| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beirut, Lebanon?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:06 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

So I'm heading to Beirut, other parts of Lebanon, and likely Jordan. Besides copious amounts of humus and falafel, any other recommendations for food to eat (specialties that happen to be vegan or can easily be made vegan) or restaurants to visit?

Any PPKers from Lebanon or Jordan? I'd love to meet up for some tasty vegan food!

Post subject: Re: Beirut, Lebanon?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:40 pm 
Hip Goiter

Adding a few thoughts about Jordan to this thread! Thanks for your help sarahcaroline! The traditional food in Jordan was indeed fantastic for vegans - at every meal (even the big group dinners where everything was already ordered for us) there was hummus and tabouleh and fattoush and Arabic salad (what I always knew as Israeli salad - cucumbers and tomatoes. I guess it takes on the name of the culture serving it!) and stuffed eggplant and my favorite thing ever, foul (fava bean mush). Also, there's a shop selling falafel at least on every block. I ate way too much pita in my 10 days there, and I'd be happy to not see hummus for a while, but it was great. And the food can be extremely cheap. The falafel shop near where we stayed sold the sandwiches for 35 cents. We went all around the country (well to the touristy towns at least) and even to a Bedouin tent in the middle of Wadi Rum desert, and still all that vegan food was served. If anyone goes to Amman, go to my favorite restaurant, Tawaheen Al Hawa. It's ranked #1 on tripadvisor, so it's like a no-shit-you-like-it thing, but it had the BEST foul I've ever had. They also had a woman sitting out front making the Bedouin flat bread (I forget what it's called, but it's incredible) right there, which was weird, but the bread was amazing. The only thing I'm disappointed about is that I didn't find any vegan halvah - but I don't speak Arabic, so I couldn't really ask. I did find these incredible accidentally vegan cookies at a minimart. They are called Tutku and are a vanilla and chocolate swirled kind of shortbread cookie with chocolate hazelnut filling. If anyone is going, please find them and buy more bc I need more. I'm addicted. They also had vegan oreos in the little minimarts. So, point is, if you go to the Middle East you don't have to worry about food. I guess I didn't find much variety, but I didn't get sick of anything really so it was fine.

Laughfrodisiac