| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Stitch n bisque Thread!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:42 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Does anyone have any recommended patterns for learning cable knitting? Probably a scarf so I don't have to worry about increases and decreases.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:39 pm 
Tofu Pup

My first cables were on the "easy cable headband" pattern on Ravelry, I think I just used cheap acrylic yarn. But it does have a couple of increases and decreases. (kf&b, ssk) http://psammeadred.blogspot.com/2008/06 ... iends.html

Cables are pretty easy once you get the hang of them, it's basically just knitting the stitches out of order. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:46 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

torque wrote:
So, I love to knit but sometimes have some problems with complicated stitches. I taught myself to knit, and am a person who easily does things backwards and inside out, and also am a lefty, so I am used to watching tutorials and saying "what the fizzle" from the very start because nothing makes sense.
I was watching tutorials for a brioche cowl (yes, still haven't given up) and realized that left and right handed have nothing to do with it, and did a bit more clicking and lo and behold, I have found my people- I apparently knit "combined style"
http://www.anniemodesitt.com/knit.html . So this is why my YOs and my SSKs never "lean" the right way.
So now, learn to knit again? Hm.

I recently realized that I kind of did the combined thing as well (without knowing). What I did was to purl such that the left leg of the stitch would end up on the front of the knitting needle but did the knitting through the front loop. This resulted in all of the stitches being twisted because I changed orientation all the time.
I think for this way of knitting one has to pay a lot of attention to the orientation of the stitches to not end up with twists and stuff so I taught myself out of it quickly once I realized what was going on.

I think there is only one way where this works for me and that is knitting flat in stockinette stitch (knit the right side, purl the wrong side): if I do the purls 'in the wrong way' so that the left leg of the stitch ends up in the front and do all of the knit stitches through the back loop (which brings the right leg of the stitch into the front again WITHOUT twisting the stitch) this results in a very even look because usually my purled stitches are a little wider than the knit ones but when I do them the wrong way they matche the knit stitches perfectly.

This was a bit of a revelation to me so maybe it can be helpful to anyone else?

Also, I just started knitting last fall so I'm new to the thread. Loving it a lot and learning with every new project!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:55 am 

pastabake wrote:
Does anyone have any recommended patterns for learning cable knitting? Probably a scarf so I don't have to worry about increases and decreases.

This scarf was one of my first cabling projects:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hot-times

Another recent one I like a lot is a cowl that is knit in the round, maybe you prefer that?
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/triplicate
It is definitely a quick knit, too; finishable in a couple of hours.

It was a gift and I unfortunately gave it away before making a photo of the finished object. I used acrylic yarn and it was the first thing I steam-blocked and that made a huge difference in how the yarn felt and how the scarf draped. (don't squish the cable all flat, like I did, though...)

I used a provisional cast-on to get a completely seamless connection and that worked very well you just have to pay attention to where in the pattern you are.

I am only knitting for a few months but cables were one of the first things I tried out because I think they are so pretty. I was kind of floored when I realized how easy they are (only somewhat time-consuming).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:32 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I have to post in here that I'm really excited, my dad has been working on a drafting/cutting table for my sewing loft and we're going to finally install it on Saturday! My house is a bit small and my sewing loft has a pitched roof, making it even smaller, so the table is going to swing up on hinges and latch to the wall when not in use. When I need to cut or draft, I'll unlatch the table and fold it down over the staircase!

I have a bunch of projects that I've been lazing on because I am not motivated to spend hours hunched over on my hands and knees on the floor. Soon I'll be able to get them done!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:43 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

My dad hit some delays with the table and he was apologizing to me, I laughed and told him no worries. Not only is he making me a table, but he's friggin 70 and has health issues. He can get me that table when he damn well feels like it!

I came to post that I made a rash decision and bought a new 5-thread serger! It was one of the specials on Amazon and had great ratings, and at 66% off I couldn't really pass it up (normally $1300, I paid $436). It does twelve different types of stitches, including mock safety stitch (like the hem of a t-shirt). I am going to keep my current serger so I can have one machine that always serges and this new one will be for more fancy stitches. I'm so excited! I have been wanting a machine capable of mock safety stitch for several years, ever since I got more and more proficient in working with jersey.

Look at my precious, it arrives tomorrow:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That looks so awesome Erika! I really want to learn to sew!

I've been doing a lot of knitting lately, but I recently crocheted this for my mom and I just LOVED the yarn (Berroco Espresso)

Instagram: entropyandennui

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:01 pm 

That looks really nice! I havent tried crocheting yet, somehow the 'knotty' look isn't as attractive to me as knit fabric...I really want to try it out soon though.

But for today: I recently discovered TeCHknitting, a blog dedicated to explaining the finer hows and whys of all aspects of knitting. I think it is really well written and the knowledge is presented in a very accessible way, so I find it super informative and really like reading around when I have some time off. Maye some of you who like knitting don't know it yet and might be interested?

