| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mo-Kan vegans?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:22 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I know the vegan community in Kansas and Missouri is a little sparse, but I was curious as to whether there are any other vegans from the area.

I'm currently in Lawrence, KS, which is pretty decent for vegans. (Unsurprising, since it's a college town.)

KC just recently got an all-vegan restaurant called FÜD (http://www.eatfud.com/), which I have yet to try but am pretty excited about. (Vegan nachos and chocolate shakes! YESSSSS!)

Post subject: Re: Mo-Kan vegans?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:13 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

My hubby and I just moved away from Kansas City (to Omaha) but there were quite a few veg's in the area. Have you been to Waldo Pizza? They have a whole vegan menu and are now also serving homemade vegan cupcakes and homemade vegan ice cream. The menu for Westside Local changes pretty often - more often then their website, I would usually call to get updates - but they usually had some yummy vegan soups. There's also a meet-up group in Kansas City.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:46 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'll be there Thanksgiving weekend! I'm excited!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:15 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

luckyklutz wrote:

i'm a little jealous. if you go to Waldo Pizza please take gratuitous photos so i can live vicariously through them. do you have family down there?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:14 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

peanutshell wrote:
luckyklutz wrote:

i'm a little jealous. if you go to Waldo Pizza please take gratuitous photos so i can live vicariously through them. do you have family down there?

I will take lots of pictures of everything I eat! We're just going down to shop and to see the addition to the Egyptian collection at Nelson-Atkins. And maybe the dinosaurs at Union Station.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:37 pm 

I actually lived at 76th and Troost for a couple of years, so I was within walking distance from Waldo Pizza. That was awesome. Their vegan soy cheez is actually really good, but it costs quite a bit, so I didn't get to take advantage as much as I'd have liked. I did get to try a lemon-flavored cupcake there once, too, and it was SO good.

I've never been to the Westside, so I'll have to check that out.

Did you ever hit up Eden Alley, in the lower level of the Unity Temple? I could live on their veggie burgers. I also ate at Lulu's a lot. Tofu wrap with peanut sauce, yes please.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:20 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

i was never too crazy about Eden Alley, their food was inconsistent. also, most of the desserts i had from there were too dry. we fazed out going there, unfortunately.

Lulu's is adorable. the moment i saw their logo it was love. there's also an amazing thai restaurant, simply called Thai House, at 99th & Holmes, and it's the best thai food i've had since living in Philadelphia. it's in a bland strip mall - completely an example of don't judge a book by it's cover. the food is amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:44 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I've always had good food at Eden Alley, but I only eat there a few times a year, and it's usually right when they open and everyone is fresh. The Reulke (I think that's how it's spelled?) sandwich was awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:15 pm 

peanutshell wrote:
there's also an amazing thai restaurant, simply called Thai House, at 99th & Holmes, and it's the best thai food i've had since living in Philadelphia. it's in a bland strip mall - completely an example of don't judge a book by it's cover. the food is amazing.

My ex and I used to drive past this restaurant all the time when we lived in the Waldo area, but he's not a big fan of Thai food, so we never went. My current boyfriend is also not into Thai food (what the fork), so I rarely ever eat it now, but I may just have to get the ladies together for a girls' night in KC and head out there to try it.

luckyklutz wrote:
I've always had good food at Eden Alley, but I only eat there a few times a year, and it's usually right when they open and everyone is fresh. The Reulke (I think that's how it's spelled?) sandwich was awesome.

I agree, I haven't ever had a bad experience at Eden. But, like you, I go there rarely and usually early in the day for lunch when I'm shopping on the Plaza. I haven't had the Ruelke, and it looks like it's not part of their regular menu. Might be one of those dishes they just have as a special.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:37 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Hello Mo-Kan vegans!

St. Louis, MO here! I also travel to KC now and then since my sister lives there. I hit up Waldo PIzza last time the fella and I were there. Pretty good. I was thrilled to have vegan cheese garlic bread with my pizza. The didn't have the ice cream when I went, but I ordered a lemon cupcake which was totally horrible so they took it off the bill (think it had been sitting around WAY too long). Nice staff, nice atmosphere, decent food. St. Louis has some great places too. I'm starting to love it here as a vegan as each new year passes. Now, if we could only get a vegan ice cream shop or a shop which has a few good vegan options I'd be ecstatic. We're doing pretty good on the food, just need a few more dessert options.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:12 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I currently live in Westport. I moved here a little while ago from Los Angeles and have actually found a very surprising amount of vegan food in the area. FUD is awesome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Anyone been to Fud yet? I'm visiting KC (where I'm from) next weekend and wanting to try it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:47 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I really liked FUD. Get the nachos and you will be happy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:56 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh, good! I'm really hoping I can convince my mom and sister to go with me. No doubt they will think it's "weird."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:07 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

STL here! Plenty of yummy vegan options for eating out, and even more are popping up.

The one (and only) time I've been to KC was last May for Conan O'Brien, so we decided to eat near the venue before the show....TERRIBLE IDEA. We read the menus at 10 different restaurants before finding somewhere that had a single thing I could eat. Then when I ordered some sort of mexican dish without sour cream or cheese, the waiter said, "Really? What's the point?" I gave him a death glare and a tiny tip. Jeez Louise.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We ended up at Eden Alley and everyone loved it!