| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What to do on a 15 hour flight?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Zinc lozenges in case there are people with colds on board!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:50 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

I always bring my Kleen Kanteen bottle (empty through security) with me and have found that after the main services are over on the plan there are usually attendants hanging out in the back who are happy to give me as much water as I want.

I could choose my own movies on the plane and there were some awesome documentaries and foreign films I would not have otherwise been exposed to.

During the dead hours of the trip it's sometimes possible to find a place to do a little stretching.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:51 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I have found that plastic needles and wooden knitting needles are usually allowed. I always have plastic crochet needles, too.

Also, water bottles- if you have a metal or nalgene or whatever, have it empty with the top off as you go through security. Then once you get through the security wicket you can go fill it up at a water fountain or sink. And usually on a long flight if you go ask the cabin crew if they could fill up the bottle for you (so you don't have to nag them so often for cups) they are happy to do it.

ETA jinx SZ!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:02 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I think nobody mentioned ear plugs yet, but I do use them. It won't take away all the noise but with long flights it makes it easier to relax or at least the constant noise won't irritate you that much.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:18 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

torque wrote:

ETA jinx SZ!

:D
Great minds!

I've always just kept the cap on and have not had an issue. Yet!

- - -

I've never brought earplugs but ear buds and ipod go without saying, right?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:40 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

IsaChandra wrote:
I mean, the usual stuff, right? Movies, music, video games. But what have been your experiences on super long flights? I imagine people going nuts in the aisles, but that probably doesn't happen.

PS Terry and I are going to Australia!!!!

Is this for Breville?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:40 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Veg_Eric wrote:
I think nobody mentioned ear plugs yet, but I do use them. It won't take away all the noise but with long flights it makes it easier to relax or at least the constant noise won't irritate you that much.

oh Lard yes. I use earbud headphones, noise cancelling type. I notice that not only does it make it so I'm not yelling and deaf when I get off the plane, but I also have less frequent ear pain/balance issues when I fly a lot. I put them in before takeoff and do not take them out til the plane door opens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:45 pm 
Chard Martyr

Mini bottles of wine.

Oh and FORCE yourself to read that book you have that you know is good and that you'll love but for some stupid reason on the ground you always give up on it.

And watch Grease 2, duh.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:24 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I got a neck pillow with bead-y things in it at some fancy gadget store, and it's been my travel buddy for the past 10-ish years. FAR superior to the inflatable kind, and it straps right on to the top of my luggage.

I'm a fan of entertainment that doesn't require a lot of concentration. Trashy mags, puzzle books, things like that. I get easily distracted. If I'm lucky, I can knock out a novel on a plane, but not if there's noise.

If you don't already have your seats, you absolutely want an aisle or window. I once flew from Atlanta to Paris sandwiched between two men who were each large enough to fully encroach on my space. I didn't get an armrest the entire flight. Sleep was out of the question, because I CANNOT be touching strangers. So I was stuck in the most uncomforable upright position for basically the whole flight. Miserable.

Oh, and another vote for brushing your teeth. Also, those disposable face wipes are the best. I always feel so gross after a long flight, so anything that can help to freshen up is a big deal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:21 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

movies movies movies. probably whatever airline that's flying to Australia is going to have decent choices, like ~sz said--more variety, some archive type stuff like Saturday Night Fever, etc and even the latest Oscar nominated films. I use the time to catch up on Hollywood shiitake I wouldn't pay to see in a theater. I've flown to Aus several times, the long way round (east coast US to west coast Aus), and like others I find I can't concentrate much on reading, and sleep can be difficult. Agree with earplugs or ideally noise cancelling headphones. I have found the jet lag diet to be helpful with adjusting on arrival.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:35 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

In my experience, no matter what, by hour 10 or 11 you just feel uncomfortable and bored and done with the whole thing. That's a good time to force yourself to sleep some more. The most physiological position to sleep on a plane (especially if you have a sensitive back) is sitting straight, hugging a big pillow or a backpack and resting your chin on it.

Also, I completely agree with the suggestions to carry toothpaste and a toothbrush, face cream, possibly hand sanitizer, and a big bottle of water. Check what size of liquid containers your airline and journey leg allow.