Link to the alphabetical topic index:
http://techknitter.blogspot.de/2010/04/ ... x-for.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm much more of a knitter who occasionally crochets than a true crocheter - it has to be the right pattern otherwise it looks too craftsy to me but overall I like being able to do both.

TechKnitting is a great resource!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:21 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I love the speed of crocheting, and it's much easier than lace knitting. That said I find knitting more soothing.

The Themysciran - my geek blog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:35 am 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I am officially a knitter! With lots of coaching and help from Kittee and Jordanpattern. Here's a top-down blouse with cabled raglan detail I finished last month:

Pic is all artsy cause it's from mah blawg.

I know this post is super old, but I was looking through the thread (so many awesome projects!!!) and really, really loved this one. And I stalked your blog to find the link to the free ravelry pattern... this is now definitely on my to-knit-soon-list!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:35 am 

edit: whoops, double post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:35 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Lily wrote:
That looks really nice! I havent tried crocheting yet, somehow the 'knotty' look isn't as attractive to me as knit fabric...I really want to try it out soon though.

But for today: I recently discovered TeCHknitting, a blog dedicated to explaining the finer hows and whys of all aspects of knitting. I think it is really well written and the knowledge is presented in a very accessible way, so I find it super informative and really like reading around when I have some time off. Maye some of you who like knitting don't know it yet and might be interested?

Link to the alphabetical topic index:
http://techknitter.blogspot.de/2010/04/ ... x-for.html

I love TeCHknitting! I have learned a lot about knitting from this blog.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/KnitsByNatDesigns

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:27 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I took up crocheting again after a few years! Just kinda goofed with it last night, realized how simple it was to make flowers, decided I want to do a light weight afghan made out of flowers. I also want to make a twin size blanket for my bed out of granny squares. It's so hard to decide what to do first. What I really want to do is buy even more yarn. I'm loving the feel of red heart super soft.

Also don't forget to check your moles nightly to make sure they aren't devil's teats. - Erika Soyf*cker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:19 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Here is the start of my afghan. I'm using red heart soft acrylic and some sample acrylic I want to use up. I started it with a magic loop and am just going around with flower petal designs until it's big. That's the plan. I'm not being neat with the colors; I'm just letting them stop and start where they may. This is partly out of sheer laziness, thriftiness, and because I think it might be cute.

Also don't forget to check your moles nightly to make sure they aren't devil's teats. - Erika Soyf*cker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:44 am 

I think it's really awesome to go for a free-form approch and to just go with the flow!

When I grow up and become a proper crafter, I'll maybe try that out as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:37 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

any recommendations on what to crochet with 2 balls of Red Heart Landscape? it's so cool, but I have no idea what to do with it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:02 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

PRETTTTYY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ijdi, i took a quick look on Ravelry for this yarn and then filtered by crochet. I'm seeing a lot of beautiful shawls, infinity scarves, and blankets. So pretty!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:38 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Lily wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Pic is all artsy cause it's from mah blawg.

I know this post is super old, but I was looking through the thread (so many awesome projects!!!) and really, really loved this one. And I stalked your blog to find the link to the free ravelry pattern... this is now definitely on my to-knit-soon-list!

thank you! I'm actually finally wearing this today. I am going to have to take out the short rows at the bottom, they are just too long. I tend to knit super long because I have a longer torso and add up to 2" in length to commercial sewing patterns, but I really over-did it with this one!

I love this pattern, too, I really need to make another one sometime soon!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:26 pm 

Nicole wrote:
ijdi, i took a quick look on Ravelry for this yarn and then filtered by crochet. I'm seeing a lot of beautiful shawls, infinity scarves, and blankets. So pretty!

Oh thanks!! I forgot you could search by yarn!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:03 pm 

well, i was looking for what to do with that yarn, but then I found this pattern! this is so cool.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lizard-6

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:36 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

ijustdiedinside wrote:
well, i was looking for what to do with that yarn, but then I found this pattern! this is so cool.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lizard-6

Soooooo pretty.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:02 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I'm doing my first Me Made May on IG this year, anyone else participating? I'm @peppeplarson

Here's my first entry, which is the skirt I spent several lovely hours in my lovely craft loft (which is slowly coming together) sewing yesterday. The pattern is a vintage 1970s Butterick (#4449) I borrowed and traced from Kittee, and the fabric is this gawjuss Japanese cotton print I've been sitting on for a good 5 years. (Confession: I recut the right front panel because I didn't match the CF seam perfectly- but I did get the center back on the first try!)

It's pinned in this photo but I did complete the hem last night and am wearing the skirt today!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Beautiful, Erika! Perfectly matched seams make me so happy in a garment.
I'm gonna go follow you on Instagram now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next