| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY Vegan Weddings
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:30 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi all! I am thinking about self-catering my vegan wedding. Any great ideas or experiences with this? Any great recipes that would easily be expanded to feed 140? Simple is the name of the game. It is at a campground, we are doing all of our own flowers, and my dress is from a maker on etsy if that tells you anything! Thanks!

Post subject: Re: DIY Vegan Weddings
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:12 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

You are self-catering a 140 person wedding?! Oh gosh, hats off to you! My advice is to rally lots and lots of helpers from your friends/guests! If you want something to suit the campground feel, you could do barbecue stations. Corn, homemade (days before) or purchased vegan sausages/burgers, grilled fruits, lots of condiments and sauces, fry-bread, salads, etc. S'mores for dessert!

Good luck and report back!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:34 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My mum's friend had a potluck (kind of) at her wedding reception. She assigned different categories of food to different friends, so for instance my mum had to bring two types of salad or something like that. I heard it went very well, and something you should consider if your friends/relatives like making food. It also helps people feel involved, and if you know people are strapped for cash you could suggest that is their gift to you (unless you have loads of stuff on a registry that you really want).

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:29 am 
Chip Strong

Congratulations!

Retro picnic/summer church basement/pool party food could work. I'm thinking, triangle sandwiches with the crusts cut off, deviled eggs (veganized with little potatoes) potato salad, been salad - all can be made the day before, with help. You'd just just need to keep things cold. But it would all be food familiar to your omni guests.

ETA ,vegan sausage rolls, served cold with tooth picks, large bowls of chips/crisps , so unpretentious, but food everyone likes.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:36 am 
Chip Strong

Does the campground have electrical outlets? I'm just thinking of coffee urns and things like that.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:40 am 

jean wrote:
large bowls of chips/crisps , so unpretentious, but food everyone likes.

I had a chip buffet at my wedding in between the ceremony and dinner and it was AWESOME! And so popular.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I catered my own wedding but we only had 40 people. There's another diy wedding thread floating around where I talked about it. My wedding was at a picnic ground. If you have a grill, veggie kabobs are a great way to easily feed a bunch of people! People also really liked our pasta puttanesca, and it was super easy to prepare in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:39 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Do you have access to an industrial kitchen/professional kitchen? You're gonna need some HUGE pots and pans and a big oven and a gigantic fridge to store food. Have you ever cooked for 50+ people before? It's very different from cooking for smaller groups of people.
My basic rules for cooking for 50+ people are:
-Make a lot of different dishes, if something goes wrong you have a lot of other dishes, so you won't be missing anything.
-Stay away from things that are made as single servings - it's easier to make a huge batch of bean salad, chili, soup etc., than it is to make lentil burgers, unless you have a lot of time to spend on that.
-If you're not a professional, stay away from cooking big batches of pasta. Just trust me. Pasta is not supposed to be cooked in huge batches. You can definitely cook up to 10 lbs at a time, but more than that is basically impossible.

If I was to cater a big wedding I would probably make it buffet style, both because it is laid back but also because people get to take whatever they want, so everyone's happy. I imagine huge serving bowls and serving plates with delicious and colorful foods!

My suggestions for the menu:
-One or two different soups, if you can get a big electrical pot.
-Lots of bread. You can definitely make big batches of dough and just let it rise in the fridge overnight. Bake on the day of the wedding. Nothing is worse than day old bread. Alternately you can ask a local bakery if they can make a bunch of baguettes or something like that.
-This hummus.
-Muhammara!
-Vegetable crudités.
-Puff pastry pizzas or simple pizzas made with a very thin dough (to be served cold).
-Fig and nut cheeese pizzas.
-Grilled veggies - you can make a delicious mix of aubergines, zucchinis, red peppers etc. Just mix it up with a bunch of olive oil, salt and pepper and sprinkle with parsley when serving.
-Baked onions with balsamic vinegar.
-Frittata. This can definitely be served cold!
-Pasta salad with roasted cauliflower, roasted zucchini, roasted tomatoes, pine nuts and garlicky vinaigrette.
-Roasted potato wedges! I love making them with olive oil, lots of freshly cracked pepper, salt, garlic and plenty of lemon zest, lemon juice, rosemary and thyme.
-Lentil salads!
-Tabbouleh with tons of chopped fresh parsley, chopped fresh mint and lemon juice.
-If you can get a good neutral soy yogurt, vegan tzaziki is really delicious. I like making mine with dill!
-Lots of different salads. Make some salads with distinct taste profiles and make big batches of delicious vinaigrettes and dressings for the salads.
-Roasted broccoli.
-Roasted carrots.
-Some sort of bruschetta. I'd probably make one with tomatoes, one with a homemade pesto and one just brushed with garlic infused olive oil.
-A bunch of different patés: mushroom paté, lentil paté, faux gras, sunflower herb paté etc.
-Foccacia with black olives and herb oil.
-Baked ratatouille.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:41 pm 
Tofu Pup

wow,i am also planing my DIYwedding.and my guests are more 10 than you,so I decide as more as possible food materials for them to have a BBQ.
About my wedding dress,i want to order it at a online store..I am confused about which one i should choose..

http://gardeniasite.com/mermaid-trumpet ... 16888.html
OR
http://www.bhldn.com/shop-the-bride-wed ... d7aaca5f10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:02 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I would to tacos, big crockpots of refried beans, tortillas and then just tons of cold toppings salsas, lettuce, tomatoes, maybe whole avocados that people could cut open themselves so you don't have browning issues, tortilla chips, maybe a big crockpot of queso, soy curls or tvp crumbles cooked with taco seasoning, limes, cilantro and then on the side a spicy fruit salad with jicama and maybe a spinach salad. Or premade tamales, you could make a ton of them weeks before (have like 5 people help out) and freeze them and they can be warmed back up in a crockpot too.

I helped my Bff with her camping wedding and I recommend to not do a cake. It was hard to transport and keep cool and then we had to have a table and fork and plates and stuff. I would do s'mores.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:35 am 

LazySmurf wrote:
I would to tacos, big crockpots of refried beans, tortillas and then just tons of cold toppings salsas, lettuce, tomatoes, maybe whole avocados that people could cut open themselves so you don't have browning issues, tortilla chips, maybe a big crockpot of queso, soy curls or tvp crumbles cooked with taco seasoning, limes, cilantro and then on the side a spicy fruit salad with jicama and maybe a spinach salad. Or premade tamales, you could make a ton of them weeks before (have like 5 people help out) and freeze them and they can be warmed back up in a crockpot too.

I want to go to a Smurfy wedding!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

dropscone wrote:
My mum's friend had a potluck (kind of) at her wedding reception. She assigned different categories of food to different friends, so for instance my mum had to bring two types of salad or something like that. I heard it went very well, and something you should consider if your friends/relatives like making food. It also helps people feel involved, and if you know people are strapped for cash you could suggest that is their gift to you (unless you have loads of stuff on a registry that you really want).

We did this! It was a small wedding, so we didn't bother assigning food categories--- just provided a few basic dishes, and the guests brought the rest as their gifts.

Our wedding was almost as small and simple as they come, but I was still so stressed I had trouble thinking about anything seriously. Delegate and outsource all the responsibilities you can!