| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Instead of reddit - or as a complement
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:55 am 
Saggy Butt

couldn't we find another board somewhere? or host a phpbb-forum somewhere else? under another name of course ...
Basically what you need is a host with mysql and php-possibilities.
Should/could be rather cheap if hosted in some cloud infrastructure like amazon or the like.

Post subject: Re: Instead of reddit - or as a complement
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:22 am 
Saggy Butt

https://phpmatters.com/best-phpbb-hosting/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:12 pm 
WRETCHED

I think anyone could do anything really but there are a couple issues which probably really come down to money and time. Forums are also dying a slow death in general, giving away to places like Facebook and reddit so it'd just be delaying the inevitable.

The biggest problem with forums probably is spam, which we've seen a huge increase in the last few months. You need a large, dedicated team mostly just to hunt down spam and get rid of it. Meanwhile, reddit seems to help quite a bit in this arena.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:44 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I'm a unix admin and I've run phpBB sites before-- they're a lot of work and require fairly significant resources to keep running smoothly. If nobody had any better ideas, I was going to offer to migrate it off to an AWS instance and keep it going, but honestly I don't think it would have been great for anyone. Reddit has the advantage of being free (AWS would cost 30-50 bucks or more every month and I wouldn't have to have to beg for donations and then keep track of them so nobody felt like they were just padding my beer fund) and only requiring basic administrative attention rather than full-scale systems stuff and ongoing software maintenance to keep down the scripted spam runs and hack attempts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I really do love the board as a forum and wish they were cheaper and easier to keep going. I would join another forum/board if there were one available, but I think what folks have already said about reddit as a free and less demanding medium will likely prevail.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

It changes stuff up a little, is all. I think the threading is nicer for keeping conversations from overlapping (you can just reply so a single comment without quoting a bunch of stuff, for example). With RES you get new-comment notifications. I think it'll be fine after a little bit of adjustment. It's already pretty active (largely thanks to you posting a bunch of stuff, heh. 8).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:27 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I was definitely in the mindset that I wanted to see PPK moving over to another forum so that it could continue just as it is. I guess I feel more ok with he Reddit thing now that I'm getting the hang of using it (and having seen how many PPKers are over there already) but I do still have concerns about posting super personal shiitake over there because of the warnings about doxing etc. I mean here I'm more than happy to talk about my mental health, sex toys etc and ask big life Q's / crowd source ideas etc but I feel more wary about all of that on Reddit.

I would happily contribute financially to keep the PPK going (or even organise / be in charge of all of the fundraising - that's kinda my thing!) but I have no tech skills that could help with sorting out spam / actually getting it moved somewhere and I get the feeling that the majority of PPKers prefer the Reddit plan.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:28 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Also can a mod move this to the foyer? I feel like it's too time sensitive / important for the workshop.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:42 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

The problem with spinning off the forums as an independent entity is that there's literally nothing to drive new users to the forums, and they wither and die anyway. I've seen this tried lots of times, and seen it work approximately never.

Reddit at least has other stuff to keep people interested. Sometimes in a car crash kind of way.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:57 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

mumbles wrote:
Reddit at least has other stuff to keep people interested. Sometimes in a car crash kind of way.

Tell me about it. I ventured into some threads to lurk in some of my other areas of interest and one of the moderators in a meditation section I checked out is just off the hook with novel-length posts peppered with rage. I...think he needs to spend more time with his neutral mind if you know what I'm sayin'. Not sure I can learn anything from that guy. But this is just one person! I am sure there are plenty of awesome folks there too just like there are on the PPK and I'm hoping to dabble in some other areas of interest while there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:41 pm 
WRETCHED

jojo wrote:
I was definitely in the mindset that I wanted to see PPK moving over to another forum so that it could continue just as it is. I guess I feel more ok with he Reddit thing now that I'm getting the hang of using it (and having seen how many PPKers are over there already) but I do still have concerns about posting super personal shiitake over there because of the warnings about doxing etc. I mean here I'm more than happy to talk about my mental health, sex toys etc and ask big life Q's / crowd source ideas etc but I feel more wary about all of that on Reddit.

