| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Paris is not vegan hell! The official vegan France threa
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:41 am 
Hip Goiter

Ok, wow. We went to Saveurs Veget'halles Saturday night and it was great! Between two of us, we had that eggplant coconut milk-basil thing (really good but I wish the eggplant was cooked more; it was kind of tough), the seitan cutlets (very good), curry rolls (so good), and mushroom pate (unlike any mushroom pate I've had). I loved that each main dish came with red lentil puree, rice, and veggies and it was all so well done. I can't wait to go back!

And yes, L'as du fallafel was INSANE. Omg. Loveee. The eggplant is the best part.

That's all we got to. :( I really need to go back for the Gentle Gourmet Cafe, Vegan Folie, and fig bread at Maison Keyser.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:02 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

the chemin vert location of tien hiang is closed, so the other one is the only one open now from what i can tell.

am i the only one who things vegan folies is gross? i want to love them since they're the only vegan bakery in france, and really there's almost nowhere to get vegan desserts in paris (except cinq saveurs d'anada, saveurs veget'halles, and gentle gourmet), but their cheesecake is like eating a block of tofu, and i don't like their cupcakes... i wish i liked them!

anything else new and exciting in paris? biscoff is everywhere now. gentle gourmet seems to have expanded. loving hut seems to have reduced their menu a bit. what else is going on?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:03 am 
Nailed to the V

molasses jane wrote:
what else is going on?

THIS:
notre magasin parisien est ouvert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:03 pm 

Emilie wrote:
molasses jane wrote:
what else is going on?

THIS:

Quoi?!? When did this open? Holy crepe. Have you been? Look at their cheese selection!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:21 pm 
Nailed to the V

molasses jane wrote:
Emilie wrote:
molasses jane wrote:
what else is going on?

THIS:

Quoi?!? When did this open? Holy crepe. Have you been? Look at their cheese selection!!

not yet, but I'm likely to go within a few weeks!

(the cheese. I KNOW!!!!!!!!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Livraison en Belgique: woohoo! Thanks for the link.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:29 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Are there any francophone foodie blogs or message boards that anyone would recommend? I have a French degree which I never use and I'm gradually forgetting comment parler en français.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:54 am 
Nailed to the V

Gulliver wrote:
Are there any francophone foodie blogs or message boards that anyone would recommend? I have a French degree which I never use and I'm gradually forgetting comment parler en français.

this one http://vg-zone.net/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:05 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Gulliver wrote:

I like Absofruitly and Absolutely Green (although it seems to have died).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:47 am 
Nailed to the V

http://insolente0veggie.over-blog.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:08 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

When I was googling for vegan-friendly places to eat in Brussels, I ran across this one: http://www.veganinbrussels.com/

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:32 am 
Nailed to the V

Oh! and this one! http://myveganrevolution.blogspot.be/
(a friend in brussels) <3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:46 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Hey everyone! I'm going to be visiting family in Plascassier (near Nice) over the holidays and am wondering if you guys have any good recommendations for markets, restaurants, etc. I'm also going to be in Paris for a couple of days!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:49 am 

I just finally went to the vegan store in Paris. I can't believe it exists! It's quite sweet, tucked on long side street in between Republique and Strasbourg St. Denis. The guy running it was nice. He said that they opened in September, and it's been good, but they're not ready to declare it a success. So head over there, Paris vegans. They have an incredible selection of cheeses--Cheezly, Tofutti, Daiya, Vegusto, and more. There's two kinds of whipped cream in a can, tonnes of faux meats, lots of gluten free items, gummies and white chocolate. There's some cute shoes from Vegetarian Shoes too, and tshirts. I'm so stunned that this exists here. I remember when I first lived here and I ate pasta every day and there were only two vegetarian restaurants. Now there's a vegan bakery, this store, and so many restaurants.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:53 am 

VeganMeredith wrote:
Hey everyone! I'm going to be visiting family in Plascassier (near Nice) over the holidays and am wondering if you guys have any good recommendations for markets, restaurants, etc. I'm also going to be in Paris for a couple of days!

I don't know Plascassier, but Nice is great. I like the restaurant Speakeasy--it's tiny and sweet and run by an eccentric ex-pat. And make sure to get socca at the market--it's grilled chickpea flat bread and just fantastic (a regional street food specialty you won't find in Paris). There's a crazy gorgeous Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Nice that's worth a visit, and the Chagall museum is beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:36 pm 

molasses jane wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:

I don't know Plascassier, but Nice is great. I like the restaurant Speakeasy--it's tiny and sweet and run by an eccentric ex-pat. And make sure to get socca at the market--it's grilled chickpea flat bread and just fantastic (a regional street food specialty you won't find in Paris). There's a crazy gorgeous Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Nice that's worth a visit, and the Chagall museum is beautiful.

