| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alaska
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:59 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think I'm going in August. I'm thinking I'll fly into Anchorage and use the marine highway system to explore. (A rental car would be like $600 a week minimum!) Anyone have input? I've already looked at Happy Cow, so I have some idea of restaurants. I'm interested in place-to-visit suggestions, restaurant suggestions, etc. I've heard Sitka is really beautiful and I do plan on Denali.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Alaska
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:32 am 
Shopped till she dropped

Oh weird! I'm in Anchorage for 2 weeks right now. My boyfriend is from here, so this is my 3rd trip in 3 years. We're here for 2 weeks this time, so I have plenty of time to research. In Anchorage, definitely check out Snow City, Bear Tooth and Middleway Cafe. Those all have good vegan options. I'll definitely keep you updated on what I find, but if you have any more specific questions, or if there's anywhere you want me to recon, hit me up here or on a PM. Oh, I know we're spending some time at Denali and Hope.

I'll definitely get into more detail when I'm on a computer and not drinking.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:39 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks Kara, such good timing! What do you know about Tok?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:10 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Hey i'm from Juneau (a little north from Sitka) Its beautiful and It is soo awesome, especially if you love the outdoors. I actually can't wait to be back there in August. Anyways....
For food if you go to Juneau (Which you probably will if you're taking the ferry system) I suggest "Silverbow Bakery and Inn" fresh bagels everyday, awesome hummus and they have an awesome Thai Hot and Sour soup... Plus its a little homie place to drink coffee or tea. Good place.
Sitka is kind of harder to find places. The Back Door Cafe use to have vegan options, i don't know so much anymore, i was there a couple years ago and they did. But they do have some awesome little coffee shops there and a rockabilly band.
Southeast Alaska i think is soo way cooler than the north, its beautiful and the people are friendly, or at least i think they are.
Hope you have fun and enjoy yourself!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks very much for the recommendations! I'd love to visit the SW islands as well. Could I do both in eight to ten days using the ferries? Any recommendations for food in SW Alaska?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:11 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I don't really know of any vegan places to eat in Homer or Valdez or anything, especially since any place you go on the ferry is more than likely a little fishing village. But, the towns are pretty sweet, and Homer does have the Salty Dawg Saloon...I'd go there just to say i've been. Plus i sport their sweatshirt whenever i possibly can cause its cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We are going to Anchorage/Eagle River in July!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:17 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

allychristine wrote:

Woo! How long are you going to be there? I love being up there around August to go to the State Fair.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Zombretta wrote:
allychristine wrote:

Woo! How long are you going to be there? I love being up there around August to go to the State Fair.

Just for a few days ;\ july 22-31. My MIL and brothersIL are moving there to be with my FIL who's been there for several years now!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:03 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thats cool! I hope you have fun, July is a nice time to go up there. That is if you're okay with sunlight :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Zombretta wrote:
Thats cool! I hope you have fun, July is a nice time to go up there. That is if you're okay with sunlight :D

hehe, thanks! Now we're looking for things that we want to do in the area (outdoor!!). We are going to raft the Kenai, but I don't know of any other plans. I gone through Denali before and ridden the Mckinley Explorer through the area. Any great hikes or places to see??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:25 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

When my family live in Anchorage i loved it when we went camping at Eklutna Lake (kind of between eagle river and palmer), it has a campground, a BIG lake, and hiking trails. I love going to Seward, we usually drove, but there is a train that goes from Anchorage to Seward. Seward is cool, it has the Fjords tours there along with the Alaska Sea Life Center. I also like camping up there also since the campsite is right next to the beach.

I was going to also say to check out the girdwood forest fair, but it is actually happening this weekend, so thats a no-go. I hope you have fun tho. I love going up there just to check things out and see how much everything has changed. I will fair warn you tho all my idea i haven't been able to do in like ten years, so hopefully they're the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Zombretta wrote:
When my family live in Anchorage i loved it when we went camping at Eklutna Lake (kind of between eagle river and palmer), it has a campground, a BIG lake, and hiking trails. I love going to Seward, we usually drove, but there is a train that goes from Anchorage to Seward. Seward is cool, it has the Fjords tours there along with the Alaska Sea Life Center. I also like camping up there also since the campsite is right next to the beach.

I was going to also say to check out the girdwood forest fair, but it is actually happening this weekend, so thats a no-go. I hope you have fun tho. I love going up there just to check things out and see how much everything has changed. I will fair warn you tho all my idea i haven't been able to do in like ten years, so hopefully they're the same.

Thanks! I will definitely recommend that lake. When I went before, we did ride that train, went to Seward, and tried to do the Fjord tour, but the weather was too bad. We also went to that Sea Life Center. I think we stayed in Seward at a place right across from the Center. yay; thanks!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:33 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Okay. Alaska. Near Anchorage. Livable as a vegan?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]