| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vegan survival kit (actual emergencies, not weddings)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:02 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

since "vegan survival kit" and "vegan emergency kit" have been co-opted by people talking about going to weddings and such, it's kinda impossible to google any effective answers.

i'm looking for stuff to put in an actual survival kit. something long-lived, perhaps freeze-dried, MREs (but of course not a real MRE, since it's illegal to sell those.) i guess cans of stuff makes sense. also, i guess alfalfa seeds? and other stuff to sprout.

another option is to possibly vacuum suck the air out of crackers and whatnot. (i have those foodsaver bags, but i guess vacuuming a bag will crush the crackers. maybe it makes more sense to make biscotti and vacuum seal those.)

vacuum sealed lentils are probably also pretty ideal, since you can either sprout them or cook them with minimal effort.

i was thinking of getting a hydros filtering bottle or two to stick in there.

there are actual pre-made vegetarian survival kits, but they're totally milky.

Post subject: Re: vegan survival kit (actual emergencies, not weddings)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:02 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I am a preparedness fanatic and keep what I've been told is an "insane" amount of food on hand. You may not want not to build such a hoard, but hopefully I can share something that you will find relevant. :)

I find that is is more comforting to me to be able to make whatever I want. So, my long-term goods are mostly "ingredients" - canned, dehydrated, and freeze-dried (FD) fruits & vegetables, grains/flours, pasta, beans, nuts, spices/sugar and lots of water.

FD veggies are incredible in hot dishes like soup, chili, etc. The flavor is bright and often better than the "fresh" stuff available at the supermarket - definitely better than canned. FD fruits are great in smoothies, baked goods, jams/jellies and frozen treats - most of them also make a great snack straight out the container.

Dehydrated or dried fruits & veggies are good too, but don't keep as long as the FD stuff due to the extra moisture content.

Grains/flours, pasta and beans are also easy to keep for long periods if they are sealed away from air and moisture - either in cans, buckets or bags. I added soy beans so I could make soy milk and tofu to replace the dairy and eggs.

Nuts can be tricky - some people have good luck roasting them and then vacuum packing, but any time I've tried to store them long-term they end up going rancid... so I don't keep more than we could eat up in 6 months or less. We've planted some walnut trees, but they don't bear fruit yet.

One important thing to consider with FD stuff is that it takes a little getting used to. If you wait until an actual emergency to use them, you'll more than likely have a hard time eating the results. I use my preps for daily cooking - especially in fall and winter when the gardens slow down. That way during a crisis it's one less thing that isn't "normal" and it also keeps everything rotated.

My short-term "bug-out bags" - for grab-and-go type crises - don't require any cooking. They're packed with granola bars, dried fruit, some vegan jerky, bottled water and a filtration bottle, and basic first-aid supplies.

I really like your thinking with the lentils and the alfalfa - they sprout very quickly. I frequently sprout beans and grains before cooking them, but haven't really ever tried fully growing the sprouts to eat... something I'll have to experiment with now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:15 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I put one together in a backpack -- I have 4 cans of Eden rice & beans (and a can opener), a 4-pack of applesauce, almonds, GoPicnic meals, peanut butter packets, pretzels, shelf stable soy milk, a first aid kit, paper towels, plastic utensils, paper plates, hand sanitizer. It became a lot more important to me when I had to start eating gluten free -- I can't just be desperate enough to go eat the food that is being prepared for everyone by churches and volunteers if my town gets wiped out by a tornado. If I eat gluten, I get really ill, so that's not really an option. In the backpack, I can easily carry it with me if we need to leave our home.

I just tried to pick items with far out expiration dates -- my first swap-outs will be in September and are only two items.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:24 pm 

oh! i just remembered. fantastic foods stuff would be great for a bug-out bag, being so lightweight and taking up not a whole lot of space. but of course it doesn't last nearly as long as the stuff purported to last 30 years. (and with my memory, i wouldn't remember to rotate the stock. i guess i'd need to set up a google alert or something.) :-)

tasty bite might be good too, since they're in pouches, not cans.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I think this was a topic of conversation after Sandy? Someone here recommended Vegan Unplugged, a cookbook by Robin Robertson and her husband. It has a list of items to make an emergency box that would feed two for five days or something like that. I went so far as to buy the cookbook, but I haven't made a box yet. I think it would also be useful for travel cooking/eating, but I haven't tried any of the recipes yet so I don't know how good the food tastes (matters to me on vacation not really in an emergency).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:19 pm 

oh! i found 2 threads. thanks! i'll read through them now. <3

Emergency Supplies
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18771

Do you have an emergency plan?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20474

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:05 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

As weird as it sounds, I'd check out LDS guidelines for emergency kits. They're super into self sufficiency and encourage all members to have 72-hr, 3 month, and 12 month kits. They also have facilities where you can buy bulk foodstocks (grains, beans, also non-vegan stuff) for a reasonable price and package it on site using their industrial vacuum sealers for giant cans. According to my LDS friend these facilities are open to the public, you just have to call and make a appointment to use them. You can look at their order sheet w/ prices online, too. This is where we plan to go once we have some time to assemble out kits.