Amazing, thanks! I don't have much control over the itinerary (my mom and aunt are planning the trip) and I'm not sure how much time we'll actually be in Nice for, but I'll try to check some of these out!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:15 am 
Nailed to the V

Any vegan places in the Grenoble area? I kinda doubt it, I've been there so many times and never noticed anything but cheese, but I may have missed somewhere!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:27 pm 

vixki wrote:
Any vegan places in the Grenoble area? I kinda doubt it, I've been there so many times and never noticed anything but cheese, but I may have missed somewhere!

There's more than cheese everywhere in France! Happycow lists four veg-friendly restaurants and two biologique shops. http://www.happycow.net/europe/france/grenoble/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:47 pm 

An update: the Gentle Gourmet is no longer a B and B, and is now a full service restaurant that serves three meals a day. http://gentlegourmetcafe.com/ All vegan. And they have a sweet little takeaway counter, which has the ever elusive pain aux chocolat, croissant, pain aux amandes, flan, fruit tarte, and more. Also, for everyone looking for authentic crèpes, Gentle Gourmet has them on the menu. Today's was a dessert crèpe with salted caramel.

At the takeaway counter, they sell a nice selection of vegan cookbooks, Vegusto and a few other cheeses, and some other vegan goodies as well. On Sunday they have a huge brunch, and that afternoon they do take away pizza. Monday the restaurant doesn't serve, but they have pastries and takeaway items.

The pain au chocolat I got today was one of the best vegan things I've eaten. I haven't had a croissant or French pastry since I went vegan over sixteen years ago. It had the nice chocolate centre, and also almond paste. It was flaky. It was buttery. It was a revelation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:22 pm 

molasses jane wrote:
An update: the Gentle Gourmet is no longer a B and B, and is now a full service restaurant that serves three meals a day. http://gentlegourmetcafe.com/ All vegan. And they have a sweet little takeaway counter, which has the ever elusive pain aux chocolat, croissant, pain aux amandes, flan, fruit tarte, and more. Also, for everyone looking for authentic crèpes, Gentle Gourmet has them on the menu. Today's was a dessert crèpe with salted caramel.

At the takeaway counter, they sell a nice selection of vegan cookbooks, Vegusto and a few other cheeses, and some other vegan goodies as well. On Sunday they have a huge brunch, and that afternoon they do take away pizza. Monday the restaurant doesn't serve, but they have pastries and takeaway items.

The pain au chocolat I got today was one of the best vegan things I've eaten. I haven't had a croissant or French pastry since I went vegan over sixteen years ago. It had the nice chocolate centre, and also almond paste. It was flaky. It was buttery. It was a revelation.

Amazing! I'll have to see if I can add this to our itinerary!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:15 pm 

A Marseille update:
there's a great new all vegetarian lunch/coffee place with extensive vegan and gluten free options: http://www.greenbearcoffee.com/Green_Be ... offee.html
the tofu noodle salad and soup du jour were both great, and they had soy milk for coffee/tea drinks, which is a rarity in this country. They also had at least one vegan dessert (I had the apple crumble, which was quite tasty.)
Country Life now has a case of vegan takeout options (on their main floor, in the grocery section) that include to go meals, and all kinds of vegan pastries--both sweet and savory. And the restaurant is still going strong upstairs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:42 pm 
Nailed to the V

How is Gentle Guourmet? ... I've not been yet, just met the ones who run it ... and these adorable cruel people keep posting pics of their food on fb... omnmnonomnonmmnomon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:51 am 
Nailed to the V

found another page in french http://www.moinsdeviande.com/asperges-a ... ise-vegan/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:31 pm 

Emilie wrote:
How is Gentle Guourmet? ... I've not been yet, just met the ones who run it ... and these adorable cruel people keep posting pics of their food on fb... omnmnonomnonmmnomon

crazy good. though on the expensive side (seriously, why is brunch so out of control expensive in paris?) but they have à la carte too. salted caramel crepes! i really want to try their sunday pizza specials.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:56 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Had the most amazing meal at the Gentle Gourmet yesterday. Heavy on the Vegusto (which is a good thing), and beautiful, and not too pricey (by London standards). It wasn't that easy to find - if you're going, you need to turn left out of the metro and walk about five minutes down the street. It was so good, we're probably going back again today.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next