| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me repair hardwood floor scratches
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:44 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

So, I need to know what you guys have tried and what does or does not work when it comes to repairing scratches in hardwood floor. The wood has scratches all over basically, but I just now sat down on it to take off my shoes and accidentally scooted back. The buttons on my pants made two scratches, about 4 inches long. I read some things online, but I am worried about going the route of using wood patch, sanding and then resealing since the pieces of wood are different colours. I don't know if this means they have different finishes or if they are actually different wood colours and I could use the same finish. Also, how do I know what kind of sealing finish is on the floor, since I think that would make a difference. I hope I can fix it, since I feel really bad about it. My boyfriend bought this house last year and we've been trying to take really good care of it since it has pretty much everything orignal from the 50's or 60's and this scratch is right in the doorway.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Help me repair hardwood floor scratches
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:13 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Lo tech repair immediate "repair"- color it in with a crayon of the same color as your stain. Know that when there are enough scratches or you want to sell the house, you can refinish sections of the floor, or the whole floor, with a sander & re-stain it all at once. We finally learned at our house it was better not to sweat the scratches- we have two dogs that scratch things up, so we know we'll just eventually re-finish the floors, but for now we are happy with our lived-in look. (We rented a sander and refinished & stained all the floors in our whole house when we first moved in. It was a pain, but the floors turned out great. Do your homework, start with a corner of a room that doesn't get used a to learn, and read back issues of "This Old House").

Post subject: Re: Help me repair hardwood floor scratches
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:49 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yes, I know that the floor would need refinishing if it was to look nice, since the varnish is peeling and there are scratches everywhere. Its just that when you first walk in the section there has been redone and is perfect and shiny. And that is where the scratch is, right when you walk in. I rubbed a walnut in it to fill the area and make it blend since I read to do that somewhere, and it seems to be a working temporary fix, for now.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]