| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cushion/pillow sewing question!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hi crafty ppkers!

i am redesigning my living area, and i want to make my living room a very comfy, cozy, relaxing space. i'm planning on lots of soft rugs, throws, and pillows. i'm skipping the couch entirely for now, and instead, i'm looking to acquire some "pouffes", as this website calls them. i'm thinking big cushions to sit/lean on.

example:
they look awesome and perfect, but they're all the way over in Nederlands, so i'm thinking about making some myself. i know the basics of sewing, but i've never made pillows, let alone a "pouf".

anyone have advice for starting out? suitable fabrics? a good place to find a pattern or how i could draft one myself? will it require a machine? i don't have one... yet! i'm also planning on making regular pillows to toss around for comfort in this area.. advice on making your typical living room pillow would also be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: cushion/pillow sewing question!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:29 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hey Bodhi, there are lots of online tutorials like the ones below. You could do it by hand, but it would be a lot of work. I would probably try to get my hands on a machine. I bet you can find patterns at the sewing shops too. Look for sturdy fabric, upholstery fabric is the best, but also more expensive. I would ask someone at the fabric shop to point you towards some good fabrics.
Do you live near Victoria? Not that I'm trying to talk you out of a project, but Homesense is opening a new store there in a few days and they often have these types of pillows.
http://www.livingwithpunks.com/2010/05/ ... floor.html
http://www.designsponge.com/2010/05/sew ... -pouf.html