| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: quilt help!
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:54 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

i got a beautiful quilt on etsy! but it's just the color fabric squares sewn together- there's no backing. i also bought a sheet of backing muslin that will fit- now i just have to sew them together! i'm a total newbie when it comes to sewing- any advice for doing this? (i don't have a sewing machine, so this will have to be done by hand.) alls i knows is that i should pin it, and that i should sew most of it inside out and then flip it. right? heh.

thanks!

Post subject: Re: quilt help!
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:28 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

you might also want to get batting to fill it in (so it's heavier and warmer). If you plan to hang it, you might want to use a cheap flannel-type of fabric so it hangs nicely. If you want to use it, find a nice warm batting.

Is your backing sheet larger than the quilt? If it is, you could consider making a mitered or T border for the quilt from the backing sheet (see http://www.patchwork-quilt-patterns.com ... rders.html for basics on borders). I did one a few years ago with a small mitered edge and it was really easy. Yes, you would sew it inside out and flip it all at the end and do the last little bit Very Very Carefully.
this seems to be a relatively straightforward and helpful page with some ideas
http://quilting.about.com/od/finishings ... acking.htm

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:37 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Torque is right. But if you're not feeling up to the challenge, a lot of quilt stores will finish a quilt from this stage for you, maybe even with nice fancy stitching patterns that you couldn't easily do on your own.

You could also call a quilt shop about signing up for a class that will take you through quiltmaking step by step. Usually they're run by awesome nice people.. And if you don't want that level of human contact, Alewives Fabrics runs an online quilting class.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:48 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

awesome! thanks, guys!

i'm planning on using it as a blanket, but i want to be able to use it during the summer, so i think i will leave out the batting. and i believe i will have enough backing fabric to make a border! :D

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:38 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

the batting won't just make it warmer, it will also enable you to either quilt it or anchor the two layers together (the latter is super simple, the former much harder--- i've only done the latter cuz i'm lazy....)
there are different types of batting, some super thin that won't make it horribly hot- i've made two lightweight quilts with thin batting- it does really add something to it, texture wise. if you don't put in some kind of batting it's going to look like an empty duvet cover or pillowcase, not like a blanket. i like annak's idea of talking to quilt shop folks so you can see what your options are. i started quilting thinking it was super easy but the options seemed so overwhelming, it was helpful to be able to see and touch the options.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

good luck!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:49 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I am in the middle of making my first quilt- I have pieced the top (it was a nice easy jelly roll!), made the sandwich and done the actual quilting bit. Now I need to bind the quilt, but I am stuck! I have purchased bias binding (bias tape), is this okay to use? I am thinking that rather than mitre the corners, I'd like to just sew strips along the sides and tuck the raw edges of the binding under. Do I just enclose the raw edges of the quilt in the tape, then sew along the length, ensuring that I am sewing the binding on both the front and back?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I also used bias tape. You've probably already solved your problem, but if anyone else has this question there is a decent youtube tutorial on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fEv3VXPUEs

And this one talks about making mitered corners: http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2009/05/ ... orial.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:42 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

It's all sorted but thank you! I used bias tape (shop bought) and wasn't feeling ambitious enough to mitre the corners, just did four strips instead. I don't think posted any pics, I'll post some in the S&B thread later on.