| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: austin vegans!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:51 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I grabbed a Red Rabbit donut at Wheatsville on my way to the airport and wowza, best donut ever. Totally blew Vegan Treats out of the (donut) water.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

we have officially booked our flight, and i'm super excited! we'll be there from august 4-9, our first visit in almost 2 years. guero's vegan menu, here we come! i will very likely be asking for a list of must-visits; so much has popped up in the last few years. yay!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:06 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Howdy Austin Vegans-

Still not definite, but a high probability I will be moving to Austin in August! I just wanted to say hi, and introduce myself as a possible neighbor.

I hope you can come to my (theoretical) housewarming party / vegan potluck in early Fall.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:54 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Yay! If you move here, come join (most of) the rest of us at Vegans Rock Austin.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:33 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

bluedawg wrote:
we have officially booked our flight, and i'm super excited! we'll be there from august 4-9, our first visit in almost 2 years. guero's vegan menu, here we come! i will very likely be asking for a list of must-visits; so much has popped up in the last few years. yay!!

Can you guys make a must eat/visit list now? I'm heading to Austin for a week on this coming Tuesday! I haven't been since before I went vegan so I'm excited!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Here is my must eat list & every option in Austin list

And here is sugar skull's list that has fun stuff to do to

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:26 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

LazySmurf wrote:
Here is my must eat list & every option in Austin list

And here is sugar skull's list that has fun stuff to do to

Awesome, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:00 pm 

The only thing I'd add to LazySmurf's is Iggi's, which I like better than Vegan Yacht. And if you can manage to get both the tofu scramble AND the tofu bacon at Bouldin, you'll be in heaven. And maybe donuts at Wheatsville or elsewhere if you haven't had a vegan donut lately.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:30 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

mollyjade wrote:
The only thing I'd add to LazySmurf's is Iggi's, which I like better than Vegan Yacht. And if you can manage to get both the tofu scramble AND the tofu bacon at Bouldin, you'll be in heaven. And maybe donuts at Wheatsville or elsewhere if you haven't had a vegan donut lately.

Yes to the scramble AND the bacon. I was able to add the bacon on as a side!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:29 pm 
Dead by dawn

I will be in Austin 10/21-10/26. So, you know, keep being awesome until then. I will have questions once it gets closer; so far I am just looking forward to stuffing myself silly!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:56 pm 

mollyjade wrote:

The rennedict is the solution to this problem! It will so be on next year's top 10!

And Vegan Yacht > Iggie's for sure, if they put their damn wings on the permanent menu though I would put them in my top 10

monkeytoes wrote:
I will be in Austin 10/21-10/26. So, you know, keep being awesome until then. I will have questions once it gets closer; so far I am just looking forward to stuffing myself silly!

That is such a great time of year to come! It will be perfect!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

thanks so much for the links, that's super helpful! i can't believe how much new stuff is kicking around austin these days. i'm going to eat myself silly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:19 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I am leaving for Austin tomorrow. I am going to eat so much! Between that and seeing the bats and maybe going to see the white ghost shivers play I'm pretty darn excited!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:26 am 

LazySmurf wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

The rennedict is the solution to this problem! It will so be on next year's top 10!

I still haven't had it. We can't seem to manage getting seated for brunch before 11AM.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

we'll be there in three days! i'm so afraid i'll miss things, since there's so much new stuff. when we lived there, i was vegetarian and my husband was omni; now we're both vegan. so we know all of the vegetarian-friendly places, and we've visited as vegans, but i feel like we're not experts. hee.

our old haunts were always: guero's and kerbey lane (and amy's), and to a lesser extent places like magnolia, mother's, chuy's/hula hut, blah blah whatever was awesome in 2000. ;) i know that guero's has a vegan menu now (words cannot express my excitement) and kerbey lane is vegan friendly (although it seems like vegans hate it?), and we went to mother's a couple years ago as vegans and liked it a lot. as for the rest of it, i'm not sure how vegan-y it is, or if it's better to focus on all the exciting new stuff. we went to mr natural for the first time (!!!) when we were there in 2009 and it was delicious.

