| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drafting a pattern?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ok, so I've borrowed a costume top from a friend. Problem is, this is already the 4th of 5th time this year that I've needed to borrow it and there's no stores around that sell anything similar. I also haven't found anything alike online.

So I kinda want to make a top like that for myself! But I don't want to take her top apart or anything. Any helpful pointers for keeping the top in 1 piece and making a pattern of this somehow?

Post subject: Re: Drafting a pattern?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:50 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Can you post a photo?

If it was something like a t-shirt, I'd tryto draw the outlines on a piece of paper and perhaps mirror/duplicate some parts?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:08 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Yes, a photo would help.
Basically you need to understand how each piece that makes the top is shaped, and usually you don't need to take the original apart (unless you want a super perfect result). Then you draw the shape on the pattern paper, try to stick it to yourself and get the right measurements, and then bring it onto fabric. Not the easiest thing, but there are also dressmakers that can do it if you bring them the top and ask them to copy it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:51 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

You could use the "New York knock off" method where you take a large piece of paper, draw a long long straight down the middle and place it over half of your garment. Then take tailors chalk or a China marker and rub on all the seams until you have a decent outline of each section of the garment. Then trace those outlines onto a new sheet of paper, add 1/2" - 5/8" seam allowance on all sides, fold in half and cut out so the pattern is mirrored open (you don't want a seam down the front or back).

Does that make sense?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thank you!

I took a picture with my phone but the gallery app is being a dick. Maybe I'll be able to upload it at home tonight. I took a good look at it and I think it consists of less parts than I thought at first. I thought it had more sections, but it's a bit difficult to tell with all the embellishments that are handsewn on. The back is open (closes with ties and hooks and eyes).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pics:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:27 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think you could draft the basic shape of that using a t-shirt, adding on some bits for the back closure. are there any darts in it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:20 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

hana wrote:
I think you could draft the basic shape of that using a t-shirt, adding on some bits for the back closure. are there any darts in it?

looks like there at least 2 darts on the red section.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:57 pm 
Tofu Pup

I agree with the few posts above. The process is a rub-off method. All you do is get a large piece of paper (or two large sheets of paper and tape the together) and just take one side of the font, place the paper on top of the part of the garment, rub a pencil around the pattern piece and any areas of interest (aka pockets). And voila! instant pattern! You will have to go around the border of the pattern piece with a ruler to clean up the lines and copy the pattern info, but you have the pattern piece!