| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Montréal Vegan Pizza Place
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:07 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Hey Montréalers!

I just came back from Boston and ate at an amazing vegan pizza place and I think Montréal needs one!
I am seriously thinking about doing something like this.... would love to here from Vegan/Veggie montréalers if a vegan pizza joint is something that they would want. Delivery is a must. Daiya cheese, whole wheat crusts, organic veggies, small baked goods, etc.

Let's make some noise!!!

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Montréal Vegan Pizza Place
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I would patronize your place for sure, but I would suggest you don't use Daiya or at least have other options for vegan cheese. I'm not particularly fond of Daiya and I know a lot of other people who aren't either. There are other good options- like the newer, improved stretchy Teese and even Follow Your Heart has improved their recipe. Cheezly is great but might be too exspensive for wholesale?

But it would be awesome if you did this!

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:13 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I would definitely look into other cheese options than Daiya.
I have tried the Teese that comes in the white wrapper (kind of like Pillsbury cookies) but I felt it was a bit watery. Maybe it would be different on a pizza!

I had a calzone at Peace o pie and although it was filled with Daiya, I didn't notice anything other than cheesy goodness mixed in with all the toppings. Maybe it's not as good on a slice?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:21 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

That's awesome! I would totally patronize it if I were in montreal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

reesepryde wrote:
I had a calzone at Peace o pie and although it was filled with Daiya, I didn't notice anything other than cheesy goodness mixed in with all the toppings. Maybe it's not as good on a slice?

yeah I think it's really bad on top of slices, for some reason. It definitely is better inside of things like calzones. I'd just like to see more places offering options other than Daiya, not necessarily getting rid of it because I know a lot of people do like it. It's just annoying because it seems like every pizza place suddenly switched to Daiya when it first came out.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:38 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I love Daiya on pizza slices. I like to get plain cheese pizza with only daiya but I get other toppings sometimes, too. I put daiya on my biscuits and gravy. Some people just have different tastes. Excitement overwhelms me about the new teese recipe.

Although, I am not a good market survey-ee because I am not in Montreal, so maybe you gotta hit the streets? Find those dairy intolerant and those vegans. Ask them questions!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:47 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I can't imagine ANY vegan who would turn down a slice of pizza!
At least thats what my bf told me last night, lol.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:12 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

reesepryde wrote:
Hey Montréalers!

I just came back from Boston and ate at an amazing vegan pizza place and I think Montréal needs one!
I am seriously thinking about doing something like this.... would love to here from Vegan/Veggie montréalers if a vegan pizza joint is something that they would want. Delivery is a must. Daiya cheese, whole wheat crusts, organic veggies, small baked goods, etc.

Let's make some noise!!!

I suggest you try talking a small local pizza chain to offer a vegan option... like Tomato / Fresh & Fabulous.
Vivres used to do pizza, but for some reason they stopped.

Tweet me @meansoybean

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:51 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Does 49 cent pizza still exist? It's not vegan, but I used to eat there all the time when I was in university (when I was vegetarian, not vegan). I vote for vegan 49 cent pizza! But really, any vegan pizza by the slice is awesome, and I'd patronize it when I come to visit my sister.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:17 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:
Does 49 cent pizza still exist? It's not vegan, but I used to eat there all the time when I was in university (when I was vegetarian, not vegan). I vote for vegan 49 cent pizza! But really, any vegan pizza by the slice is awesome, and I'd patronize it when I come to visit my sister.

Haha, those were the (pre-vegan) days! Super thin crust, a hole-in-the-wall joint brimming with students. What was it, a slice and a drink for $1.50, 2 slices and a drink for $2? I think that place lasted a year or two.

Now, you'd definitely have a money-losing venture on your hands if you sold pizza at 49 cents a slice. i doubt you could sell a basic vegan pizza (crust, sauce and some veggies) for 49 cents. I don't even think 99 cent pizza places exist any longer. Inflation has put an end to that.

One place that I suggest, and is vegan friendly, in the area (near Guy and de Maisonneuve) is Al Taiib. It's a middle eastern restaurant that's open 24/7 so a lot of cab drivers hang out there. They have a salad bar that's charged by weight (usually very fresh) and you can get spinach only fatayers that are really good! Order a za-taar (no cheese) at the counter and have it dressed up the way you want! Very cheap.. about $2 and one is very filling. Take some to go for later too.

Tweet me @meansoybean

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:28 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

mean soybean wrote:
reesepryde wrote:
Hey Montréalers!

Let's make some noise!!!