i think right now my top priorities are guero's, toy joy milkshakes, The Doughnuts, and the various food cart options (i can't believe we're missing the chance to have iggi's--it closes up shop a few days before we get there? unfair!)... but please feel free to suggest other things we should/shouldn't be eating.

random question: is anything at taco cabana vegan? we used to eat there constantly when we lived there (so it's a good nostalgia place for us), but never as vegans.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:34 pm 

At Taco Cabana black beans and corn tortillas are vegan. Flour tortillas and rice are not.

Kerbey Lane is OK. They have vegan pancakes. There are better tofu scrambles elsewhere. The veggie burger is OK.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:01 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

thanks mollyjade!

we are eating and eating and eating. the first 24 hours: kerbey lane (queso and a raspberry pancake, random much?), whole foods (tacos and a big john cookie), bouldin creek (iced chai), guero's (more queso and more tacos), and toy joy (mint cookie shake). sooooo full. tomorrow we are meeting an old friend at snack bar and then i hope to go to the vegan yacht (because i think they're closed on sun/mon). oh, and doughnuts at wheatsville! mmm, food.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:16 am 
Nailed to the V

That's how it's done, folks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I always loved Veggie Heaven, they have given me free food numerous times when I was homeless there. It was very generous of them. Also somewhere south of the water there is a whole falafel wrap production place with a great dumpster, just get there before the sun heats up the tahini too much...you'll know. It was several years ago now though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:01 pm 
Dead by dawn

Hey Austin vegans! My sister and I will be in your fair city in two weeks. I think I have a pretty complete list of places to dine and things to eat, and I do plan on gorging myself. What I need to know is... what's fun/cool to do, what shouldn't be missed, etc... We're there because my sister is racing the half-Ironman on Sunday the 23rd, so she's in charge of what we have to do, and how much free time we have, but she's put me in charge of finding fun stuff to fill our free time. So what does a tourist do in Austin between meals?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

the bats! (congress street bridge at dusk)

the peacocks! (mayfield park)

little hike up mount bonnell... walking around the UT campus... visiting the mothership of whole foods (6th & lamar)... going to book people... toy joy (fun to shop around, as well as the amazing vegan soft serve)... barton springs if you want a unique swimming experience... and then food food food food food!

(i don't live there anymore but i really wish that i did.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:02 pm 

Here is my short list, See a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse especially if they are having a fun event like Master Pancake or Open Screen Night. Wander around south congress stop for food or drinks at snack bar or gueros and check out the shops. Go to toy joy for vegan milk shakes and to play with fun stuff. Swim at Barton Springs (seriously). The Blanton museum is cool. And the bats at dusk on south congress.

Hope that helps! Have a blast!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:38 pm 
Saggy Butt

After Toy Joy, be sure to go across the street to Wheatsville for a popcorn tofu po'boy or at least an awesome donut. *these are a billion times better than the Whole Foods donuts, don't even bother with those!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:29 pm 

Nora wrote:
After Toy Joy, be sure to go across the street to Wheatsville for a popcorn tofu po'boy or at least an awesome donut. *these are a billion times better than the Whole Foods donuts, don't even bother with those!

Whole Foods reformulated, and their donuts are really good now. I like the traditional flavors (especially the sugared ones) at Whole Foods and the creative-flavored ones from Red Rabbit.

That weekend is the Texas Book Festival if you're into reading. http://www.texasbookfestival.org/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:02 pm 
Dead by dawn

Thanks you guys, I'm compiling a list of fun stuff to go with the list of noms. Another question: I have to put in a couple of runs while I'm there, in the 5-7 mile range. Any good running trails (paved is fine) that I might check out? I kind of prefer multi-use trails in parks and stuff, versus running around neighborhoods on the sidewalk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next