| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mt. Rushmore/South Dakota area - Vegan eats?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:07 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

We are thinking about going to South Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore, the Badlands, Deadwood, etc.
I know last year when I was doing some research and I was vegetarian, I was thinking it was slim pickings. I'm really worried about not having anything to eat. Does anyone have any expertise in traveling as a vegan in this area?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Mt. Rushmore/South Dakota area - Vegan eats?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:52 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My partner is originally from that area and we went out last summer to visit his family and friends. Restaurants are slim pickings indeed. We went to Saigon Cafe in Rapid City and it was great. If you get a chance check out Black Hills Bagels. They have great bagels and lots of spreads instead of cream cheese (we had hummus and veggies). Plus it's a local place that's really popular. There are also two little organic markets but we didn't make it to either. Some standard chain restaurants are also around.

As far as stuff to do, you owe it to yourself to go to the Crazy Horse Memorial. We skipped Mt. Rushmore because it's so commercial and went to Crazy Horse which was amazing. It costs a bit ($10 for adults or a charge by the carload) but it includes admission to the museum and everything. Custer State Park is also cool and we saw lots of buffalo and some pronghorn antelope and bighorn sheep. There are also nice picnic spots there for a nice tomato-avocado sandwich :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:48 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks for the bagel place (I love that they have spreads), heck I guess if I had to order a sandwich to take out each day I could always pack a lunch for me. That wouldn't fly for my family, lol. I know that when I was looking almost every place was steak, steak, buffalo steak and more steak. Hardly any veggie options let alone vegan options. I've done searches on the internet too and pretty much nothing comes up.

I do remember there was one vegetarian restaurant in Rapid City. We plan on making Rapid City our home base and going out from Rapid City eatch day. I think last year I found a Hampton Inn that had a military discount at a very reasonable rate. Hampton Inn's usually have a breakfast buffet too, that usually include fruit and sometimes oatmeal, although i'd probably bring my own oatmeal and make vegan overnight oats for breakfast with some peanut butter (using bananas from the breakfast buffet).

We D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y plan on doing Crazy Horse. We are probably going to spend close two weeks there with driving (we are planning to pick up my daughter who is in college on the way there) and then drop her off and move her into her apartment right before the semester starts. Although I think the sturgis bike rally is during this time I'm thinking of, so I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

We drove through here on an epic cross-country move a few years ago. It is a very rough area to be vegan. We also ate at Saigon and had a terrific meal with ample leftovers for our next day drive. We stayed in a very sweet B and B near Mount Rushmore (which itself was a major disappointment, I emphatically do not recommend going there) with hot tubs and sweet cabins. Deadwood was fun, especially since we loved the tv show. The graveyard on the hill is beautiful. We were there during the Sturgis rally and it was very intense--and everything goes up in price during that time and accommodations grow very expensive and scarce, so be sure to book very very far in advance. There are thousands of bikers everywhere in this part of the country during this time. It was overwhelming. In Deadwood, there was a cute coffee shop that had soy milk (which in this part of the country felt like a vegan gold mine) but I don't remember the name--it's in a converted gas station. Very little else in Deadwood. We mostly kept a cooler in the car and stocked up at grocery stores, but the pickings were very slim and the restaurant scene dire. Bring snacks and pb&j. The Corn Palace is pretty weird if you end up over in that area.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:03 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Hi there--

We are contemplating a trip to Mount Rushmore next week, so thought I would 'bump up' this post to see if there are any new vegan finds in the area. We'll be traveling with the in-laws who are NOT vegan, so it could be a bit difficult.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

~Stacey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:43 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

We just returned from our trip to South Dakota and Wyoming, so I thought I would offer this advice to others traveling to the area.

I made a LOT of food in advance. We have a cooler that plugs into the outlet in the back of our car, so we were able to keep things cold. Stuff I made to bring:
-hummus
-quinoa salad
-GF cookie bars (trying to get my mother-in-law to go GF and DF)

We also brought cereals, soy creamer, almond milk, wraps, GF crackers, GF pretzels, lettuce, and chopped tomatoes.

Rapid City, SD has several restaurants with vegan options:
-Saigon Family Restaurant: The woman who waited on us (owner?) was extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
-Everest Cuisine: I called ahead to double-check about vegan items. The owner put me on the phone with another young man who was extremely helpful. When we arrived, he waited on us and patiently answered all our questions. Excellent food.

While driving, we also saw several Qdoba Mexican Grills. We did not eat there, but they are certainly an option for a rice & bean burrito.

I feel that I should weigh in on the Mount Rushmore issue. Personally, I felt that the $11 we paid to get in (parking fee) for four adults was well worth it. We attended an informative talk (free) about how the monument was sculpted and wandered around for quite some time. There is a cafe there with NO vegan options (that I saw), but we sat at their tables and ate our food. (The in-laws purchased food from inside.) Our admission allowed us to return at night for the lighting ceremony which was extremely moving.

On the flip side, I felt the Crazy Horse Park was a total rip-off. It cost $27 for the four of us to get in. Then, you have to pay an additional $4/each if you want to take a bus ride to get closer to the memorial. They say that you cannot walk there because of the work on the memorial. The 'commentary' on the bus ride was not terribly informative. And, the majority of the information was about the sculptor and his family. There was VERY little focus on Crazy Horse himself. The "museum" was just a collection of stuff with little explanation. The only information about Crazy Horse was poorly written and on typed sheets of 8 1/2" x 11" paper. During our time there, I maybe saw ONE Native American vendor. All the other staff were older white people. My significant other works in the museum industry--what they offered was PATHETIC.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:23 pm 
Tofu Pup

Very glad to find this forum. Heading to the area in June this year and starting to plan. The coffee shop is The Pump House, can't wait to check it out!

We're planning to take a lot of food as well along with packing our butane stove and electric skillet. Coming from a pretty veg friendly area like Louisville it is going to be interesting being someplace that is not so welcoming for food options.

Thanks again and if i find anything new there I'll be sure to post it!