Here's the guideline page I was talking about: http://www.lds.org/topics/food-storage/ ... y?lang=eng

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:30 am 

wow. that was extremely helpful. thank you!
(especially the part that said PETE bottles with oxygen absorbers is better than vacuum sealing.)

i wonder why pinto beans are the only ones mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:53 am 
Nooch of Earl

Robin Robertson has a book called "Apocalypse Chow" that might be helpful.

You can buy MREs at a military commissary, and there are four vegetarian meals but none of them are vegan (not even in a squint and ignore the vitamin D kind of sense). They do, however, contain vegan-ish components (again this is ignoring some vitamin fortification, end of the list ingredients that could go either way - when I looked at the ingredients I was mainly just looking for dairy/eggs or not and each meal was disqualified based on that alone). I have a few and figure that my O-L husband and I can divvy up the different items. He gets the entrees, I get a lot of PB&crackers.

I looked into this some a while ago when I decided to put together my own car kit and quickly got turned off by the rabbithole of crazy I fell down trying to find info.

I need to repack bags for the bairn and me - we're close to earthquake and forest fire territory. I'm not really worried about having to survive for weeks on end in the wildnerness or anything like that, so I would probably focus on things like Lara bars, single serve packets of nut butter, seitan jerky, cans of mock duck or similar.. protein foods, because that's realistically what would be hardest to obtain if we were stuck at a shelter with whatever was handed out. Maybe canned foods for a car kit. For V, some shelf-stable squeeze fruits and baby friendly snacks like Jammie sammies.. Maybe some instant oatmeal packs.

There are a couple of good veggie backpacking books as well that would have dehydrated meals. If you camp a lot, it would be easy enough to keep your dried meal stash in an emergency kit and then transfer and replace as needed. My primary worry would be shelf-stability and humidity etc. with non-canned ingredients.

Steripen and iodine drops..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:59 am 
Nooch of Earl

Oh and there are other steps you can take that are really important in case of an emergency. Have a plan. Settle on an out of the area contact point in case you and your family are separated. This is something we emphasize to the wives during deployments - make sure your husband knows where you'll go if there's an emergency. Communication lines might be cut, and reaching one another at the same time might be much more difficult than contacting a third party out of the affected area.

For your children the most important thing to pack is their information (including any allergies etc.) and photos and names/contact info for family members, along with information on your out of area contact (see above).

I love this site:
http://72hours.org/build_kit.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:23 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

http://www.foodstorageguys.com (look under the food storage category or search for vegan) This is my hubby's site, so I'm biased, but he and I carefully read over ingredient lists weeding out all the vegan-suitable stuff. It's out there, but it took some doing to get a balanced variety, ha. (We were both disgusted that you can't even get storable granola without milk powder in it, at least that we've found yet.)

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:29 pm 

AWESOME!!!!! i will definitely order from you when we can scrape enough together. so cool!

searching vegan only showed up the kits, not meals or bars. i looked under meals, and it looks like the sweet and sour stir fry might also be vegan? is there an ingredient that makes it not vegan? (perhaps the natural flavors?) and the datrex meal bars aren't listed as being vegan either.

also, would it be possible to buy extra cans of the vegetable stew blend, seeds and baking soda by themselves instead of in the pre-assembled kits?

also, what's inside the "organic food storage" box? (or is it not food, but only a box to store other things in? that confused me.)

also, the raisins don't have a shelf life listed. (are they too moist for long-term storage?) does the sprouting mix have individual pouches inside, or is it all just thrown in there loose?

(i have so many questions!) is there a reason you don't carry lentils? do they not last long?

i love that the vegan year-long kit is so less expensive than the other kits. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I know when I stock up for hurricane season, I try to buy extras of shelf stable food that we will actually eat on a regular basis. I go through it and use it up starting Nov. 1st.

However, if something like US CentCom being blown up happens, I might be just out of luck unless it happens between June and Nov.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:15 am 

on a survival forum, someone said that brown rice generally doesn't survive past 5 years, but that parboiled brown rice has about 80% of the nutrition, and the storage capacity of white rice. nice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:38 pm 

i found this site. http://outdoorherbivore.com/
looks like it'd be more like something you put in your bug-out-bag and rotate maybe yearly. i don't see any mention of oxygen absorbers or anything. i would probably take a few meals and put them (bag and all) inside a larger vacuum bag with an oxygen absorber. that'd probably be enough to preserve it. unfortunately $6 per serving is a bit high.)

i also found backpacker's pantry http://www.backpackerspantry.com/
they have a large variety of vegan meals (even xgfx!) most meals are in 2-serving packets, but some have a #10 can option.
http://www.backpackerspantry.com/produc ... ntree.html (the sidebar has more vegan stuff)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:21 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Great to see this thread here!

