| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does anyone have experience with photo books?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:09 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

This is kind of a cheesy idea, but I bought a groupon for Photobook Canada in order to make my partner a book for his birthday. He lost both of his parents last year, and I really think it'll be special to put together some of the amazing old photos his sister has loaned me to scan, because it's something his mum always wanted to do. The thing is, I have very limited photoshop skills, and I don't even have a copy on my computer, so I've been using iphoto to edit the scans. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience making a photo book with lowish resolution scans. Will it look okay? The software I downloaded to put the book together doesn't give much in the way of guidance. Any advice is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Does anyone have experience with photo books?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:46 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I've made photobooks before with snapfish and with iphoto, but they were with digital photos not scanned pictures. I know in iphoto it will give you a warning message saying the quality isn't great and might print blurry. Somebody that knows photoshop might have some tips on how to make them clearer, or know somebody that can enhance them for you for cheap. Oh and I don't think it's cheesy at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:02 pm 
Tortilla Rita's character account

I made a photo book for my parents on their anniversary a few months ago. I used scans of the family Polaroids. I got the warning message for anything that wasn't high enough resolution.

Don't think it's cheesy at all! Good luck!

blog | vegan blog | twitter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:17 pm 

Daria wrote:
I made a photo book for my parents on their anniversary a few months ago. I used scans of the family Polaroids. I got the warning message for anything that wasn't high enough resolution.

Don't think it's cheesy at all! Good luck!

Oh cool! Did it still look okay? I mean, I don't expect miracles. Old photos are old photos, right?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:20 pm 
Tortilla Rita's character account

I was a little disappointed with some of the pictures but as you say, old photos are old photos. My parents, on the other hand, loved it, so maybe I am overly picky :) If I could do it all over again I would find some kind of brush or something that would clean the dust particles off the pics; they weren't visible to my naked eye but I guess the scanner picked up every flaw.

blog | vegan blog | twitter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:53 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

hey vijita!
I'm made a ton of photo books on shutterfly. I really like them. I make them for gifts, and also as a memento when we take a big trip. Like Daria said, they will tell you if you are stretching the capacity of the resolution. It's a really cool idea.
:)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:44 pm 

ameyfm, oh yeah! You showed me one of your trip to China! Maybe that's when the idea formed, since I seem to love copying you. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:46 am 
Level 7 Vegan

ha ha! I should copy you and get a cute kitty to come visit me every day.
yeah I don't know much about the other services, but I've been really happy with Shutterfly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:09 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Do you know the dimensions of some of the images?... How many pixels are the length and width? If you divide the number of pixels by 300 you will have an idea of the biggest size you can use the image on the page. So if you have an image that is 900x1200 pixels, you could use it on the page at up to 3"x4". Technically, you could make it larger, but the image will blur the more you scale it.

I use Blurb. It provides a little warning icon when an image is scaled too large.

I did a 240 page book for my parents anniversary 2 years ago and scanned all the photos. Everyone in the family picked out their favorite photos from growing up and wrote little stories and anecdotes. It was a huge hit and everyone who has seen the book has said they are envious. Over the years there are so many pictures that got lost or damaged, or one person had the only print, so no one else knew it existed. It was great to see all of the most meaningful photos collected together in one place.

If you have access to Photoshop I can give you a couple tips.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:12 pm 

Thanks! I've actually already finished. It's a pretty small one--36 pages. Even that took me hours and hours. I'm nervous about how it is going to turn out, but I guess I'll find out soon enough!