| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Epcot
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Has anyone ever been? Do you remember what/where you ate?

My fiance and I moved to the Tampa area from Tennessee, so every time someone comes to visit, we end up going to some theme park.

Anyway, I looked at all the available menus, and there were pretty much 0 straight-up vegan options. And most of the vegetarian options looked difficult to veganize. We're going on Thursday, and I really like to try to be prepared, instead of going from place to place looking at menus and making it seem like veganism is the most difficult thing on the planet.

Post subject: Re: Epcot
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:27 pm 
WRETCHED

There is a thread in the Square about Orlando/Disney. Apparently, Disney is VERY accomodating. I googled 'vegan disney' and came up with some options. I'm going in a couple weeks, made a dinner reservation and emailed them today to say that 2 vegans are coming. I also mentioned that we plan to do a quick service for lunch and would like an option.

This site has some promising info:
http://allears.net/din/vegtsparks.htm

Many of the comments are that vegans have to call ahead and if you go the main disney site and look at 'where to eat', there is a link somewhere to call and request special meals.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thank you! We won't be making a reservation ahead of time unless Aaron's dad decides to. I guess we'll mostly be winging it, but I'll check out that link.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:40 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Morocco has a vegetarian plate that can be veganized. Ask for regular pita bread instead of the puffy bread that comes with it (it has milk in it), and sub out the lentil salad (mayonaise) for an extra portion of hummus or tabouli. It's surprisingly good, considering you're at a theme park.

Sunshine Seasons in The Land pavilion has a grilled vegetable sandwich that's vegan (ask for no feta) and a tofu noodle bowl. They have cases with prepared vegan salads and things, too. They also have Silk yogurt.

If you're going for table service restaurants, just call ahead and tell them you're vegan, and remind them again when you get there. They'll have a chef come out and talk to you. Disney will always accomodate you even if there's nothing on the menu.

I used to work at Disney World, which is why I know these things. Heh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:48 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I ate at Epcot twice. Once at the Mexican restaurant and once at Tokyo Dining. Both were awesome. TOkyo Dining made me veggie sushi and the Mexican restaurant (San Angel something? It's in the Aztec-looking building) has a vegetarian option that you can veganize. That was probably my favorite meal of my entire trip.

edit: I don't know if you can get a reservation on such short notice, though

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, I have no idea where we're eating. They decided today that that's where we're going. It's a Thursday in January though, so hopefully it won't be terribly busy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

cstadt wrote:
I ate at Epcot twice. Once at the Mexican restaurant and once at Tokyo Dining. Both were awesome. TOkyo Dining made me veggie sushi and the Mexican restaurant (San Angel something? It's in the Aztec-looking building) has a vegetarian option that you can veganize. That was probably my favorite meal of my entire trip.

I remember having a really good meal at that Mexican place a few years ago too.

I also had a really good veggie stir fry over quinoa at the sit-down restaurant in America, not sure if it was completely vegan (I went a few years ago while I was still transitioning) but I'm sure they can make it vegan for you.

ETA: I just checked my flickr and the dish I got in America was called "amber waves of grain." Heh. Heh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

creep wrote:
Has anyone ever been? Do you remember what/where you ate?

My fiance and I moved to the Tampa area from Tennessee, so every time someone comes to visit, we end up going to some theme park.

Anyway, I looked at all the available menus, and there were pretty much 0 straight-up vegan options. And most of the vegetarian options looked difficult to veganize. We're going on Thursday, and I really like to try to be prepared, instead of going from place to place looking at menus and making it seem like veganism is the most difficult thing on the planet.

Disney are frickin' insane in the best possible way about accommodating different diets. You could be a gluten-free halal kosher raw macrobiotic fruitarian and they would work with you. There is a secret all-vegetarian menu you can ask for in the Mexican pavillion and they will veganise it all for you. If you mention to your server that you're a vegan at any restaurant, they will be really helpful.

I was at the Brown Derby in MGM (years ago) and the server told me about the one vegan dish on the menu (some fabulous thai tofu dish, IIRC) and offered to bring out one of the chefs to arrange something else if I didn't think I would care for that dish. I know that's not in EPCOT, but that's just an example of how cool they are about it.

My husband and I were there many years ago and ate all over the shop. I didn't see any rolling eyes and nobody messed up anything and everybody was really friendly about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Disney can accommodate almost any dietary preference. It's easy-peasy to eat there as a vegan. Universal stinks to high heaven. (Summary of other thread.) If you search on the interwebz you can find many, many options.

http://veganindisney.wordpress.com/cate ... ney/epcot/
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2512058

I'm sure there are even more options. Epcot seems to be an easy place for vegans to eat.