| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Orleans Spring 2014
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hey y'all, I'm super excited to go to NOLA next week for my sister's wedding, I've been through the old threads and I've checked out New Orleans in Green, Melissa Bastian's site, she also made an awesome map of vegan New Orleans places.

This is also what she personally sent to me since I'll be staying in the central business district

Quote:
Seed, a new vegan restaurant that just opened up in the CBD. I haven't been there yet, but I hear it's amazing.

Also in that neck of the woods is Carmo - they make vegan versions of Caribbean food that's unlike anything available elsewhere in the city.

If you're looking for classic "New Orleans" food, I'd check out The Praline Connection in the Marigny (just on the far side of the French Quarter). It's a little touristy, but it's fun and the servers are friendly, and their beans and rice dishes are both authentic and totally vegan. This is a good answer if you're with others who want jambalaya and such.

I'm recently in love with Louisiana Pizza Kitchen on the Esplanade end of the Quarter. It looks out onto the French Market, which is fun. They have vegan cheese (daiya) and "meat" (beyond meat chicken) toppings for their pizzas, as well as pastas, sandwiches, and wraps. Ask for their vegan menu for an easy way to see all of their great veg options. They've been carrying vegan desserts lately too!

Speaking of the French Market, if you're there and hungry but don't want to take the time for a sit-down restaurant, check out the MEALS FROM THE HEART CAFE lunch counter. Their "vegan shake" is a meal all by itself!

The Green Goddess is the best spot for a beautiful afternoon, especially if you want a cocktail (their cocktail menu is longer than their food menu!). Seating inside is very limited, so they have tables in Exchange Alley near the St. Louis Cathedral. Just tell the server you're vegan and they will make sure you get amazing food!

If you wanna eat in a bar, check out 13 Monaghan, also in the Marigny. It's a kitchen in the back of a bar with a few good veg options.

If you can get across town to the Riverbend, you MUST go to Breads on Oak! They have THE most incredible baked good I've ever eaten, including in NYC.

The best vegan brunch in town is still at Santa Fe Tapas (Saturdays only).

And finally, Dreamy Weenies, New Orleans is freaking amazing. It's at the very top of the French Quarter, across from the beautiful Armstrong Park. The owners are so awesome, and it might just be the most inclusive restaurant in Nola. Very worth a visit - the park and the restaurant!!

So, she's amazing!

Anything else I have to try? Vietnamese is my favorite. I also want Breads and Oaks.

Post subject: Re: New Orleans Spring 2014
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:54 pm 
Hip Goiter

Bumping this because I am going to New Orleans in a few weeks! Anything new?

Laughfrodisiac

Post subject: Re: New Orleans Spring 2014
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Here is my post from my trip, I had the most amazing food! Don't miss Breads on Oak, make your whole plan around when they are open :)

http://lazysmurf.wordpress.com/2014/04/ ... w-orleans/