| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Houston - visiting in April!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:11 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I am going to be in Houston in April for a week (9-15) - any suggestions on the best places to check out? Also, are there any awesome vegan grocery stores like Food Fight in Portland? I have a conference, which is the reason for the trip, so I will be staying downtown somewhere near the convention centre (hint, hint - mini-meet-up??).

I can't wait for some warm weather and humidity!!!

Post subject: Re: Houston - visiting in April!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Did you find any good vegan friendly restaurants in Houston during your trip?
I am visiting family there soon and I need to find a nice place we can all get lunch.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:03 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I can't believe I missed this! I would have totally met up.

What part of town will you be in, granolapocalypse? Mo Mong in Montrose is a something-for-everyone kind of place if they like Asian food. It's pretty nice-looking, too. Mia Bella downtown is also nice and has a really good pasta with vegetables dish (linguine alla verdure), but come to think of it, I don't know if the pasta has egg in it. I am thinking of a lot of other places, but I think they might be too casual.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:33 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

It doesn't really matter what part of town the restaurant is in. I'm staying outside Houston, but will be flying out of IAH. There's not very much out by the airport is there?
Any opinions on Hugo's mexican restaurant? Their menu looks very vegetarian friendly...possibly vegan friendly too?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:24 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Wow, I was in Houston too. And I didn't get to do any cool vegan stuff while I was there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:15 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I've never been to Hugo's, but their menu looks good and the note about dairy makes them seem vegan-friendly. I'll have to go there myself someday.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:28 pm 

Unfortunately I didn't make it to any of the all vegan restaurants as I had planned, but we did find this awesome place downtown where we were staying called Ziggys Diner, which was super vegan friendly and delicious. I highly recommend it if you can get out there!

I also managed to find chick-o-sticks and vegan starburst (Mambo?), and nutter butters!!! I was so happy :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:37 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

In the future for people visiting Houston, this is a good restaurant list that's kept up to date: http://veganhouston.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:29 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Robynn wrote:
Unfortunately I didn't make it to any of the all vegan restaurants as I had planned, but we did find this awesome place downtown where we were staying called Ziggys Diner, which was super vegan friendly and delicious. I highly recommend it if you can get out there!

Oh hey, my mom lives across the street from the downtown Ziggy's!

Yeah, the Vegan Houston blog is great. There are some gems on there and things I wouldn't know about otherwise, but there are so many restaurants in Houston that it can be limiting. A good visitor's guide for sure, though!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Update on my vegan dining experience in Houston:

Due to another member of our party's food sensitivies, the only thing we could agree on was sushi.
We went to Blue Fish House http://www.bluefishhouse.com/

They were listed on Vegan Houston and their menu looked very promising. A few vegan friendly sushi options and a whole section on their menu for dishes featuring tofu. There's a note at the bottom of this section that none of these items contain fish sauce, but that some contain dairy.

However when we got to the restaurant, the menu looked totally different and didn't have that tofu section. I assumed I could just order one of the meat dishes and sub tofu. I asked about animal products in the sauces and after checking with the kitchen the server told me that only their teriyaki sauce was vegan. So I got the "Fry me to the moon"--fried tofu teriyaki. It was really good! We also got a "No Meat" futo maki roll (with no egg) which I liked but I don't know how sophisticated my sushi taste is.

Everyone else liked the dishes they got (sushi and stir-fry) and the service was good.
Providing you know ahead of time about the differences between the menu online and in the restaurant, this was a pretty good dining experience. The server might have been wrong about the sauces but I will trust what the kitchen says that day rather than the website. Maybe a good place to go with omnis who want sushi, but I wouldn't make a special trip just for this place.

Boom!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:05 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

This is a last minute bump, I've been looking at the houston blog at the restaurant list for ideas but wanted to see if anyone had any updates or any places to not miss. I'm headed there in a few days for a week long work trip so I've got plenty of time to try out a few places.

thanks!

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:08 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I would hit Radical Eats, Pepper Tree buffet, and Green Seed Vegan. And either a cinnamon roll or kolache by Sinfull bakery. If you're going to be there on the weekend, Radical Eats and Pepper Tree both have really good reviews for their brunch buffets.

Vegan Houston has a facebook page if you want to ask them for more recommendations.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:56 pm 

I'm going to be in Houston from April 23-May 11 for work training. Anyone interested in a meet-up? I have no idea where in the city I will be staying or where my training is yet, but I should be able to get around the city pretty good (I think I get a car rental).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:17 pm 

So I finally know where I am staying - I'll be at the Residence Inn Marriott (near the Houston Medical Centre and Rice University)! I have no idea what is around there, but google maps tells me there are a few vegan and/or vegan friendly places within 5 miles. I do not get a car rental though, so it will be cabs and transit and walking. Do any of you lovely ppkers live/work/play around there?