| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jamaica-mo bay
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:36 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

So I'll preface this by saying that I used to live/work in Jamaica. I know that I can get ital/vegan food in most places no matter how small the town. But, I was only in mo bay once and remember that there was a 7th day adventist shop/restaurant somewhere in the non-touristy region.. We're going to be there for a couple of days before heading out to our apartment w/kitchen, and are going to need to find some prepared foods for t hose days. I can't find them on-line and want to be ready to go as soon as we get settled into out guesthouse..
Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Jamaica-mo bay
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:01 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

You might want to check with Taymer, caribbeanvegan.wordpress.com and author of Caribbean Vegan. She's very accessible and knowledgeable, and has already started a vegan guide to the islands.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:54 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'll be there one day next week (cruise)... please post if you've had any luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:15 pm 

I'm going to be in Negril for about five days at the end of January and we're going on a day trip to YS falls. I've used the googles and happy cow and know there are I-tal places in Negril - just wondering if anybody has been recently and can vouch for places? I love PPK recommendations!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:41 pm 

Any Ital/Vegan food you get will be great. Seriously mouthwatering natural goodness (and no salt). Before I lived in JA, i didn't realize how easy it is and fantastic it is to be vegan there. Not a fan of Negril at all(or mo bay or ochi), but you will find some really decent food there.

Trying to remember where I ate when I was there.. Ras Rody's (a bit more $$ than used to-soup is very watery/diluted but this is Negril.., Royal Kitchen..). Basically if you are a bit lost, talk to Rastas (not on the beach-usually not really RastafarI in Negril-but can be hard to distinguish), and they will guide you..

edit: you can even go to juicy patty (a patty chain), and get soy (minced soy) or veggie patties. they are inexpensive and droolicious!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:53 pm 

mamatafari wrote:
Any Ital/Vegan food you get will be great. Seriously mouthwatering natural goodness (and no salt). Before I lived in JA, i didn't realize how easy it is and fantastic it is to be vegan there. Not a fan of Negril at all(or mo bay or ochi), but you will find some really decent food there.

Trying to remember where I ate when I was there.. Ras Rody's (a bit more $$ than used to-soup is very watery/diluted but this is Negril.., Royal Kitchen..). Basically if you are a bit lost, talk to Rastas (not on the beach-usually not really RastafarI in Negril-but can be hard to distinguish), and they will guide you..

edit: you can even go to juicy patty (a patty chain), and get soy (minced soy) or veggie patties. they are inexpensive and droolicious!

Thank you so much for the info! I think Royal Kitchen was the one I had heard of. Will definitely check out Ros Rody's too. Would most patty places have a vegan option? Or is that exclusive to that chain?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:55 pm 

I don't know about any other places.. Juice patties is Jamaica's largest patty chain. They have soy and mixed veggies, and soy and mixed loaves. Delicious :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:08 pm 

Oh grr. Just erased my own post. I still cannot remember any places that I've eaten at in montego bay (well like 2 places).
I did find this website where I know you will get good food: http://www.rastavillage.com/