| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buffalo/Niagara Falls
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:21 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

any good vegan or veg places to eat in Buffalo NY or around Niagara Falls (both US and Canadian side)?

any recommendations on what to do in Niagara Falls?

my BIL is graduating from dental in Buffalo in May and i said i wasnt going to go all the way to Buffalo and not see Niagara Falls. we will probably be there for a long weekend including the graduation.

we will have a 1 year old with us so we will be limited a bit.

Post subject: Re: Buffalo/Niagara Falls
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We ate a lot of Indian food in Niagara. Couldn't find much else worth eating. We brought Malka there when she was almost 1 and she really liked the parks on the NY side next to the falls, the flower gardens and promenades on the Canadian side, loved walking along the water and looking at it. Did not like the boat ride that goes up close to the falls, but there were several babies on the boat who seemed perfectly happy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:07 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yeah, for some reason the US side of the falls has a TON of Indian places, and really not too much else. As for what to do, see the falls. Go on the Maid of the Mist (the boat) if the weather is decent. That's really it.

I'll keep thinking of Buffalo stuff, but in recent years I've only ever been there for work and the odd concert here and there. I'd check out Yelp or VegOut for food ideas.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

omg i never come to this forum and i totally forgot i posted that!! hahaha!

thanks for the tips!

sadly we wont be going to any Indian places. i LOVE Indian food but my normally very unopinionated husband hates it. seriously he will eat anything you put in front of him except for raw tomatoes (or cooked tomato chunks), Indian food, or lemon hummus.
and he LOVES spicy food. so weird!

im also not sure what the plan is with the family group. i assume we will be doing a big dinner together so ill just cross my fingers it wont be a steakhouse. if the entire family goes as planned my SIL and her boyfriend are both vegetarian so at least there will be 3 of us to consider rather than just the vegan freak. (though to be honest my in law family is super supportive and nice so they would most likely make sure i had something to eat)

ill check out yelp and the happycow site for Buffalo. we will be staying in Buffalo. my MIL said we could change hotels after the graduation to go closer to the Falls but it kind of sounds like it/s really not that far to begin with?

thank Ariann for the toddler recs. sounds good. parks and walking areas sound perfect for a small tyke.
we;ll see how mobile she is at that point. at 9 months old she is showing no signs of any interest in mobility so i may be toting her around 100% in the ergo ;-)

the Maid of the Mist boat, can you go inside/downstairs if you have any unhappy baby who is scared or is it all open?

i should actually ask my parents they went several years ago for a week.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:56 pm 
Saggy Butt

i wish i had good advice, but i remember all my visits to niagara falls being pretty un-vegan friendly. a lot of salad, a lot of lightheadedness. part of it is because i usually go with my immediate family who can be difficult sometimes. (they are the type to park the car, and consider anything not within a 30 sec. walk of the car is a hassle, "i don't understand why you can't be flexitarian," refuse to stop at grocery stores, that sort of thing.)

the maid of the mist boats are pretty open, from what i remember, but there is a sheltered, but still open area in the middle of the deck. i enjoyed going behind the falls as well, but it don't remember it being worth the price? one of the observation decks emerges right beside the falls. there are package deals if you're interested in all the canadian side touristy things. if it's nice weather, niagara on the lake is nearby and pretty scenic for walking around and shopping for touristy things.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We hung out under the sheltered area during Maid of the Mist, but it really is not that sheltered. There's no indoor area. She screamed the entire flipping time. Every other baby on the boat was over the moon with glee.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:33 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We skipped the maiden of the mist because I was worried that if she hated it, there is not escape plan. It looked like she might be scared by all that water. We had a nice day just walking around. I think the Canadian side is so much nicer for walking.

I think we had Ethiopian in buffalo? Can't remember.