| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 50  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Stitch n bisque Thread!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:46 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the Sejia baby blanket from Happy Hooker for my first big project. It's pretty easy and really cute.

I also really liked making Hannah's Birds of a Feather for an easy crocheting in the round project: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library ... -a-feather

(Beware though - my kitties loved it and now he's missing his beak and looks a little rumpled!)

There's lots of cute Amigurumi patterns on Ravelry. When I was first learning, I did a lot of dishcloths and kitchen towel type stuff, just to learn different stitches and how they should look.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:23 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Thanks, Maygles! I already have the basics down and I've made a lot of amigurumi and a few other things in the round as well some random flat squares and sort of lacey things to try out different stitches, so I wanted to get some help with some stuff that's a little more complicated. Those birds are super cute!

That baby blanket from the happy hooker is really cute! I made a baby Jayne Cobb hat based on the sejia hat. Here's a couple things I've made: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ijustdiedinside

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

AMIGURUMI TOTORO AAAAAH SO CUTE!

Also I friended you on Rav, hope that's ok. :3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:05 pm 

yeah! i should start using Ravelry more.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:28 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Phoenix wrote:
That's so cute!!

thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:40 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ijustdiedinside wrote:
yeah! i should start using Ravelry more.

that's what i keep saying and then neglecting ravelry for another year......

this hat
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/noodle-baby-hat
is my go-to baby hat, it's easy and quick and there are several PPK babbies using it.

i think i need to add some baby birdies to my list, those birds are cute!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:29 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ijdi, check out crafty minx's A Granny A Day blog for granny square inspiration:

http://craftyminx.typepad.com/a_granny_ ... quare.html

Her colour choices are gorgeous!

I am making a sudoku blanket at the moment for the chair in our window to protect it from the sun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That's awesome Nebraskalaska!

I found the magazine! Pfew.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:01 pm 

hana wrote:
ijdi, check out crafty minx's A Granny A Day blog for granny square inspiration:

http://craftyminx.typepad.com/a_granny_ ... quare.html

Her colour choices are gorgeous!

I am making a sudoku blanket at the moment for the chair in our window to protect it from the sun.

OOH! those are gorgeous! thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:54 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

oh man, i agree craftyminx uses the best colors. i've faved a few of her squares on flickr. different square motifs are a great way to learn new stitches, and if you do them all about the same size you can make a nice sampler blanket. and, all i have to say about making a blanket of motifs you have to attach after the fact is SEW THE ENDS IN AS YOU GO. holy crepe is it tedious if you don't (totally putting off finishing a granny square blanket because of it). other than sewing in the ends, i really like working on blankets. they are a nice long term project you can leave and come back to between smaller projects.

i don't have any specific pattern suggestions, but ravelry is a great place to get inspiration. sometimes i just go to the patterns page and look through all the popular patterns. one of the more challenging but really not crazy difficult patterns i've used was for mittens (so it doesn't seem super useful now). there were a lot of front and back post stitches and several different cable patterns. plus, they were hella cute.

(p.s. i friend you on rav, too. not enough ppkrocheters!)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:35 pm 

I'm in love with this square! http://craftyminx.typepad.com/a_granny_ ... teria.html

I wish the amazon page had it on preview!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:32 am 

just looking at the picture, i'm going to say, start with a magic loop or whatever kind of circle you like to start a round in. chain 3 (as your first dc), then dc, ch 1, 2 dc, ch 2 (or 3, can't tell but i'd start with 2 and see how it looks), 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc, ch 2... you know, until you have four sides like a granny square. ch 3 if you you're using the same color, otherwise just dc the new color to start the next row. it's hard to tell because of how they are smooshed, but it looks like you dc 3, ch 2, dc 3 in all the corner spaces, ch 1, dc 3 in the next space, ch 1, do the corner space, and repeat. does any of this make sense? i don't think i'm super good at explaining patterns, but this one is simple enough and the picture clear enough that i could keep trying if you want.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:25 am 

Hey, thank you! I'm not awesome at reading patterns, but I do kind of get what you're saying when I look at the picture. I will try out the first couple rows of it and see if I can get it to look anything like the picture!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I'm in love with this square! http://craftyminx.typepad.com/a_granny_ ... teria.html

I wish the amazon page had it on preview!

I love this square too, it's really modern looking whilst still being nice and traditional. I also like the lacy victorian style ones. The yarn she uses looks awesome too.

I finished a wee pig amigurumi this week! I had all the bits crocheted and needed to sew them together. The pattern is from Tamie Snow's Tiny Yarn Animals.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:53 pm 

omg, piggy!! so cute!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:22 pm 

I found the pattern on amazon look inside for the book! It's from 200 Crochet Blocks by Jan Eaton. I thought I had seen it there last night, but then I looked again and it was gone, but apparently Amazon only lets you see it once or something because I used a different computer and found it and did a print screen to get it. Aaaaanyway, i'm retyping it because the preview of the page I printed came out tiny and sort of unreadable, so if anyone wants this pattern let me know and I'll PM it to you after I type it. Although there are a few random words missing because they are in a light grey in the book!

ilybb, there are a lot of cluster stitches in the pattern, which I've never done before. It says that cl is made from 3 tr sts, so I guess that's just a shorter way of telling you to make three triple crochets?

I'll probably end up buying this book because there are a lot of really cool patterns in here that don't look super 70s grandmother.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:36 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
ilybb, there are a lot of cluster stitches in the pattern, which I've never done before. It says that cl is made from 3 tr sts, so I guess that's just a shorter way of telling you to make three triple crochets?

I'll probably end up buying this book because there are a lot of really cool patterns in here that don't look super 70s grandmother.

The book was published in the UK, and they have different stitch names. So, tr stands for treble, which is actually a US double. Here's a conversion chart, http://www.yarnforward.com/crochet.html. It might seem confusing, but I think you'll pick it up pretty fast. You're right that the cluster thing is them just finding a fast way to say, "make 3 stitches."

That book actually looks really awesome. I have a different granny square book, and I don't find most of the motifs that practical to make an entire blanket out of. I'm gonna put this one on my list.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:40 pm 

ohhh! really tr is double! thanks so much! I guess I just would have had a bigger, lacier square. that wouldn't have been so awful, but I'm glad I know!

and a single crochet is called a double crochet?! this is madness.

eta: that makes sense that tr is double in here because it says to chain 3 before starting a tr and 3ch is usually for a double crochet, I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

hana wrote:
I finished a wee pig amigurumi this week! I had all the bits crocheted and needed to sew them together. The pattern is from Tamie Snow's Tiny Yarn Animals.

Adorbs!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:09 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
eta: that makes sense that tr is double in here because it says to chain 3 before starting a tr and 3ch is usually for a double crochet, I think.

that's right. you'd definitely want to ch 4 for a triple. well, yay, i'm so happy i could be of help!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:32 pm 

Thanks for all your help! I made a few mistakes in the pattern, so it came out a little bit not square, but I got the hang of it after a few rounds, so I think it will be a good one for me to start making an afghan out of.
square by ijustdiedinhere, on Flickr

Have you guys used "I love this yarn" yarn? That's what crafty minx uses and it looks awesome. I usually use vanna's choice and I'm wondering how it compares. they're about the same price.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Cute square!! Love the colors!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:41 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yes, very cute. Well done!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:30 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

that's really nice ijdi!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:24 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I am planning to make this stole for my mom for her birthday: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library ... -awakening

Here's a pic of the color I want to do it in. I'm going to try out tencel. Anyone ever used it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 50  Next