| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stay Classy San Diego
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:20 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

FYI re: Rancho's North Park: It is closed for remodeling. Date of re-open not posted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:30 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

Hi : )

Is there good (vegan) Indian food in San Diego?
I see that there are some Indian restaurants on happy cow listed as vegan-friendly, but I don't know...
I'm making an investigation for English class (a presentation about Indian food).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:26 pm 

Hiya!
I've enjoyed Bombay in Hillcrest. They've veganized palak paneer for me (my favorite) and the channa masala is already vegan. Yum.

(Annoying flash website: http://www.bombayrestaurant.com/bombayrestaurant.html )

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:29 pm 

Ooh, that looks nice. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:04 pm 

Let me know what you think!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:13 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I like Bombay, too! If you want to try some south indian food, you should check out Madras Cafe http://www.yelp.com/biz/madras-cafe-san-dieg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:24 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Advice needed! My parents are kindly taking me, my husband and my brother to San Diego for a week, starting next Saturday. They rented a house in Ocean Beach, I think maybe on Brighton Ave, on the west end of it. Basically I need advice on what the three of us can do, sans car, so we don't go nutty spending an entire week with our parents. I think the house has bikes, I saw on a map that there's a bike path, is that worth checking out?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:22 am 

OB is a great neighborhood for not having a car! although in general it takes a bit of effort to get around san diego without a car. in OB you can hang out at the beach and walk around to lots of different little shops and things. there's also a vegan bakery (Stephanies) and awesome Mexican restaurant (Ranchos) in OB. check out your bus options if you want to go elsewhere. if you're in san diego you should definitely go to Balboa park. It's a huge park with a lot of gardens and museums and just good walking around. there's also the tide pools and the zoo and the wild animal park. i really like the wild animal park, but you need a car to get there. oh, and also in OB is people's food coop that has an awesome vegan deli and a lot of good stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:32 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Awesome, thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:46 pm 

All of that, plus, OB has a farmers' market on Wednesday afternoons with plenty of samples and some vegan foods as well.

The bike path is fun, a bit short. That immediate area is pretty flat so you should have a good time biking around.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:23 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Andi vert, I'm a little late to the convo, but Cafe India's buffet in Point Loma is, while not extensive, delicious, cheap, and completely vegan. :-)

ETA: Except, I think, for the desserts. It's been years since I've been there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:59 pm 

Squeak wrote:
Andi vert, I'm a little late to the convo, but Cafe India's buffet in Point Loma is, while not extensive, delicious, cheap, and completely vegan. :-)

ETA: Except, I think, for the desserts. It's been years since I've been there.

Thank you, Squeak!
I went to Madras Cafe (Bombay was out of my budget, ha), but I still have time to visit another place : )

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:26 pm 

Loving Hut has new items on the menu! Vegan Nuggets (yum yum yum yum YUM!) and an asparagus dish that the Mr. said was cooked perfectly and a couple of other things that we did not get.

Also: I was able to score the last piece of carrot cake! Yay for dessert tomorrow. (Our LH is closed Sundays so this was kind of a lucky thing.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:40 am 
WRETCHED

I just booked my trip to visit my family, I'll be there the first week of July.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:08 pm 

linanil wrote:
I just booked my trip to visit my family, I'll be there the first week of July.

Meeetup : D?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:34 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Reviving this thread!! I'm finally making the pilgrimage to San Diego from Vegas for my bday in August! I'm so excited. Never been. I'm still on the fence about taking my dog along for the trip. On one hand, I'd really like to take her to the beach.... but on the other, she'd probably end up stuck in the hotel room a lot unless there are a lot of dog friendly restaurants and bars.

Soooo.... is SD dog friendly? And is there anywhere to get (good) vegan pizza? Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:07 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

The Whole Foods on University sells vegan pizza (w/ Daiya). I liked mine but I wished they had kept it in the oven longer (they were reheating it). I've heard that Pizza Fusion is closed right now (5th Ave) that's probably the BEST vegan pizza in SD unfortunately. I've also had Zia pizza in Normal Heights (Adams Ave) which was ok, they have vegan options but no vegan cheese options.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:53 am 
Nooch of Earl

There's a dog beach right by Stephanie's Bakery in Ocean Beach. I learned the hard way not to take a vegan hot salami sammich to the dog beach, though. (We didn't know that's what it was!)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:12 am 

dragonssister wrote:
The Whole Foods on University sells vegan pizza (w/ Daiya). I liked mine but I wished they had kept it in the oven longer (they were reheating it). I've heard that Pizza Fusion is closed right now (5th Ave) that's probably the BEST vegan pizza in SD unfortunately. I've also had Zia pizza in Normal Heights (Adams Ave) which was ok, they have vegan options but no vegan cheese options.

pizza fusion closed, but they reopened as Local Habit by the same owners I believe and I heard they were still supposed to have vegan pizza with FYH. My sister went there last night, so I'll ask her to report back on the vegan options!

There's also Z-Pizza if you LOVE daiya. Stephanie's makes really awesome vegan pizza, but they are hardly ever open. If you happen to get there on a Friday through Sunday, their pizza is great. Also yeah, if you stay in ocean beach there are a lot of dog friendly places. I think all the beachy areas are pretty dog friendly, but OB is probably the most.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:22 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Cool! thanks guys! I'll be there Sat-Mon, so I will definitely check out Stephanie's!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:10 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Hillcrest is also very dog-friendly, if not specifically vegan. Most any place with a patio will also have a waterbowl for your dog. Baja Betty's, Fiesta Cantina, Evolution (fully vegan and located in Banker's Hill, which is Hillcrest adjacent)....I'm sure there are more.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:36 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

hey, what's the Normal Heights area like? we'll be out there in Sept visiting family so I don't know how much escape time we'll get, but that's where my sister lives. I'm sure she's got some stuff like bars covered for sure, but what about good veg restaurants/stores? also any outdoor-type stuff that does not involve going to the beach? thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Audrey wrote:
hey, what's the Normal Heights area like? we'll be out there in Sept visiting family so I don't know how much escape time we'll get, but that's where my sister lives. I'm sure she's got some stuff like bars covered for sure, but what about good veg restaurants/stores? also any outdoor-type stuff that does not involve going to the beach? thanks

my neck of the woods

theres jhoti bahunga (sp), a buddist type spot thats vegetarian with vegan options

Tao is a japanese vietnamese fusion spot with many vegan options

blind lady ale house has a ton of rad small brewery beers along with some vegan options on their menu

theres a popsicle place that has vegan popsicles, and across the street theres a soft serve place with vegan soft serve

all these spots are all within 2 blocks of each other on adams ave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:28 pm 

just a warning...i went to tao a few weeks ago. it was really good, but afterwards the popsicle place was closed so we went to Romi's Softserve Heaven and they had Tutti Frutti flavor. It was super gross! if they have that flavor run away!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
yeah, the only time i went to Romis they had chicago soy dairy peanut butter...figured that itd rule...but it was really gross. I mean, I still ate it cause thats what I do, but yeah...gross

Ive heard that from others about other flavors too. They had a person dressed up like a super hero with a giant spoon out front the other day, that places days are numbered I think

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next