| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Stitch n bisque Thread!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:01 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

What about making a travel pillow?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:47 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'd make boxer-style PJ bottoms, but that's what I make out of everything that I don't know what to do with.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:47 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lobsteriffic wrote:
I'd make boxer-style PJ bottoms, but that's what I make out of everything that I don't know what to do with.

I also think pj bottoms would be great! Or what about some kind of hooded pullover? A nice cozy sweatshirty thing would be great lounge wear in the winter!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:51 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i am taking all this under advisement. i don't think i have any clothes that are so funkalicious, so i may have to do that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:30 pm 
WRETCHED

Does anyone weave? I ordered a loom! (A rigid heddle loom)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh god. I just bought 9 balls of cotton/acrylic yarn at a nearby shop to attempt my first sweater. EEEEK! I've wanted to make a garment for so long, but I've been afraid. I'm done with hats and scarves. I want to make a fresh pair of mittens this year, which was fun last time I did it, but I really want to push myself to make a sweater.

I'm trying this one on Ravelry - it's a raglan so I can try it on as I go: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/brick-2

I'm really scared! I also have no idea what the pattern means at the very beginning, so that doesn't bode well. *gulp*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm really impressed with you guys making blankets. They are so BORING and they take forever, but I want them. We've bought a few cheap throws from IKEA in the last year, but the cats have taken them over. I'm afraid to knit a blanket since I know for sure Milton and Louie will destroy it. They go predator on any yarn they find in the house.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:54 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ooh that's a nice sweater. top-down is supposed to be the way to go, so i think you're on the right track. i've tried to make about 6 cardigans and always rip them up. now i finally made a vest i like and i like it so much i'm thinking of putting arms on it and using it as a cardigan, go figure.

the kid has just talked me into making a dress. i am sort of terrified, because i'm good at making aprons and laundry hampers and knit hats and carpentry projects, not fancy dress things. it's supposed to look kind of like this.

also, working on hat #3 (wurm!! i'm finally making the wurm hat from Ravelry, i've wanted to for years and just never got around to it), another homestuck scarf, and there's something else i can't remember. maybe a black hat for the kid.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:22 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i saw this and thought maybe someone else might get inspired. a few years ago Kittee's posts on using rag balls to make a cape (if i remember correctly) inspired me to start knitting and crocheting with rag strips (all rugs, in my case). i have never knit CABLES with rags but it will have to be my next experiment!!!
http://blog.a-common-thread.com/post/41 ... l_yLFCko0O

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:46 pm 
Naked Under Apron

torque wrote:
i saw this and thought maybe someone else might get inspired. a few years ago Kittee's posts on using rag balls to make a cape (if i remember correctly) inspired me to start knitting and crocheting with rag strips (all rugs, in my case). i have never knit CABLES with rags but it will have to be my next experiment!!!
http://blog.a-common-thread.com/post/41 ... l_yLFCko0O

that is so amazing!

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Okay guys, I started the sweater! I'm using a cheap cotton/acrylic yarn. It might not be the right yarn for the job, but we'll see. I casted on and am working flat right now, which suckkkks. I hate dealing with RS and WS and pearling. However, I'm getting close to being able to join it in the round and start working just with knit stitches.

The crazy part? I can see how the sweater is coming together already! I suppose that's the cool part about the raglan top-down method - I can actually see how the increases make the sleeves.

My big concerns right now:
1. I couldn't make gauge no matter how hard I tried. I had the right number of stitches per inch, but rows were off. The closest I could get was six stitches per row instead of seven.
2. The yarn is a bit stretchy. I don't know why this worries me, but it does.
3. I measured myself and I measured a raglan sweater that I wear that fits me well in order to decide on the medium size of the sweater. I'm worried it will be too big, but I'm hoping I can make it fit with the right increases/decreases/etc.

