| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Knitting for charity
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Hi folks,

I want to donate some knitted items to the Our Hen House etsy shop. My question is, if I follow a pattern and then that knitted item is sold, do I need to compensate the author of the pattern? I have seen on Ravelry that there are some patterns you can purchase for a higher price for the purpose of selling the finished product for profit. Is it the same with items that are sold for charities? If the pattern is free, should I contact the author and ask for permission?

I've read some Ravelry discussions and there are mixed opinions. I think that most people are ok with their patterns going to make items for charity, not necessarily for profit. I figure I'll just contact the author beforehand but I'd appreciate input from ya'll too.

Also, if I make an item using an element from a stitch dictionary or just part of a design from an existing pattern what are the ethics regarding that?

Thanks a bunch!

Post subject: Re: Knitting for charity
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:44 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I think asking the designer is a good idea. I wouldn't think they would mind, as long as you're not selling the product made from their patterns.

As far as a stitch dictionary? I think that is what they are there for, meaning they provide techniques from which you design something original. I think using a pattern as jumping off point is a bit more of a gray area. It would depend, in my mind, on how common the technique is (are you just using it for the math on basic increasing and decreasing, for example) and how much you depart from the pattern.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:38 pm 
Huffs Nooch

How do you donate to their etsy? I crochet and would love to help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:55 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've done this quite a few times, and I always e-mail the pattern designer and ask. No one has ever said no.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks for the advice! I mentioned the stitch dictionary because I have seen scarves that uses a feather and fan pattern or different repeating cables. Those are pretty basic design elements so if I'm using someone's pattern that is essentially a repeat from a stitch dictionary is that an original design? Maybe I'm thinking about this too much. In any case, I will definitely ask before I use a specific pattern.

veganphilosopher: if you check their website, there is a section about donating to the etsy store and who to email. I sent an email last week and I haven't heard from them yet, so I'll just finish up my projects and email them again in a week.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:54 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Hi! I wanted to bring this thread back because I'm thinking of trying to crochet some things for charity and I was thinking maybe we could compile a list of good places to donate to?
A friend posted about Knots of Love on facebook and it seems good. they have a lot of patterns on their site to use. The only thing is that you have to use a yarn from their approved list. Lots (maybe all?) of them are vegan, but unfortunately not any yarns that i currently have a surplus of. https://www.knotsoflove.org/

I don't know if Out Hen House always wants donations because the latest thing I could find about it was from 2011.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:34 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Starr of Starrlight Jewelry, also the captain of the Vegan Etsy Team, is looking for cat themed handmade items to raise money for a local cat rescue. I am crocheting some cat toys to send to her. Here's a link to her Etsy shop if you'd like to contact her: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StarrlightJewelry

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:44 pm 

Also, knots of love sounds great but I have a million balls of Red Heart Super Saver yarn and that is apparently forbidden. Which I totally understand, it's not the softest of yarns.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:18 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

If you like making baby-stuff, consider making preemie hats and layettes for your local hospital. A hospital in my city takes hand-made donations for preemies. (Families seldom anticipate delivering preterm and tiny babies, so they usually don't have little clothes ready for them.)

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:34 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

we got stuff from the hospital when my girls were born, blankies and hats, and it was the most amazing, heartfelt gift.

when I left the US I had lots of yarn, so I went to Michael's and got a pattern to make squares- they apparently had bees where they sewed knit/crochet squares together. i knit up all my old yarn, dropped off the squares before i left, and it made blankets for somebody.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:27 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

dakini wrote:
Also, knots of love sounds great but I have a million balls of Red Heart Super Saver yarn and that is apparently forbidden. Which I totally understand, it's not the softest of yarns.

Yes, the yarn thing is a bummer because i have TONS of impeccable loops and threads michaels brand yarn and I can't use it, but Caron Simply Soft is nice and relatively cheap, so I'm starting to make a hat with that now.

I'm making this one: http://www.knotsoflove.org/wp-content/u ... By_Joy.pdf
My problem with hat patterns is that I think I crochet tighter than most people or tighter than I'm supposed to, and most patterns don't give measurements so you know if you're making it big enough. This one has measurements and it only uses one stitch. I'm going to add a flower to it, I think.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:57 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

If you want to make use of yarns like Red Heart acrylics/supersaver for charity, consider knitting warm hats, mitts and neck-warmers/scarves for a local homeless shelter or a Christmas charity.

Where I live, winters are brutally cold and very hard on our homeless and transient communities; shelters and soup kitchens and missions in our inner-city gladly welcome donations of new and gently used winter accessories. My uncle's wife knits for them throughout the year, and makes a trip to the city to bring and donate everything she's made.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:11 pm 

AlwaysHungry wrote:
If you want to make use of yarns like Red Heart acrylics/supersaver for charity, consider knitting warm hats, mitts and neck-warmers/scarves for a local homeless shelter or a Christmas charity.

Where I live, winters are brutally cold and very hard on our homeless and transient communities; shelters and soup kitchens and missions in our inner-city gladly welcome donations of new and gently used winter accessories. My uncle's wife knits for them throughout the year, and makes a trip to the city to bring and donate everything she's made.

That's a great idea. I live near Detroit and we have a large community of homeless people.