life cafe. (it looks like their actual website isn't working so i posted the facespace link)

we usually check the 9:30 club to see if anyone super fun is playing in town. i've had a pretty tasty calzone at busboys and poets, and i've always wanted to try amsterdam falafel because i've heard some rock'n reviews.

ooooh, dc is so much fun!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:37 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

esme wrote:
i think she meant to move it to the main part of the square since DC isn't in new england. which i did.

Ah, I see. Thanks. You can combine this thread with that one too if you like. Sorry about causing confusion!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was just in DC a couple of weeks ago for work. I was busy most of the time, but I did have *some* spare time to check out the city. I only had about a half day to check out the Smithsonian/Mall, but I feel like I could have spent a week wandering through all of the museums if I had the time. So my suggestion would be to take the Metro and go check that out. Bonus - admission is free!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:13 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

There is a shuttle or bus or something that will take me from my hotel to downtown DC.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:20 am 
WRETCHED

I checked my calendar, I'm available anytime friday or wednesday/thursday afternoon.

I agree that this is definitely time to visit DC although museums tend to close early (4:30? 5?). Do you have any particular interests?

If the weather is decent, the botanical gardens are supposed to be nice but I haven't been. Also, many people tend to like to eat Ethiopian when they here and although I don't think the best Ethiopian is in DC itself, there are some decent Ethiopian restaurants.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:52 am 
Nooch of Earl

Dama in Arlington was my favorite Ethiopian. It's connected to a vegan-friendly bakery as well!

There wasn't a whole lot in Alexandria proper when we lived there (we ate a lot of Zpizza), but if you're wiling to drive out to Fall's Church, Sunflower is decent.. There's a good sized Whole Foods on Duke St. in downtown Alexandria, and I also liked the MOM for a slightly different variety of foods. And of course you can't visit DC and not go to Sticky Fingers (Columbia Heights). Bread and Brew is good.. The VegDC restaurant guide is worth taking a look at. In general I thought the DC area had a lot of options at different places, but not a lot of really standout must-dos.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:58 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Linanil, I LOVE botanical gardens! I love Ethiopian food too. Whenever people ask me if I have any interests I draw a blank! Lets see, in general I enjoy: plants, art (especially contemporary), music (especially classical and jazz, but really anything good as long as it's not country), dance (ballet, ballroom, Latin, and other), books, wine, yoga, architecture, shoes, and of course vegan food. I'm not a big history buff, but I do want to soak lots up while I'm in DC.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:01 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Oh, yeah, forgot to say that any of those days you listed sound good for me linanil. If one of those days is better for you I'll be happy to go with that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:22 am 
WRETCHED

Oh and do you have plans for Monday as well?

The Air and Space Museum is fun if you are interesting in various aspects of commercial planes as well as things like the moon landing.

The Natural History Museum is one of the better Natural History Museums in the US and has the Hope Diamond which is a large attraction but the dinosaurs are my favorite thing there.

National Gallery of Art - has a lot of what you may consider famous painters and art from around the world.

American Art Museum focuses on ... American Art. Some definitely interesting aspects there.

Museum of American History has some cool pop culture items and such.

Freer Gallery of Art - This sounds familiar but I can't remember if I've been here but focuses on Asian art.

Hirshhorn Museum - This is where you would find more modern art

Spy Museum (NOT FREE) - I've been here once, it is an interesting museum if you are interested in the history of spying, including pop culture.

Renwick Gallery - focuses on contemporary American art.

Most of the museums are actually on the "Mall" so you can just walk around and wander in and out. during the summer, you sometimes see lines into the museum but it isn't summer!

And in terms of things that vegans may be wary of...

DC Aquarium - don't bother
DC Zoo - Free, a lot of people run here because it is hilly. They do have Pandas although I think they are in seclusion right now due to imminent birth/recent birth. I could be wrong.

And I found this.
http://dc.about.com/od/museums/tp/Best5Museums.htm

And I should also mention that I had a groupon for the museum of Crime & Punishment but don't really recommend it. If you love, love CSI then maybe. there is a very unvegan room that you have to walk through. I basically closed my eyes and had my husband lead me through the room because I couldn't look at it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:01 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I believe my husband has Monday off, so we are going to spend that day exploring together. Thanks for the detailed list linanil. My neighbor just suggested the air and space museum. That sounds very interesting to me. I'm interested in anything sciencey. I also want to explore some government stuff. It looks like I'm too late to book a white house tour, but is it possible to tour any other government buildings?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:16 am 
Tofu Pup

If you're interested in Ethiopian, I really like Ethiopic on H St NE in DC - they have a veggie platter that we always get. Ask for extra green beans!
http://www.ethiopicrestaurant.com/Home.html

And I'll second Busboys and Poets - they have a lot of tasty vegan options. (I always get the tempeh panini with sweet potato fries.)

If you want to venture out to the 'burbs (by car), the Eden Center in Falls Church is an all-Vietnamese shopping center that has some amazing food (and great people-watching). Song que deli has great fake-meat banh mi (you do have to tell them to hold the mayo, though) - http://songquedeli.com/

Also at the Eden Center, Thanh Son Tofu sells awesome and cheap tofu - http://www.edencenter.com/portfolio/thanh-son-tofu/

For non-food things to do, the Smithsonian museums and the monuments along the Mall are great - and free.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:34 am 
protein lump

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
esme wrote:

Ah, I see. Thanks. You can combine this thread with that one too if you like. Sorry about causing confusion!

done! and no worries!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Treasury, FBI, Library of Congress, etc all have tours.

The gardens around Fenwick/Hirshhorn are lovely. The Sackler museum (Asian art) and African History are overlooked gems.

If you like science, the arts and industries museum near the Smithsonian castle is fun. National Heographic has some exhibits sometimes.

I'd be up for Nat His a bit on Tuesday if you want. I dearly love that place and haven't been in ages. Maybe they have wheel chairs to borrow. (going into rock/mineral hall with me is DANGEROUS)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:45 pm 
WRETCHED

Ha! Maybe we could do our expert areas. I adore the air and space museum and it is quasi my expert area although my experience is indirect. I have wanted to go to the arts and industries museum as well. I'll PM you, after I talk to my husband.

Oh and although my Tuesday looks ugly, it may free up some at least to optional meetings. They keep canceling my important meeting.