Emergency preparedness is an excellent practice for any and every one. Of course, other than food, almost all of the information non-vegan's have out there is relevant and there is a wealth of that info available. I suggest starting by considering how tol have enough safe water when that isn't just coming out of your tap and stores are empty or shut down. Next, what do you do when you have an emergency and calling 911 just is not an option?

Stay safe! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:44 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

We make seitan chunks and steaks, then dry them out. To be efficient about it, we make them in the winter and lay them out on screens we hang from the ceiling over our wood stove. There are a couple of tricks concerning things like cooked texture best suited to being reconstituted, but nothing major. We use this dehydrated seitan as part of our every day food preparation. I even have some in the car to crunch on if I get "sick-hungry" while I'm out shopping. It's like using TVP, but tastier and much cheaper. Excellent as a light weight BOB protein item.

I'm set for life w/my store of vital wheat gluten (no kidding). We buy in 50# bags from Honeyvillegrain.com (presently $82 each) and no matter how much you order from them, you pay a flat $4.49 shipping fee. We store in 5 gal peanut butter pails collected from our food co-op. Sometimes Honeyville has additional sales where you get up to an additional 15% off entire order. For anyone who eats some form of seitan daily (as we do), $1.75/# for VWG is better than paying $3.75-$10/# everywhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:11 am 

i got some relatively inexpensive 100cc oxygen absorbers from amazon, and i've been putting together my own containers. (and repackaging some things i got in the #10 cans. in an emergency, no way am i using the entire #10 can of certain ingredients in 7 days.)

#1 plastic is apparently gasproof, so i've been collecting bottles to store stuff in. there was a sale on adirondack seltzers, so i picked up a bunch (1L bottles are perfect for one absorber, since upon googling, the preppers said a 300cc absorber goes in a gallon) so i've been putting my beans and grains in those bottles. unfortunately the seltzers are pretty bitter on their own, but paired with fruit juice, they're pretty tasty. and the white chocolate one mixed with agave tastes like cream soda.

it turns out a 1L bottle only holds 2 days of food for a 50 lb pit bull. time to use up those 2L bottles. :-)

then i realised how annoying it was to fill the skinny necks, so i started looking around for wider necked bottles to use. gatorade is okay, but it has all those indentations on the surface that could trap extra oxygen. i've been putting the onion in smaller bottles, since even 1L is a bit much. also, with a smaller bottle, when i close it back up after using some, the oxygen absorber will have more juice in it, and take that new oxygen away. turns out wegmans has flavored waters in super sturdy 16 oz bottles with straight sides and wide necks! win! (and putting this stuff in smaller bottles also rations it out for bartering in case shiitake goes DOWN)

also, i discovered the perfect funnel for wide necked bottles. an agave nectar bottle from A&P's generic brand "food emporium trading company" fits snugly inside.

i've been writing the contents and packaged date on the tops of the bottles because if they're in a crate, that's what'll be visible from above. just another benefit of having larger caps to write on. (for the 1L bottles, i write on the shoulders of the bottle.) now to get some opaque bins. it looks like the file folder bins from office depot are the ideal height for 1L bottles. (and every once in a while, there's a sale where you get 100% of your purchase price back as office depot credit, and usually these things are included.) http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/7 ... e-Tote-10/ they'll each hold 12 1L seltzer bottles and 3 16oz bottles.

ok, i guess that's it for now. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:50 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Wow! love this thread! I definitely will be starting a pack, we had several hurricane related potential emergencies, better be prepared.

As for the sprouting, wouldn't it be too water intensive? when fresh potable water is hard to get, rinsing out the sprouting lentils, grains, etc seems like a lot of water use.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:05 pm 

apparently with the EZ sprouter, you can do a "no rinse" method. or at least a low rinse method. and you can always use the rinsed water as grey water. (or as soaking water for your beans.)

it's better than not eating anything green.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:04 pm 
Huffs Nooch

A bottle of bleach. No Joke. Sanitary water is priority number one and if used properly bleach can keep you in potable water for a looong time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:49 pm 

but bleach becomes ineffective after a relatively short amount of time, so make sure to rotate your stock yearly or so.
http://chemistry.about.com/b/2013/03/31 ... f-life.htm

or just get drops specifically for water purification and/or a specific purification system.