| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey quilters! Can you spare a square?
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I work for a large social services agency, and one of the myriad things my boss does is organize our local chapter of Camp to Belong, which is a summer camp for siblings separated in foster care. They get to come together at camp and do all sorts of family bonding activities. The camp is run by volunteers, and children do not have to pay for their time at camp. One thing that is being organized for the NY chapter is quilt donations so each camper gets a twin sized homemade quilt. I am learning to quilt and trying to make one, but learning is slow going. Camp isn't until the end of August, however, so I'm trying!! What I was hoping was to perhaps get other quilters to make a square and send it to me to put together into the quilt. It'd be a good way to use up some scraps you have around! Right now I'm making very simple squares composed of four 5-inch squares with a 2-inch border around them in shades of blue. I'd be happy to accept any 12 inch squares in any pattern you like to make or have laying around. So buddy, if you can spare a square, send me a PM and I'll send you my address. It's a small thing but it will mean a lot to a kid that doesn't have a lot to call his/her own!

Here's my sample square:

Post subject: Re: Hey quilters! Can you spare a square?
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

What a cute idea! There's a (vaguely) similar thing going on over here where people are knitting or crocheting a 6 inch square, which is going to be joined together to make a huge blanket. Then they're going to throw this over a building before the 2012 Olympic Games (not sure how!) before breaking them down into normal size blankets and selling them for charity or giving them to elderly people who might need them.