| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: my rain diverter is leaky. i have an idea, but need advice.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:30 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

ok, so i JUST (finally) installed the fiskars diverter pro rain diverter (image below) it's a good concept, but it's not thoroughly thought out. the catching insert is shaped like a triangle, but the outlet hole is circular. that means during a light rainstorm, the water gets sent to the bottom of the triangle and leaks between the insert and the back wall of the diverter before it gets a chance to reach the outlet hole.

i want to mold a bit of something to seal the bottom of the triangle and give light rains a fighting chance.

or is this the point? is it making light rains go by because they're more likely to have contaminants? i don't know how heavily it was raining overnight. (a bucket somewhat nearish the house got what looks like 1", whereas the barrel got maybe 1/2" (...from that whole quadrant of the roof. that's no good if an open bucket was able to get more water than the barrel.) i realised this morning that the downspout needs to be shifted to the side of the column and not the front. it was angling back weirdly because of the lip of the top of the column, and so most of the overnight rain was dripping toward the front of the catchment and splashing forward and out. i've since unscrewed it from the column and straightened it out to be 2-3 inches away from the wall. here's hoping the rain stays in next time.

i still think i would want to catch light rains though. :-/

i was initially thinking sculpey or fimo, but they'd probably break down with the moisture.
then i thought maybe some squirty silicone in the tube. (i just have to put some plastic down to make it not stick to the insides of the diverter while drying, right? and fold it back over the top it so i can press it into a curve to match the outlets, then after it cures, i can pull it out, remove the plastic and then fit it back in??)
if not, would silicone ear plugs be okay? or would they remain sticky and get gross real quick? i suppose it'd take quite a few packages of those though. i could use a section of plastic tubing and earplugs, but i imagine they might separate and wash out during a heavy rainstorm.

Spoiler: show

only thing... i've never really worked with silicone from the tube before. (only the aftermath of trying to pry away a lightswitch cover that was siliconed to a mirror wall by the previous owners. fun!)

Post subject: Re: my rain diverter is leaky. i have an idea, but need advi
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:37 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

ok, this looks really cool.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Worlds- ... cone-mold/

and there's more science and explanation here too.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions ... d-material

Post subject: Re: my rain diverter is leaky. i have an idea, but need advi
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:49 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

well, nevermind. :-) now that i straightened the downspout so that the water is falling to the correct spot, i collected about 40 gallons. (and the bucket out in the open looks like it caught another inch or so. so that's pretty good.) so i'll just leave it to do it's thing.