| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Stitch n bisque Thread!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I realized my Doctor Who scarf probably wouldn't be done before winter was up, so I knitted a floofy scarf on big needles:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:07 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Cute! It is a great color. What kind of yarn did you use?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:12 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Sra. Nooch wrote:
Cute! It is a great color. What kind of yarn did you use?

Just cheap super bulky acrylic, Michael's Loops and Thread brand. One of these days I'll be able to afford dropping cash on decent yarn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

hoveringdog wrote:
Just cheap super bulky acrylic, Michael's Loops and Thread brand. One of these days I'll be able to afford dropping cash on decent yarn.

Ha. You can hear me say the exact same thing practically every day.
Nice scarf. Well done! (I'm still hoping for those Dr Who scarf pics, though! One day...)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 am 
She's No Isa Chandra!

I'm really impressed with all your projects!

...I can only knit scarfs, and things of the rectangular variety.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:27 pm 
Thinks Stonewall's jerquee tastes GREAT!

hoveringdog wrote:
I realized my Doctor Who scarf probably wouldn't be done before winter was up, so I knitted a floofy scarf on big needles:

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5660/scurf.jpg

Totally off topic, but H-Dog, you are so cute! Especially bundled up in that self-made scarf.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:40 pm 
Chard Martyr

Everything wrote:
hoveringdog wrote:

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5660/scurf.jpg

Totally off topic, but H-Dog, you are so cute! Especially bundled up in that self-made scarf.

You'd be on topic if you were here: http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4410

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:19 pm 
Human Gravy

Could anyone give me some yarn advice?

I really want to knit this skirt: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEdf10/PATTcarnaby.php

I have never knitted a skirt before and when I went to the yarn store today, the woman working basically told me that it wouldn't work unless I used wool, because cotton stretches and acrylic will make me sweaty and uncomfortable (she proceeded to tell me all about ethical wool manufacturers). I have knit acrylic sweaters and scarfs, so am not really sold on the whole acrylic being too sweaty thing, but do any of you have a suggestion for a good worsted weight yarn for a skirt? I would like to use something a bit nicer than red heart, but not super expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Allison, not Alison wrote:

I really want to knit this skirt: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEdf10/PATTcarnaby.php

I have never knitted a skirt before and when I went to the yarn store today, the woman working basically told me that it wouldn't work unless I used wool, because cotton stretches and acrylic will make me sweaty and uncomfortable (she proceeded to tell me all about ethical wool manufacturers). I have knit acrylic sweaters and scarfs, so am not really sold on the whole acrylic being too sweaty thing, but do any of you have a suggestion for a good worsted weight yarn for a skirt? I would like to use something a bit nicer than red heart, but not super expensive.

that sure is cute! i agree that cotton will stretch out, but i don't see why acrylic wouldn't work or a cotton acrylic mix. hopefully veganknitting will get on here, she knows a ton about vegan yarn. you might even go bonk on her blog...
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:32 pm 
protein lump

berroco comfort is an acrylic/nylon blend. that is what i would use for that skirt. actually, that's what i will use for that skirt. it's in my ravelry queue. it's super cute!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:02 pm 
Human Gravy

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about using berroco comfort. I haven't worked with it before, but I was looking at some of the other berroco yarns at the shop today and they seemed pretty nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:17 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I think acrylic would be fine!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:43 pm 
Saggy Butt

kittee wrote:

that sure is cute! i agree that cotton will stretch out, but i don't see why acrylic wouldn't work or a cotton acrylic mix. hopefully veganknitting will get on here, she knows a ton about vegan yarn. you might even go bonk on her blog...
xo
kittee

Did someone call my former username? :)

I agree - why would you worry about a skirt making you sweat, esp. a swingy skirt like that? I'd definitely go with something at least 50% acrylic. I think Berocco comfort would work well. And it's inexpensive and comes in so many colors!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:02 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Little My wrote:
kittee wrote:

xo
kittee

Did someone call my former username? :)

I agree - why would you worry about a skirt making you sweat, esp. a swingy skirt like that? I'd definitely go with something at least 50% acrylic. I think Berocco comfort would work well. And it's inexpensive and comes in so many colors!

Oh, hi! And a character from Moomins too! <3

Allison, listen to kittee and Little My, they are wise.
I'd use a cotton/acrylic mix too, especially for a swingy skirt (as opposed to "clingy" - depending on the pattern you could end up with that if you use pure cotton). But don't worry too much: Last summer I knitted myself a 100% cotton dress, and even though it's a bit tight around the bum, I realized I like it a lot (even though I'd make some teeny alterations in width if I wanted to make another one). I think with the right measurements you should be fine. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:22 am 
Human Gravy

Thanks guys! I knew someone on here would have the answer. I knew it couldn't be wool or nothin'.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Still chasing deadlines for uni - but anyway, I'm making those legwarmers...
(I'm actually quite a bit further along, I just don't have a more recent pic.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:17 am 
protein lump

your post inspired me and i started the skirt last night! so far it looks like a ruler, but so far, so good! i'm making it in a really neutral green (sort of olive-y/army green).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:44 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i just made this hat for my friend's soon to be born baby! i hope it fits at some point. i've never made a hat before, so i really hope it doesn't fall apart. making the pompom was super fun!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

IJDI I love you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:36 pm 
protein lump

hooray for baby jayne hats! aren't they fun? (they grow out of them really quickly. it's sad)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:52 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I am so making this. I am going to get my first knitting supplies tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:10 pm 

esme wrote:
hooray for baby jayne hats! aren't they fun? (they grow out of them really quickly. it's sad)

yeah, that is pretty depressing! but maybe they will pass it on to another nerdy baby.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:22 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

it's such a cute hat, idji! at least the little ones don't take too long to make. it's so hard making hats for heads that aren't out and about yet. i've been trying to make a hat for my own soon to be born belly dweller, and every one i make i go back and forth between thinking it's way too huge and thinking it isn't big enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:59 pm 

ismloveyoubobbybrown wrote:
it's such a cute hat, idji! at least the little ones don't take too long to make. it's so hard making hats for heads that aren't out and about yet. i've been trying to make a hat for my own soon to be born belly dweller, and every one i make i go back and forth between thinking it's way too huge and thinking it isn't big enough.

i started this one over 5 times! i looked up baby head sizes, so hopefully this will fit at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:51 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I finished these mitts a little while ago. I loveeee them. The pattern is Fetching from Knitty

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 47  Next