I suggest you try talking a small local pizza chain to offer a vegan option... like Tomato / Fresh & Fabulous.

I doubt I could get them to carry Daiya cheese. There was a tomato near me but it just closed.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:31 pm 

reesepryde wrote:
mean soybean wrote:
reesepryde wrote:
Hey Montréalers!

Let's make some noise!!!

I doubt I could get them to carry Daiya cheese. There was a tomato near me but it just closed.

I suspect there was only the one Tomato location.

Well, I've always wanted to open a vegan bakery/cafe, and I would do pizza, but it's complicated to me. I'd only want to deal with the food part and not get too deep into the business part. If food carts were allowed in Quebec, I'd totally quit my day job and do that. I figure there's less red tape in food carts.

Food related, but not in the same sense, Viva Granola will be opening a physical location in January. I hope for their sake they can survive, what with the responsibility of rent, etc.

Tweet me @meansoybean

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:48 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Are you from Montreal?
A food truck would be really cool! I've seen regular ones around before.
Ive been looking at some resto's for rent and a lot are turnkey so it's just about finding the right location.
And partnering up with a la carte express so that there's delivery.
I'm dying to open something up.

I think viva will do fine. When I first starting ordering from them they weren't even charging taxes (because they hadn't sold enough) and then taxes appeared and now they're moving into a store. I have a feeling they've grown a lot recently. I know that it's going to be my one stop shop from now on.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:30 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Oh man, I saw the name of this thread and was like "Montreal Road trip time!!!". Soooo, yes, please open a pizza place there that would just make an awesome city even awesomer. You can get Diya on Pizza here in Toronto, at a place called the Magic Oven. I like Diya on pizza. You just have to be careful to not use to much I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:57 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I would be a regular customer and probably gain mad weight because of it.
I'd suggest a few different cheese types, I know FYH is the only vegan cheese I've found doesn't taste like bum.
Plus, there's always the cheeseless options like crumbled fried tofu or bbq sauce instead. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:30 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Glad to know that if I opened this, I'd get customers. lol

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:22 am 
Tofu Pup

MMMMMM, Vegan pizza. I will definitely come if you open up a vegan pizza place. Montreal needs one!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:29 pm 

reesepryde wrote:
Are you from Montreal?
A food truck would be really cool! I've seen regular ones around before.
Ive been looking at some resto's for rent and a lot are turnkey so it's just about finding the right location.
And partnering up with a la carte express so that there's delivery.
I'm dying to open something up.

I think viva will do fine. When I first starting ordering from them they weren't even charging taxes (because they hadn't sold enough) and then taxes appeared and now they're moving into a store. I have a feeling they've grown a lot recently. I know that it's going to be my one stop shop from now on.

Yup, from Montreal. I think it's sad how Toronto has more veg*n places than us. Though, we have Chu Chai...
I think Viva will do better if they start offering shoes like Vegan Essentials. In terms of Canadian online vegan shops, theirs has the most stuff.
Make sure a la carte doesn't charge you too much. Might be better if you get a guy with a car at first. Also, very important, you need a business plan and start-up capital!

aleshiaramone wrote:
I'd suggest a few different cheese types, I know FYH is the only vegan cheese I've found doesn't taste like bum.

I post a lot about pizza on my blog and FYH is my cheese of preference because it's widely available and I know how to make it melt, as opposed to every other person who talks about their melting-woes online.

Tweet me @meansoybean

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:26 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I'm so glad you liked your calzone at Peace o Pie! That's one of my favorite "reward" foods (I achieve something and then treat myself to a calzone, haha).

I would be so super-thrilled if there was a vegan pizza place in Montreal! I haven't been up there in about two years, but it's one of my favorite places to go do a quick vacation when I can afford, and pizza is always such a nice option!

Besides, everywhere needs a vegan pizza place.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:44 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

DarthCupcake wrote:

Besides, everywhere needs a vegan pizza place.

Yes, everyone needs pizza

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:37 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I would totally eat there when I go to montreal! Dooo eeet.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:56 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I'd love it! As I said in the past, Montreal do have some bright spots but I feel like it lacks quite a few type of restaurants. Pairing your pizza place with a few greasy junk food items like philly cheese steak or corndogs would be even better imo!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:08 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Ben Line of Fire wrote:
I'd love it! As I said in the past, Montreal do have some bright spots but I feel like it lacks quite a few type of restaurants. Pairing your pizza place with a few greasy junk food items like philly cheese steak or corndogs would be even better imo!

Oh yeah I would totally do homemade "burgers", chikn wings, fried polenta, calzones, and desserts!!!!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]