| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Jersey! - Only the Strong Survive
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

RandiJM wrote:
Why you scare me from vegan froyo! :*(

:-( well, it'd make sense that froyo would be protected by the probiotics? (maybe?)
the study was on stupid uneducated ice cream purveyors that would wipe the drips off the tip of the machines with their fingers and lick it off (most were food trucks) i'm sure TCBY has better food safety educated employees.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:56 pm 
Hip Goiter

So gross!!! Well hopefully TCBY workers are more professional...but...yikes. :) So I'm pretty sure I can finagle a trip to Veggie Heaven (!!!) AND Loving Hut! Apparently we're having dinner at an aunt's one night (who won't make vegan things COOL!) and she lives near Loving Hut so I'm gonna eat there first bitchesssss! OR bring it and be all BE JEALOUS.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:24 pm 
Hip Goiter

Hii I just got back from a failed attempt at getting TCBY in Denville. They didn't have the Silk! Wahhhh! I'm so upset. I did have Veggie Heaven for lunch though and it was GREAT! Ordered way too much and have tons left for dinner too. Yay. But boo TCBY. Ugh. I need soft serve like asap...

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:29 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I would be pissed!!! i too have failed every time. boo. but good on veggie heaven!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:08 pm 
Semen Strong

I am insanely in love with Positivitea in Verona. I have never ever had such good soft-serve.

On the outside, it seems to just be a cute little tea place. But don't let it fool you - the food is amazing! We started off with the soft serve, after a long walk in the park, and I have never had anything so delicious - it is perfect and so light and just disappears on your palate with no heaviness, allowing the mix-ins to shine through. We had graham crackers, vegan marshmallows and chocolate sauce and it was great! Plus the price point is pretty incredibly low for vegan, organic, artisanal, GF, small batch, coconut based goodness! It was $4.50 for a small - which was 12oz, I think?

Seduced by the perfect soft-serve, we went on to have the Big Wac, which I thought would be a pre-made veggie burger, but turned out to be house-made, perfectly spiced quinoa and beans, with housemade pickles and the most delicious and light kale slaw. It was perfection, and at $10 was a real bargain, especially because the bun was GF (how did they get GF bread so perfect, moist and light?).

And we had Serendipity tea to finish, which was the perfect palate cleanser - so clean and fresh, with notes of lemongrass that left you feeling happy and at peace. This was an amazing meal, and I will go back again soon!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:42 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

whoa, that sounds amazing! i hope they're still open when i'm able to visit NJ again!

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:45 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ok anywhere fabulous in the general area of Scotch Plains/Watchung?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:40 pm 
Semen Strong

There is a Thai place on Route 22 in Scotch Plains that does good Thai and quite a few good Indian places (my Mom used to live in Scotch Plains).

How far from Scotch Plains are you willing to go? I don't remember anything fabulous but have a few vegan friends who live around there and can ask!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:57 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

we are sorta just passing through, my Jersey geography knowledge is very sketchy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

we're going to have an impromptu visit to red bank tomorrow. anyone else planning to go to the farmer's market? (we're also going to yestercades) so excited to finally try cinnamon snail. whee!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:06 pm 
Semen Strong

I want to go, but have to play it by ear with the kiddo and the husband! When are you heading down? I'd like to be there at 11, but its unlikely :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

we're about an hour and a half away, and we're highly unlikely to wake up before 9:00, so 11:00 sounds like a reasonable time. we'll probably mill about a little before heading to yestercades. (i think we might go for breakfast donuts and then again for lunch around 1:00 or so.) gramps also wants to check out the secret stash too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Its SO GOOD! And I haven't had Cinnamon Snail all Summer! Man, I need donuts and a Creole sub so much!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creole sub, you say? that's actually what i was eyeing. nice to hear it's crave-worthy.

turns out we both had a bad night's sleep, so we're just now getting on the road, so 12:00 at the earliest. my phone number is on my FB profile. (the 215 #) but don't stress if you can't come out. <3

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:59 pm 
Semen Strong

Woooooooooooooooooo! We got to meet you! It was so fun meeting you and Mr. Supercarrot!

I ended up eating the Creole Sub and the Thanksgiving Sandoo, and they were both fantastic. Plus a ton of donuts :) Woo! Snailing!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:31 pm 
Hip Goiter

Oh man so jealous of fun meetings and Cinnamon Snail! I haven't had it in months and I still haven't gone to Red Bank! How much longer does the farmers market run, she asks as she realizes she can google the answer...

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:39 pm 
Semen Strong

Hahaha! Mid November! If you want to meet me there any given Sunday (except 11/3) we are down!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:42 pm 
Hip Goiter

Tofulish wrote:
Hahaha! Mid November! If you want to meet me there any given Sunday (except 11/3) we are down!

DONE! LET'S DOOO IT!

Is the ice cream vendor still there, despite the cold weather?

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:45 pm 
Semen Strong

YES! They were there today! It was supernice out! Next weekend is going to be in the mid-60s.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yay! it was great meeting you and leela and cuddles and brett. :-) even if it was only for a short time.

mmmm. the creole sub was so gooooood!

we got the last apple cider donut, and it was delicious! (i'm more a fan of cake donuts, so that was right up my alley.) the cinnamon snail=yum, the plain glazed donut=yum, the bourbon creme brulee donut=really tasty! the only thing i had that i wasn't a fan of was the pumpkin twist coated with white chocolate. :-( i wonder if they got a new kind of cinnamon, and didn't adjust their recipe. it tasted like plasticizer. (mr. carrot thought so too, so it's not just my supertastebuds.) but that flavor wasn't in the snail, so whatever it was, it was isolated.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:44 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh that sucks! I have no idea what plasticizer tastes like, but it doesn't sound yummy. I wonder if its the white chocolate, which can sometimes have that texture or kind of fake taste.

The Mexican Hot Chocolate Twists are great, if you ever feel like twisting again (like we did last summer).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:22 pm 
Hip Goiter

Tofulish wrote:

The Mexican Hot Chocolate Twists are great, if you ever feel like twisting again (like we did last summer).

YES they are and BAHahahahah

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

RandiJM wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
...if you ever feel like twisting again (like we did last summer).

... and BAHahahahah

<3

it kinda tastes like what a dishwasher full of tupperware smells like after an intense heated dry session. (mr carrot thinks maybe they had a brand new storage container that wasn't washed before use or something.)

i'll taste just the coating tomorrow and let you know if that's it. (i probably won't eat the rest of it. what would be wonderful though, is if the one twist tasted like that, and my 2nd one doesn't taste like that at all. *fingers crossed*)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:44 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

RandiJM wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

YES they are and BAHahahahah

thirded - the Mexican chocolate ones are amazing! (and the other part went over my head)

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ok, it's definitely either the cinnamon or something used in the cinnamon part. the coating was fine, and the cake was only ever slightly plasticy, but the swirl was definitely overwhelmingly plastic tasting.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next