| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need suggestions for trip
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my husband and I's 10th anniversary is next June (2015)
we've been saving money for a trip pretty much since we got married so we have a decent amount saved but nothing crazy.
my original plan was a south seas cruise but airfare was cheaper 10 years ago and we werent planning on having kids. now we have a 13 month old.

im thinking we will actually put the trip off til 2016 when our daughter will be 3 as i dont see us being able to leave her with my parents for a week when she's 2ish.

so instead of our big hubby/wifey trip next year we will probably do a budget family vacay then do our big trip the next year.

looking for suggestions for a nice trip for our anniversary trip. i was thinking of redoing our honeymoon which was an AMAZING trip. it was a Meditteranean cruise but it was 2 weeks and i dont think we can leave our daughter for 2 weeks i think that will be too long for her.

inside the US we would be interested in Natl Parks. we LOVED Yellowstone. im basically obsessed with the place.
outside the US most places within reason (financially) i am open too. strangely im not at all interested in traveling anywhere in Asia but am definitely interested in Central and South America.

Patagonia??? wonder how crazy expensive that would be.

ugh there are too many amazing places in the world. i cant decide!

Post subject: Re: need suggestions for trip
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:18 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Fun! Do you have an idea of what type of vacation you'd like? Like, lay-on-the-beach vs. see-all-the-sights vs. exploring-in-nature vs. eating-all-the-food? Or a little from column A, a little from column B? That might help narrow down options. Would you be going in June or just any time in 2016?

Patagonia is on my travel bucket list for sure, but I've never even looked into the cost. For some reason I've always pictured going after my kids are grown, so I've got time, ha.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:51 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Canada! :) Come to the maritimes. I am still in honeymoon phase with Nova Scotia but it's gorgeous here, easy to travel around, inexpensive, and there is NO lack of things to do. Or if you want to go broke, go to Vancouver. It's very nice and I love it a lot, but $$$$$$. :)

I really like Hawaii too, especially the big Island. If you like parks, there's nothing I love more than Glacier National Park in Montana, and it's not crazy expensive.

Do you like wine? My husband and I did Napa/Sonoma for his birthday when I was living in California and it was dreamy.

I'm jealous! I want to plan a trip!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:46 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

The maritimes are beautiful. Also, a bit of an oddball suggestion, but Kingston, Ontario (outside Ottawa) is a lovely city to visit in the summer. There's always festivals and stuff, you can visit Fort Henry or do Haunted Walk tours. Thousand Islands river cruises.

I haven't really visited the downtown since going vegan, though.

Or do a bit of an Ontario Roadtrip! Kingston, Ottawa, Toronto, camp in between? Yeah!

My friend just hot back from Peru and raved about it. Don't know how $$$$$ though. Or, follow my lead, and do an Alaska cruise. It was amazingly easy to be Vegan cruising with Celebrity.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:31 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we are not sit on the beach type of people. i get bored and antsy and i am super pale so the sun hates me. i mean dont get me wrong i like the beach as much as the next person but i cant do a whole week of it. so for example when we've been in tropical places you are more likely to find us out hiking through a rainforest, exploring ruins, or snorkeling or something.

our vacation style is go-go-go-go non stop. if we are in a city we are out site seeing historical places, if we are in a park we are hiking through the woods. if we are somewhere tropical see above!

we literally cram as much as possible in.

we arent really eat-all-the-food type of people. #1 my husband is one of those people who forgets to eat (insanity!) #2 i have really bad anxiety so that topped with being vegan makes going out to eat in strange places hard. i dont like asking for a lot of substitutions or asking questions. i literally cant get the words out of my mouth. in a foreign country where we dont speak the language, forget about it. before our honeymoon cruise we spent two days in Barcelona. that was pregan but i was vegetarian. we ate candy for a day and a half and went out to eat once.

we did however love portland, or. my husband loves craft brews and i obviously ate all the vegan noms.

Glacier Natl Park is a fantastic idea. i was also thinking of Yosemite but then i wondered if both those might be a better family vacay.
i guess im looking for some place exotic. probably some place we would fly to out of the country since we have money saved maybe we can actually afford the flights where normally it's been way too expensive in the past few years to fly out of the country for vacation.
so also for that reason though i love Canada it's not really interesting me at this point. we can drive easily to the east coast of Canada since we live in New England so im thinking maybe do that a different year.

