| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JFK and Ronald Reagan Airports (NY and DC)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:19 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

So my cheapie ticket involves stops and a full day of travel before my international flight out. I will at some point require a meal, preferably at JFK (dinner will be on plane out of Miami, late).
I don't think I've ever found anything in JFK, but the layout is so weird that i could easily have overlooked it. As for Reagan, I've never flown through it before (cheap ticket, yeeha).
Any ideas besides Clif Bars and beer?

Post subject: Re: JFK and Ronald Reagan Airports (NY and DC)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:28 pm 
Semen Strong

I've gotten stuff at JFK at Panda Express - vegan avocado rolls and veg stirfries. Its not great, but it looks like there are better options - maybe some of the : http://ny.eater.com/archives/2011/12/th ... _guide.php

That link also has a link to restaurants at Ronald Reagan, where I am pretty sure I have eaten stuff, because I always manage to get stranded there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

super duper, thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I don't have any helpful suggestions (been a while since I was at either) but be careful at Panda Express! It was my grandma's favorite so I would happily eat there with her when I visited even though I got sick very time and it turned out even the vegetable dishes were cooked with chicken stock. Maybe this has changed or they have more options now???

Edited because I can't spell today.

Last edited by madeleine.teacup on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:15 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

it is a baggy favorite- every time she gets it (usually in Dallas, now that i think of it) I have a mexican option nearby and i have chips and salsa.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:29 pm 
WRETCHED

Reagan is a tiny airport, I've only flown out once. Based on their restaurants, you can get a burrito from Qdoba or California tortilla. Potbelly has a good PB&J (grape jelly).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:30 pm 
Semen Strong

We generally get the really crappy avocado rolls, but thank you for the heads up about the stirfry! I will definitely avoid in the future - their stuff tastes terrible and I pretty much just get it at airports if there isn't anything else. I asked and was told it had no animal products in it, but the staff there could easily have not understood exactly what I meant. And their website says: http://www.pandaexpress.com/company/#!/faq/Question-8 So not helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:44 pm 
Naked Under Apron

At JFK, if you go to CIBO Express (in terminals 5 and 8), they've got some refrigerated vegan stuff, from a restaurant in Chicago or something like that. Usually they've got eggplant parmesan, buffalo tofu bites, some noodle salad, and a couple other things. It's not the greatest food ever, and it's cold (though some of them have a microwave, I'm not sure if the containers are microwave safe), but it's actual vegan food.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:45 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Last time I checked the Panda Express website, which was probably about three years ago, it said that everything was made with a "flavor mixture" or something like that which included chicken. I wonder if they changed their recipe or just their website, since that answer now is really not helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:46 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Qdoba was the shizzle in Reagan. They also had Yuengling, so I got to eat, drink, and be merry. I am so glad you recommended it, because even though the airport was not so large, it was sort of hard to figure out where I was (it was like being lost in the mall) and there were a lot of shitty little mall food kiosks within the secure area, if i hadn't known how far it was and all (with only a 2 hour layover) i never would have risked it and would have been stuck with a sad salad and a black dunkin donuts coffee instead of spicy mexican and good beer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:47 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So Panda Express came up in conversation today and I remembered this thread! I was compelled to check the website again and not only is there also milk in the vegetable stirfry (what? why?) but also, straight from the Panda's mouth at the bottom of their Nutrition & Allergen PDF:

Panda Express wrote:
Panda Express does not have any vegetarian or gluten free dishes.

Panda Express, why do you make me obsess over how unfriendly to everyone but (most?) omnis you are?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:30 am 
WRETCHED

That is sad. I also remember in college? shortly after college? that there used to be a ton of Panda Panda restaurants where you could get food cooked fresh but then they all converted to Panda Express. I can't believe they put milk in the vegetables. I'm guessing it is as a preservative?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:51 pm 
Saggy Butt

I flew out of Reagan a few months ago and near the CA tortilla place, there's a food kiosk with posh food stuff in a fridge. I normally skip that because posh food=milk usually, but I needed water. (It has bottled juice and coffee and sandwiches and stuff like that.)

I didn't look at the chips or trail mix types of things (or the prepared foods), but they had divvies cookies, silk soy yogurt, silk soymilk (very vanilla, chocolate), and goody good stuff gummies. I bought a soymilk, yogurt, and gummies, which was a weird combo, but more of a "yes, please keep carrying vegan stuff" purchase.

It's a little pricey, but I didn't have to pay shipping on the candy!