| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cruelty Free Mouse Control
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:39 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

We put some of those peanut butter ant traps under our sink, and this morning there was some mouse poops around it! ARGH! No evidence of an infestation (we've scoured the space + the basement) but chances are in an old house like this, there's lots of little sneaky places they could come in if they smell peanut butter. Both Trevor and I are (obviously) not doing anything harmful to the silly mousies, and are wondering what has worked for you as a mouse deterrent. I read peppermint oil soaked cotton balls are good because they hate peppermint. I also have a ton of peppermint Bronners and I'm wondering if I can use that somehow.

Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free Mouse Control
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:20 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I've had them in the past when a new housing development went up across the street. Specifically we had deer mice. The only thing that worked for me was plugging the corners of the house where the siding meets with steel wool (up under the siding right in the corner). I have no idea how much of a deterrent my two cats were/are and then I used a live trap called "the tin cat" baited with peanut butter. Any mice you catch you need to let go at least a half mile away or across water to prevent them coming back. I do believe my cats helped (maybe it was just the odor of cats that kept them away - works well as long as the rodent doesn't have a toxoplasmosis infection) but I suspect it was quite a bit since my neighbors with cats also didn't have much trouble either, but some of the ones with dogs or no pets ended up hiring exterminators.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

Make sure all food is locked away so they have no reason to come in. Block up any holes that they might be using to come in through. Catch them in humane traps and release them far away. I used to spray my house with peppermint oil but I have no idea if it was effective. The mice did go away eventually though... Been mouse-free for a while now.

Edit: My mice were so adorable, it almost made me feel guilty trying to get rid of them! But they are pretty annoying and unhygienic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:55 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Thanks, guys! Haven't seen any mouse poops since we took away the peanut butter ant trap. Maybe gonna put some peppermint oil cotton balls in the space I saw the poop to ensure they don't want to come back.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:06 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

if they do come back you can get no-kill mouse traps and catch+release them. My neighbor is a hoarder so I sometimes get mouse spillover. I haven't found that peppermint oils really does all that much but I still put it around everywhere out of habit (it was my mom's anti-pest tactic)
anyway the no-kill traps are a good way to deal with it, just check 'em regularly and take them at least a mile away!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://emmelinesolomon.tumblr.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Just a note about the humane traps - you really should check these multiple times a day. The mice do get scared, stressed and dehydrated in these, and releasing them can be stressful to them too, so just make sure you read up on how to do it properly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:38 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We use a humane mouse trap - the Tin Cat - http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... pla_963426

We check it every morning when it's in use and I drive the mice away to a church with a bunch of woods behind it. They are so cute and I could never kill them!!