| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Owl House - Rochester, NY
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:23 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

http://www.owlhouserochester.com

Has anyone been here slash is this place new slash should I make my parents take me when I head home for Christmas?

Post subject: Re: The Owl House - Rochester, NY
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:12 am 
Not NOT A Furry

pastabake wrote:
http://www.owlhouserochester.com

Has anyone been here slash is this place new slash should I make my parents take me when I head home for Christmas?

I have not been here, but the menu looks amazing with all of the vegan options (those vegan mozzarella sticks sound awesome!). I read one of the news stories and one of the co-owners is vegan. So I'd definitely check it out!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:49 am 
ugh

Thanks for posting this! My boyfriend is from Rochester; it'll be nice to have somewhere to go when we visit his family & friends there.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:36 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I went here today! It's definitely worth visiting, especially in vegan-restaurant deficient Rochester. Nice to have a place that clearly states (a) what's already vegan and (b) what can be made vegan w/substitutions (mostly daiya for dairy cheese). They also had menus out for a prix fixe 3-course NYE meal that looks really, really tasty ($35 each or $50 w/ wine and beer pairings. I took a menu and can post it if anyone's interested.). Lots of gluten-free options, too, although I can't speak for those. I know they also had a gluten free beer available.

The food:

We shared an order of the rosemary/black pepper fries. They were ok, but nothing really special, and I could only taste the rosemary on a couple of the fries I ate. I'd probably go with the cigarillos or mozzarella sticks next time.

For my main meal, I had the saigon, a bahn mi type sandwich with pickled veggies, cilantro-lime marmalade, roasted garlic vegenaise, and house-smoked tofu. It was pretty good, and they didn't skimp on the vegenaise (!), but I wish the bread had been better; it was a little too chewy and tough for my taste. The house-smoked tofu was flavorful enough to taste, but not flavorful enough to take away from the vegenaise/roasted garlic/pickled vegetables/marmalade. I liked the flavors together, and the cilantro lime marmalade was a nice difference from the usual bahn mi I order. I'd get it again, I think, especially if they improved the bread.

Dining partner #1 had a lentil burger, which came topped with various vegetables and the same roasted garlic vegenaise as my sandwich. I didn't try it, but he seemed to really enjoy it and is kind of a veggie burger connoisseur so I trust him. Dining partners #2 and 3 had omni options, but both said they really liked their dishes. The taco dish that dining partner 3 had came with a side of black bean/corn salad that I tried--very good. Would eat, and you can order the tacos with tofu, so maybe next time.

We also shared a Stone Ruinination IPA, delicious as always, and the rest of the taps also looked good, although one friend complained of the paucity of decent light beers (She likes hefeweizens et al.).

I was also BUSY; we waited about 35 minutes for a table, but it was right down the street from the co-op so we browsed there while waiting. Our server said it was "at least four times as busy" as most lunchtimes, but reservations might be a good idea anyway, and probably a necessity at dinner. They were also out of the mozzarella sticks, so maybe get there early if you're dead set on getting those.

Anyway, all in all an awesome addition to Rochester's restaurant scene, and I'll definitely go back, perhaps at dinner so I can try one of their entree specials.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks for that fantastic review pastabake! That Saigon sandwich was looking good on the menu so I'm glad that it got your thumbs up (for the most part). Next time I'm in Rochester, I'll have to check this place out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:26 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Oh my goodness!! I'll have to go next time I am visiting my family!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:03 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hey there,

I'm new to the forum but thought I should sign up to reply to this thread. Honestly I'm not very impressed with The Owl House. I feel like its popularity is more a case of local vegans wanting the food to be good, wanting it desperately, but it just never seems to be very good any time I go. It's like the owners are trying too hard to be fancy and newfangled, but the dishes don't seem to come together properly. The appetizers are pretty good but I've hated the mains each time :( I'd suggest going to Lento instead. It's a little pricey but totally worth it (and way easier to find parking!). I have a vegan blog in Rochester and I've reviewed a bunch of different places, so here's a link to all the posts tagged with "restaurants". It should give you a few ideas about places to go (and not to go!) in Rochester.

http://www.afreshnewstomach.com/search/ ... estaurants