| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:10 pm 
Tofu Pup

As a new vegan, I have been searching out vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants here because I love to eat out!

Here are the ones I know of:

Zen Kitchen on Somerset (Vegan)
The Green Earth on Preston (Vegan)
The Green Door on Main (Vegan Friendly)
The Table on Wellington (Vegan Friendly)
Cafe My House on Bank (Vegan Friendly)

Anyone know of any others?

Post subject: Re: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:51 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

govindas on somerset (vegan)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:40 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Perfection Satisfaction Promise on Laurier (vegan friendly)

These guys have a few more listed that I never made it to. http://www.punkottawa.com/aroundottawa/ ... ndex.shtml The only one I think might be out of business is Sacred Garden. When I drove by in the spring It was closed down, so I don't know if they moved or if it was the end for them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:20 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

umm the Ethiopian restaurants that are a few blocks past byward's market haveveg options.
also a few vietnamese places in 'chinatown.'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:58 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

mamatafari wrote:
umm the Ethiopian restaurants that are a few blocks past byward's market haveveg options.
also a few vietnamese places in 'chinatown.'

Yeah, The Horn of Africa on Rideau St. is vegan-friendly; the "vegetarian options" are mostly vegan. It's so delicious though–spicy lentils and beans with the injera bread are delicious. Great for group shindigs/splitting a meal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:56 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Gotta go to Auntie Loo's!!!

"POSI JUMP HURTS MY TITS" - Isa.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:07 am 

YES. Auntie Loo's Cherry Almond cupcake is FOODGASM.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi,

My husband and I are from North Bay. We will be moving to Ottawa in the spring/summer and we are curious about any good areas of the city to look into for apartments, as well as Vegan friendly stores. I can imagine a place like Ottawa would be a little more Vegan friendly then our little city.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:03 am 

Veganrilla07 wrote:
Hi,

My husband and I are from North Bay. We will be moving to Ottawa in the spring/summer and we are curious about any good areas of the city to look into for apartments, as well as Vegan friendly stores. I can imagine a place like Ottawa would be a little more Vegan friendly then our little city.

Oh yes, Ottawa is very vegan friendly. There are so many great neighbourhoods to choose from. I really like Westboro (richmond road between parkdale & roosevelt). There are lots of little shops & cafes, an awesome vegetarian(mostly vegan) restaurant at Parkdale/richmond rd), a really good health food store/organic market. Further west on richmond, there is my fave health food store called Rainbow. Going east, Richmond becomes Somerset, and you head into Little Italy and China Town.
Of course, I love Byward market and surrounding downtown. You can walk to most everything. I also love the area I think is called Centretown, which is very apartment dense, so you would probably have lots to choose from. Plus downtown has everything you need.
The glebe is nice but probably more expensive accommodations.
Have you been there? I know it’s a bit of a drive, but maybe head down for a weekend and start scoping out the different areas to see what appeals to you.
I really love Ottawa. It’s a beautiful city.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

von m wrote:
Veganrilla07 wrote:
Hi,

Oh yes, Ottawa is very vegan friendly. There are so many great neighbourhoods to choose from. I really like Westboro (richmond road between parkdale & roosevelt). There are lots of little shops & cafes, an awesome vegetarian(mostly vegan) restaurant at Parkdale/richmond rd), a really good health food store/organic market. Further west on richmond, there is my fave health food store called Rainbow. Going east, Richmond becomes Somerset, and you head into Little Italy and China Town.
Of course, I love Byward market and surrounding downtown. You can walk to most everything. I also love the area I think is called Centretown, which is very apartment dense, so you would probably have lots to choose from. Plus downtown has everything you need.
The glebe is nice but probably more expensive accommodations.
Have you been there? I know it’s a bit of a drive, but maybe head down for a weekend and start scoping out the different areas to see what appeals to you.
I really love Ottawa. It’s a beautiful city.

Wow! Thank you so much for the great information. My husband spent some time in Ottawa, during his hitchhiking days, and I have been there on a few trips. During our visits we have really fallen for the city. We like that it is a mix of city and green space that a place like Toronto lacks. We've had many people only give us positive feedback about the city and its various centers and opportunities.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:55 am 

I like Ottawa because it's kind of a happy middle between people who are "big city" and "small town". Nice mix of nature parks and bustling city life. Just don't count on your favourite bands coming to play Scotiabank Place :( (though it is changing! some actually don't skip Ottawa for Montreal)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:37 am 

tealattes_arethebomb wrote:
I like Ottawa because it's kind of a happy middle between people who are "big city" and "small town". Nice mix of nature parks and bustling city life. Just don't count on your favourite bands coming to play Scotiabank Place :( (though it is changing! some actually don't skip Ottawa for Montreal)

That's what I love about it. It has the culture, arts and shopping of those cities, but without all the traffic and congestion.

Veganrilla, Toronto has tons of green spaces, you just have to know where they are. Ottawa definitely has some amazing green spaces, they have done an fantastic job with parks, and bike paths, and you are so close to wilderness there. When you want to get out of Ottawa, as soon as you leave the city limits, you are in the countryside. When you want to get away from Toronto, it takes at least an 1 to 1 1/2 hours of driving to really feel like you've left it behind.