Unrelated, but if you don't have a mileage card yet, get one. A flight that long is worth a lot of miles.
Enjoy Australia!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:45 am 
Seagull of the PPK

you should, once you figure out what flight you're on, be able to go to the carrier's site and see what films, music, etc they have.
definitely check the TSA website about what's allowed in your carryon and such this week.
We also go and buy paperbacks from garage sales, library extras, etc and they are the flight's trashy read. Leave them on the plane when you're done.

I haven't done the US to Asia run in a few years, but the jet lag always hits me upon arrival to Asia, no matter whether it's my return trip or my first leg. See if you can factor in half a day, at least, of just chillin' when you get there. They say that sunlight on the back of your legs helps you to reset your clock so maybe see if you can get outside a little bit (don't fall asleep in the frying sun like a sunbathing lizard though).

and of all the things, doesn't anyone have any suggestions on food for flights to Oz? Different carriers have different rules about when you can order your veg meal, they're all different, but I was surprised that on my last American flight I had to order the meal when I purchased the ticket (thought that was odd). Usually they need at least 24h notice, and some carriers require you call to "remind them" 24h before.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:50 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Interesting, I've always booked my meal at the same time as my flight, and confirmed when checking in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:06 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I agree on everything said, especially walking to the back of the plane to chat with the attendants and do some stretching/yoga every now and then. The last 13 hours flight I was on was nightmarish as I was awake the whole time, so try to sleep as much as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:14 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I try to take something I want to do, but never make time for. Once I watched terrible movies, because. Another time I wrote a comic. Last time I brought Learn Tamil and Learn Dutch books, also because.

Double check that your veg option is vegan, not veg. Aisle or window. Washcloth with soap (washing your face is as humanizing as brushing your teeth), with two pairs of underwear and a clean shirt in your carryon. Ditto what Josh said about hugging a hoodie to sleep. Also, fresh fruit! I've loved having mandarins or crunchy peppers on flights. And water, lots of it. And earplugs (try a few out before you go).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:16 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I sleep by spinning around and curling up into the back of my chair, but I've been doing that on long haul flights since I was a kid (and do yoga). It's the only way I can sleep and I great great looks from everyone when I wake up confused and with awesome hair.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:00 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i'm envisioning you spinning like a top in your seat.

another thing you might consider if you have a big weather change (like NY to Brazil in January, I imagine yours might be a big one) is bring a fresh T shirt, clean undies, and a pair of flip flops in your carry on. When you deplane, before you get your luggage, go to the bathroom and humanize yourself. This also can help if you are trying to avoid customs scrutiny of your luggage, but that's a whole 'nother thread......

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:45 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

for food, I always request vegan when making reservation, and call airline 24 hours in advance to confirm. It's a pain to call and usually requires a long hold time, but I've been screwed in the past so I make a habit of doing this on international flights. (ETA: at check-in is too late, they won't be prepared). I don't worry too much about bringing food unless I'm on the jet lag diet and then I might bring some extra protein. However, chocolate always.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:46 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Don't look at your watch. No. Matter. What.

Don't look at your watch until you're sure at least 8 hours have gone by, and then wait till what feels like another two hours. Postpone looking at your watch as long as you humanly can. Once you finally look, resist the temptation to check again until you cannot possibly stand it.

This is the best tip for dealing with a 15 hour flight you will receive.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:50 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Don't look at your watch. No. Matter. What.

Don't look at your watch until you're sure at least 8 hours have gone by, and then wait till what feels like another two hours. Postpone looking at your watch as long as you humanly can. Once you finally look, resist the temptation to check again until you cannot possibly stand it.

This is the best tip for dealing with a 15 hour flight you will receive.

Seriously. On a similar note: if they have one of those little flight tracker maps on the monitors, do everything you can to avoid seeing it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:55 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Pinko wrote:
Seriously. On a similar note: if they have one of those little flight tracker maps on the monitors, do everything you can to avoid seeing it.

whaaat! those things are the best. you'll see a billion little South Pacific islands that you didn't know existed :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:56 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I have family in Australia and have tackled this flight a ton of times! I always sit down, watch a movie or 2 (the Australian airlines usually have a great selection of Australian movies to watch!), eat my dinner, and then take a dramamine and go to sleep until breakfast. The dramamine really helps me sleep. Also: window seat so you can lean against the side of the plane to sleep and no one wakes you up to climb over you and go to the bathroom.

Like other folks have said, bring a toothbrush and some face wipes on board, and before we land I wash my face and brush my teeth. If you fly Qantas or Air NZ they bring around hot washcloths before landing, which is awesome. The cheaper airlines don't do that.