| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to do on a 15 hour flight?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:12 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I mean, the usual stuff, right? Movies, music, video games. But what have been your experiences on super long flights? I imagine people going nuts in the aisles, but that probably doesn't happen.

PS Terry and I are going to Australia!!!!

Post subject: Re: What to do on a 15 hour flight?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:18 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Stay up for like 48 hours ahead of time and then sleep the whole thing away! You miss the inflight movie, sure, but everyone ignores you during the riots.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:20 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Get an aisle seat. You'll have some extra room to stretch your leg, easier to get to the toilet too.

Bring some cookies cause air plane food isn't that great or that much.
Drink enough water and try to sleep a little bit. Bring something to cover your eyes or head so you have less influence of light when you want to sleep.

Depending on the time differences it can help to miss out on some sleep before departure. That way you'll sleep easier during the flight.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:42 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

It wasn't a flight, but I took a 24+ hour bus trip once. I bought some sleeping pills at the first truck stop we pulled over at, and slept for about half of the trip. I highly recommend this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

A friend of mine who travels often told me that brushing your teeth during a long flight goes a lot way towards making you feel human again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:02 pm 
And you never will.

+1 to aisle seat. And lots of snacks (seriously, lots of snacks), and drink plenty of water. You can get dehydrated easily on long plane trips, plus it kind of forces you to get up once in a while to walk to the lavatory. You should get up and walk periodically because you'll feel like shiitake if you don't. Otherwise, the usual. Movies, books, magazines. Take your own headphones.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:03 pm 
And you never will.

And if you plan on sleeping, get one of those neck pillow things. Totally worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:07 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

stroganoff.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:09 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

If you can sleep, do that. I actually prefer the window seat for max sleeping potential. I like to bring my own pillow--if you bring a strap you can fold it over and strap it to your carry-on for easy transport. Also I like to bring along purely trashy magazines, movies, and e-books that are mindlessly entertaining instead of deciding that my flight is a great time to finally tackle Infinite Jest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:18 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Find a fellow passenger with something to say. I once got about 8 hours of talk from a guy about his time in Vietnam and exposure to Agent Orange.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:20 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Go with a theme for your entertainment choices, like, all of Ray Liotta's movies, only reality shows, or everything X-Men.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I wound up in the exit row on my last long flight, and at first I was disappointed (no window, smaller tray table) but I soon realized it was an absolute godsend. I could stretch out my legs ALL THE WAY, and it was literally my first time ever getting a wink of sleep on an airplane. Made such a huge difference. I will try to score a seat in the exit row every time I fly overseas from now on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:53 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Nebraskalaska wrote:
It wasn't a flight, but I took a 24+ hour bus trip once. I bought some sleeping pills at the first truck stop we pulled over at, and slept for about half of the trip. I highly recommend this.

I don't recommend doing this on a plane, I tried it once and I got super forked up. I had to throw up in that tiny bathroom. It was the worst and it was just, like NyQuil, or something totally normal and over the counter.

I would bring a TV series of something super addictive like Veronica Mars or Breaking Bad. And lots of podcasts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:04 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Yes, watch Veronica Mars. One of us, oneeeeee offffff usssssss...

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:18 pm 
And you never will.

Wait, has Isa not seen Veronica Mars? Forget everything I already said. Watch VM for 15 hours straight.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:21 pm 
Semen Strong

Since you're going to be with Terry you could write another cookbook!

Mad Veganomnomicon II: The Vegan Road Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:36 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Or, the Airtravel Vegan Cookbook. New and inventive recipes using airplane peanuts, orange juice, ginger ale, and claustrophobia.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:37 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

LazySmurf wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:

I don't recommend doing this on a plane, I tried it once and I got super forked up. I had to throw up in that tiny bathroom. It was the worst and it was just, like NyQuil, or something totally normal and over the counter.

Hmm now I'm worried because I was planning on doing this on the red eye I'm taking in a few weeks. I just want to sleep the flight away!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:43 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

poopiebitch wrote:
And if you plan on sleeping, get one of those neck pillow things. Totally worth it.

I really need to do that next time I fly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:44 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

sisterlegume wrote:
A friend of mine who travels often told me that brushing your teeth during a long flight goes a lot way towards making you feel human again.

yessss. this is the most amazing thing.

my usual tactic is a window seat, and infinite naps. if you can pack a sandwich (TLT type of thing) or banana bread or something, you'll be doing fine. pack for warm weather (obvs). sunglasses. sunscreen. I skip the neck pillow, but I'll usually pack an extra hoodie to make a pillow out of (they curl around great, and the drawstrings keep it together!)..though you'll probably be given a pillow and a blanket. eat pretty much everything you have before you land, because customs in Australia is ridiculous.

the jetlag is the worst part. though, going US->AU usually isn't so bad (it's the other way that always screws me). the best advice I've had was to always eat meals at the right times, even if you go for naps between them

sad you've missed the radical grocery though.

do me a favour and high five Liam at the show in Melbourne, because he's a forking cool guy. (he'll be playing with Jamie Hay)

and, you know, pat a wallaby and cuddle a quokka. the usual.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:45 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Nebraskalaska wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:

Hmm now I'm worried because I was planning on doing this on the red eye I'm taking in a few weeks. I just want to sleep the flight away!

I think with the low air pressure, that's a recipe for forking yourself over in ways you don't really expect!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:18 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

yes, if you are traveling alone don't medicate yourself- it's a recipe for waking up in a detention center somewhere. Missing a kidney.

another +1 for those blowup neck pillows. And toothbrush and bring some face cream.

usually for my 15+ hour flights, a crossword puzzle is enough to keep me busy til the electronic devices are allowed, and then begins the parade of food, alcohol, and panic attack-induced insomnia that lasts til we land.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:56 pm 
Chip Strong

Ugh, I've done the Van to Sydney flight so many times and I hate it! Buy lots of bottled water once you are through security -they don't give you nearly enough on the flight. Wear super comfy clothes, and bring a change of fresh clothing-especially undies to change into before the plane lands and wipes-anything to keep yourself feeling clean, you will feel so gross otherwise.

One thing no one tells you is that in Australia the flight attendants are required to spray the cabin and overhead storage for 'bugs' on incoming international flights, before passengers can leave the plane -it's a bit unnerving to be sprayed if you're not expecting this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Maybe something like a small cross stitch kit? Do they allow those plastic needles?

I usually read, do crosswords, or, mostly look out the window. I always get window seats and never tire of looking out and watching the gps on the seat back screen.

I get claustrophobic, so window seats are a must for me. I can turn towards the window and pretend I'm not sardined in among a hundred people.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:31 pm 
WRETCHED

Try your best to sleep, that passes the time the most. You could buy some eye covers and ear plugs which may help. Last long distance flight I did, they provided a little package that included socks, ear plugs and an eye cover. You can also just binge on movies as most long distance flights should have your own tv with a selection of various movies.

And mostly... you just suck it up. The last flight I had coming back, the airport had a little spa place where you could purchase time to take a shower. I think I paid $15-20 and it was so worth it. If you have a connecting flight that is, it might be something to look for.