| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help Me With My House
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:56 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

So, D and I have rented a little bungalow and moved out of our giant apartment. The idea is to save some money to buy our own place (quite likely a similar thing in a similar area to what we're currently renting). We're mostly moved in (still a few boxes around, but otherwise pretty good). I'm having trouble getting the place set up the way I want. I'll most likely have to buy some furniture, but I don't even really know what I'd want or need right now because I have no idea how to set up the front room and dining area. I'd like to avoid doing stuff like painting, if possible, because we'll only benefit from it for a relatively short time. Here are my issues and would love advice or ideas on any or all of them:

1. The living area is an awkward size, where it's too big to just put things against the walls and too small for me to see a good way to divide it without obstructing the path from the front door to the bedroom and the dining/kitchen.

2. There's no overhead light in the living area, and thanks to a overhang above the porch and the direction of the windows in thee, it's a bit dark.

3. The dining area is cramped. I love the dining table I have, but it doesn't quite work in the dining area.

4. The walls are bare. I have two small pieces I can hang, but want to have some things on the walls.

From the front door:

Looking at front door from in front of dining table:

Looking at the couch wall:

Looking at the wall opposite the couch:

Better look at the cramped dining area:
Image[/quote]

Post subject: Re: Help Me With My House
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:28 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

It looks nice! What I would do is move the dining table in the area where the red chair and lamp are, and put a sideboard or tall shelf in the dining area. Not sure where the chair and lamp could go though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:28 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Two suggestions for the living area: I would try moving the couch and chair away from the wall just a bit so everything doesn't seem so far apart. You could stick some sort of really narrow table that's roughly the same length/height as the back of the couch (IKEA?) behind the couch and put some decorations on it, or lean art in frames against the wall. The two lamps can flank the table. A big area rug would look nice as well.

Does the room have a focal point? I don't see a TV, so you may try turning the couch at a diagnol and adding a low-profile but comfy chair to that same area. It could open things up a lot and make your space feel more suitable for conversation and activity.

The table is too big for the dining area, but if you're particularly attached to it you could move it against the wall and just have two chairs for you to both use, and keep the other two somewhere else for when you have guests.

Looks cute! The place is nice and has good bones, which takes care of so much of the decorating for you!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:47 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Needs cats!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:23 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks, guys! I'm toying with the idea of trying to divide things up in the living area by creating two distinct groups of furniture (couch + coffee table + chair & ...?) I'm also definitely going to have to get stuff away from the walls. It's just tricky because the doors are in places where I'd want to put stuff, so that limits my options somewhat.

That's what's preventing me from pushing the dining table up against a wall - there's no spot to do that where it wouldn't be blocking either a door or up against the built in cabinets.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:19 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm not super good at figuring out what connects where from pictures but I've lived in the Bay Area for 20 years at this point, which means sometimes - like my last three places - my dishes wind up in the built ins in the living room and the living room winds up being a dining room. I feel like you lived here too for a while, is that right? So this probably won't sound crazy to you.

I'd make the dining area a library/music area, moving the table & chairs to the room with the couch (maybe even where the sound system is?) and move the bookshelves/sound system into the room where the table & chairs are if that wouldn't interfere with your listening ability. You can use the couch as a kind of divider (here's where you sit & read, here's where you eat) and don't be afraid of angling the couch to break up space or make pathways more reasonable! It sounds like you're already thinking about breaking stuff up kind of along those lines.

Furniture not touching walks is totally doable especially if you don't mind funny angles. I once lived somewhere where anything on the walls would block doorways/exits/staircase to the bedroom/pathways through the main room/basically everything. So we arranged the room entirely on the diagonal and it worked great!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:08 pm 
Chard Martyr

I am pitiful with home organization/decorating, but I just want to say that I love your cramped dining area! It's so cute. The whole place looks pretty neat.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:25 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

madeleine.teacup wrote:

I'd make the dining area a library/music area, moving the table & chairs to the room with the couch (maybe even where the sound system is?) and move the bookshelves/sound system into the room where the table & chairs are if that wouldn't interfere with your listening ability. You can use the couch as a kind of divider (here's where you sit & read, here's where you eat) and don't be afraid of angling the couch to break up space or make pathways more reasonable! It sounds like you're already thinking about breaking stuff up kind of along those lines.

Yes, this. Our couch is actually in our dining room up against one wall, because with the giant tv the previous owners left that we can't move, and the double recliner that we both love because we're old, it wouldn't fit. It was either touching the tv on one side and I hated it, or we would've had to put it up against the windows, which open on the bottom so we couldn't reach them. Our dining table is just a fold out that we used at Christmas and didn't put back in the basement, so we just moved that up against the other wall.

We've only painted a bathroom here because painting sucks, I really hate our family room because it's pea soup green on the bottom and light green on the top, so I just add colorful throws everywhere. I find some great crocheted blankets at church sales for a couple of bucks and I feel like i'm ripping them off.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:23 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Alternative: dining table where the couch is, and the couch under the window with the chair at an angle next to the door to the bedroom (where the box is). Show us pics when you're done!