Peru is an awesome suggestion. i would LOVE to go to Macchu Picchu (sp?)
i would also love to go to Ecuador and take a boat over to the Galapagos but i dont think we can afford that i believe it's super expensive.

an Alaskan cruise also sounds amazing. i know my parents looked into many many years ago and while the cruise itself i think is affordable all the excursions and cost of doing stuff is insane. ill have to look into it.

i am thinking between some place South (ie Central or S America), Alaska, or Europe. i went to Paris for 2 weeks on an exchange program when i was like 17 and i would die to go back but methinks that is out of our budget.

the other thing i keep thinking of is ive always wanted to do a cruise through the Panama Canal. it was my plan to do it for our 5th anniversary but obviously that never happened. however in order to cruise all the way through rather than going in and turning around i think the cruises are generally 2 weeks long

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:52 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

If you guys are really into hiking and want to do something in June/early July, definitely keep Alaska on your list. It's obscenely beautiful (at least for a mountain-obsessed Midwesterner), and you there's so much to do. There's a ton of hiking spots near Anchorage or a few hours away, so you can keep costs down by doing a lot of exploring that way. I'm no great hiker, and I've done a bunch of them over the years of varying intensities. I also went on a glacier cruise a few years ago, and that was an awesome experience. I took 1000 photos that day, and got to see a bunch of wild life (eagles, sea lions/seals, & tons of other birds, but no whales). Fred's mom paid for that, so I have no idea how much it cost, but it might be a nice splurge. Even the drives around here are ridiculously amazing. Seward Highway (heading southeast from ANC) is one of the most awe-inspiring drives, rivaling only the PCH for amazingness. Plus Anchorage has a bunch of great museums (or so Fred's mom keeps telling us), including one about Native heritage, which I've heard is really awesome.

Anchorage in particular has gotten much more vegan friendly in the 5 years I've been visiting, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm like you in that I don't like to inconvenience servers/cooks much, and I don't have a problem finding things that are labeled vegan, or are easily modified by removing the cheese or whatever. I'm gushing because I'm here now, but I really love this state.

You could also do a sort of Pacific Northwest road trip, and hit up Vancouver/Seattle/Portland. There are tons of things to do, amazing breweries, wineries & lots of vegan noms to keep you happy for weeks. That's a good one to keep in mind once BabyPunk is a little older too.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i forgot to answer one of the questions someone asked.

as far as time of year. that doesnt matter. it does not have to be in June. we usually plan our vacations to correspond with the weather. so if we are going some place warm/tropical we usually go February/March when it's disgusting and cold here and we are sick of it.

for Yellowstone we went in June because the tourist season there is super short because it's way up in the mountains and they get boatloads of snow.

our mediteranean cruise was at the end of June mostly cause we went a week or two after we got married. the weather was nice but also pretty hot in some places we stopped at.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

kara kara for some reason i didnt see your response until now. thanks for the Alaska info. good to know it's not super difficult to be vegan in Anchorage. we definitely love hiking and wilderness. we're not like super hikers or anything but we enjoy it. i love love LOVE spotting wildlife. like i said i am like obsessed with Yellowstone and there was tons of wildlife to see there. i think Alaska would be the only place in the US anyways that would rival that (and probably top it!)

im pricing Alaska cruises now.

we did Seattle when we went to Portland as we flew in and out of Seattle. it was nice and worth a visit but we werent super into it. Portland we LOVED.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:03 am 
Nooch of Earl

I know Babypunk has a lot of stranger anxiety, but in case that passes, I left my daughter with my parents for a week while I visited Guam when she was…21-ish months, and it was GREAT. They loved having a chance to spend time with her, and I loved a vacation alone with hubby! On the other hand, I also took her to Japan with me at 18 months and that was fine too, except for the killer time change. Anyway babies can change a lot in a few months so I wouldn't totally rule it out!

Personally in your shoes I would opt for somewhere that is either a vegetarian hotel within day trip distance to interesting things OR a place with a kitchen you can cook in. If you do go with a cruise I've heard the Disney ones are both great at accommodating special diets and great with different kid amenities - when we looked into it a little it seemed like most other cruise lines only do childcare for 3+.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:38 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I just got back last night from Iceland! Amazingly beautiful----lots to do and see in Reykjavic and so much outside the city. We went out to eat and also had an apartment with a kitchen so we cooked some, too. I'd highly recommend it and I'd love to go back.