| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aaah, I'm freaking out! Help needed!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:03 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Hello there :)

I am a dancer. Not a choerographer. I thought. Despite this, I've somehow decided to apply to a choreography competition that takes place this Saturday. I have the dance down, the huge and scary task right now is to get the costume down.

I am freaking out. I interpret the song differently each time I'm listening to it, I have (almost) no money to buy fabric or new clothes for and man, the clock is ticking.
So, please, can you help me come up with the right costume?

This is my vision (and some other things that are good to know):

- The song is Once Weekly by The Flashbulb. Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki7wL8uezvA
- The choreography is kind of slow and floating, I imagine the character being trapped inside a dream or some kind of underworld. The character is some some kind of mermaid-ish creature, not really human.
- I have scars on my right arm that I want to hide (that's another story but I'm fine right now. However I've absolutely no need for questions or weird looks as I'm going to be nervous as it is)
- The colour should be a dusty grey or lilac. Nothing too bright or dark. I want the silouette to be uneven and slashed, it should look layered and tattered. I just don't know how.

Please forgive my sloppy English, I'm writing this so fast. Trying to remember to breathe.
Edited for embarrassing spelling errors.

Post subject: Re: Aaah, I'm freaking out! Help needed!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:57 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I would love to see what you come up with for this, the music has so much going on!

As for costume, it's difficult to know what to suggest based on what you've said. If you can't afford to spend much on buying one, do you want people to search for ideas that you can turn something you already have into?

Do you know any folks you can borrow something from? Are there any theatres near you that might hire costumes out? Do you have time to go round charity shops, or make a costume from something like dollar store dust sheets? I've had success with shower curtains or car-protector sheets when making costumes before, but I didn't have to dance in them!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:53 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Thank you for your answer! It came to me having to minimize my idea (I tend to get these big visions that are often hard to put into reality...) and I'll be wearing something simple. I'll have to make my dancing shine through instead ;)

The competition is tomorrow, starting to get butterflies!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:04 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Helix wrote:
I'll have to make my dancing shine through instead ;)

Yes! A complicated costume might've distracted from the performance anyway. ;)
Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:21 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

It all worked out! Second hand is the best. I didn't win the competition (my solo was a minimalistic contemporary piece with lots of crawling and not so much show dance, the winner was a girl who did a street routine with gemstones all over her face so obv I wasnt the type of girl they were looking for) but one of the judges that have danced with the Cullberg Ballet (my dream company to be in) wanted to talk to me afterwards and told me to elaborate my world. That was the biggest prize I could imagine, I was in tears! But now I feel really empty after working so hard for something that's over!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:47 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Just saw this now. I for one, am proud of you for doing it. Great job! I wish I could have seen it. I love contemporary dance (but I am a social scientist, not a dancer. Maybe in my next life).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:42 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Oh, that meant a lot to me <3