But, all of that aside, I am knitting a goddamn sweater, y'all!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:10 am 
Seagull of the PPK

well if the rows were off, and you're knitting top down, i think that the gauge would be not a huge problem as long as you're keeping track of the sweater as you go. when it's time for armholes and increase/decrease just pay attention and make adjustments (i.e. skip rows). note them on the pattern too in case you need to go back and rip out (or if you love it so much you want to make another).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That's what I was thinking, Torque! If the sweater hangs vertically I can just shorten or increase rows as I go. The pattern has a lot of options for body shaping, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I'm amazed how well it's going so far. Practice really does make this a lot easier! I tried to do something like this a few years ago, but I was so frustrated and confused by it. After a few more years of knitting here and there, I'm actually getting it now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:06 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm making my sister this big totoro for her birthday! I've made the blue and white totoros already, but this is the biggest stuffed animal I've ever made. I'm pretty excited!

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/2012/ ... toros.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:54 pm 
protein lump

i guess i never posted this...

michael's nephew is super into spiderman. his 6th birthday is a couple weeks.

ijdi, all of those totoros are so adorable!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:14 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

esme wrote:
i guess i never posted this...

michael's nephew is super into spiderman. his 6th birthday is a couple weeks.

ijdi, all of those totoros are so adorable!

OHMYGOD I NEED TO MAKE ONE OF THOSE! My friends are having a baby soon and they will loooooove this. What yarn did you use?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm pretty jealous of all of the amazing non-vegan yarn out there. Those of you making sweaters and other garments - are you just using plain old acrylic?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:16 am 
Seagull of the PPK

that spiderweb throw is sooooooooo awesome!!

pT, I usually just use acrylic, cheapola type, but i go by feel. some acrylic feels horrible, some feels silky. i found a brand of baby yarn at home that is silky and comes in nice (non-baby) colors, and i uh, spend a lot of time in the yarn shop feeling things....
when we came up here i spent a few hours in the US yarn shop feeling things and looked at bamboo and soy and microfiber, all these things we don't have at home. i bought a microfiber i like, but on the whole i don't think the acrylics are that bad. i also really, really like working in cotton but obvs for garments you have limitations with that (most of what i make are accessories, not full sweaters.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:27 am 
protein lump

choirqueer wrote:

OHMYGOD I NEED TO MAKE ONE OF THOSE! My friends are having a baby soon and they will loooooove this. What yarn did you use?

i used berroco comfort, which is my go-to yarn for basically everything.

here is the ravelry link for the pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library ... an-blanket

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:06 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

esme wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

i used berroco comfort, which is my go-to yarn for basically everything.

here is the ravelry link for the pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library ... an-blanket

Can you get that at chain craft stores and things or do you need to find it at a yarn shop? My mom has a Michael's Arts & Crafts near her and she offered to ship me some yarn, but I'm wondering if I just need to order it or if she can pick some things up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:06 pm 
protein lump

i've never seen it at a place like michael's or joann. i usually either have to order it or find a small yarn shop. but pretty much every yarn shop i've been in has had a wide range of their yarns.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:09 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

dang esme! that blanket is so awesome! you are so talented. every time you post your stuff, i'm in awe.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Even though I find them boring, I want to make a colorful granny square style blanket. I think the different color squares will keep me interested, though we'll see if I actually make it through the seaming part.

I want to make one similar to the Babette blanket: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/babette-blanket

However, I don't think I need to purchase the pattern. The squares look like basic DC squares. I think the pattern just gives color guidance so you can make that exact blanket, which I'm not going to do. My problem at the moment is I can't see to find as impel granny square pattern like the one used in the Babette. Anyone know a source for as impel square pattern like this one? I keep screwing it up after the first round!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I found a tutorial so I don't really need to buy the pattern. I'm doing something along these lines: http://gingerschatz.blogspot.nl/2011/09 ... nkets.html

However, I'm using aran weight cotton/acrylic blend yarn and I'm doing two DC instead of three. I really like the meditative nature of making granny squares...I just hope I can keep it up to make a blanket!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:25 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i hunted high and low but my patterns are back at home, sadly, and i thought i had uploaded some to dropbox but no luck. i did a nice granny square throw after being inspired by.....ijdi? it was such an awesome project. i used baby weight yarn and about 5 patterns of pretty complex squares (rosettes, starbursts) because i don't really like the way granny squares look with thicker yarn. but i used what i can only call "Target colors" (dark brown, deep purple, deep blue, neon green). it made about 200 squares and the joining was a bit of a pain but it was an awesome project. it's nice to whip off a square in 10 minutes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 45  Next