I would happily contribute financially to keep the PPK going (or even organise / be in charge of all of the fundraising - that's kinda my thing!) but I have no tech skills that could help with sorting out spam / actually getting it moved somewhere and I get the feeling that the majority of PPKers prefer the Reddit plan.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about doxxing unless you decide to troll areas. Like if you go into the MRA or Red Pill subreddit and start posting stuff. Personally, I plan primarily to only post in ThePPK subreddit although I may read others. It isn't a publically listed reddit so it won't be easy for redditors to find you, at least not any much different than a forum.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jojo wrote:

This is not a private forum and anyone can read whatever has been posted here. Lina is right in that unless you go looking for a fight, they are unlikely to seek out the PPK. Reddit is a big place.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:59 am 
Saggy Butt

I would also be willing to donate some SEK/$$ to keep any forum. And I am a bit tech-savvy too :) Working as a systems administrator ...

Guess I have to get used to reddit, but I really prefer being able to at a glance know what I want to read and what not - what I've read before and don't need to read again and how the conversation flowed - since my spare time nowadays is rather limited. And reddit seems a bit chaotic in this aspect.

Nothing will ever get me into facebook on the other hand. I'm not giving my data to microsoft to be mined ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:37 am 
Naked Under Apron

linanil wrote:
jojo wrote:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about doxxing unless you decide to troll areas. Like if you go into the MRA or Red Pill subreddit and start posting stuff. Personally, I plan primarily to only post in ThePPK subreddit although I may read others. It isn't a publically listed reddit so it won't be easy for redditors to find you, at least not any much different than a forum.

Yeah, the warnings are mainly for people who choose to go outside the PPK sub. It's unlikely outsiders will come to the PPK sub - there are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of subreddits and there's no reason anyone would find a little one like ours. It's essentially as private as this forum, with the added bonus that it's harder to search a user's posts on reddit and there isn't really any "profile info" available there that could reveal personal information.

FWIW I've been on reddit for nearly five years now and I don't shy away from getting into fights there, the worst I've had is some rude/harassing PMs. Nothing further.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:24 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

helgonblomma wrote:
I would also be willing to donate some SEK/$$ to keep any forum. And I am a bit tech-savvy too :) Working as a systems administrator ...

Guess I have to get used to reddit, but I really prefer being able to at a glance know what I want to read and what not - what I've read before and don't need to read again and how the conversation flowed - since my spare time nowadays is rather limited. And reddit seems a bit chaotic in this aspect.

Nothing will ever get me into facebook on the other hand. I'm not giving my data to microsoft to be mined ...

The thing about reddit as a whole is it is super chaotic and all over the place. I would for starters just bookmark the ppk subreddit and stay there (to start!). That way you'll only see all the nonesense we post :).

It's true that unlike the forums every thread is just piled into one big lump. To start out the easiest thing might be to change your default displays for comments AND threads to new. So you'll see newer posts as they come up. Also, again subscribing to a thread will get you a little notification in your inbox when new comments are added so if you find a thread you like and want to keep on top of you could do that.
All mentions of your user name (to tag someone type u/username) will also ping their inbox which is nice. Same with replies or threaded comments, they also line themselves up nicely with replies being tiered to each other. And you can minimize these threaded comments or series of replies in a single click, which helps if you want to skip off topic stuff or mini discussions (OR for keeping track as you read thru a thread! Once you've read a comment you can minimize it same with these mini discussions).

I will help anyone learn how to reddit! I am new to posting on reddit, so I am likely not very qualified but I won't think any question is dumb (because I likely asked it yesterday!).

ETA: I think alot of the warnings about doxxing etc where more about how we typically deal with trolls and the web skill level of average reddit user (trolls included) vs the trolls or bots the ppk forums would get.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:19 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Just chiming in to say I'd be happy to kick in some $$$ regularly if that's the direction everyone wants to go in. I gain so much from the PPK so that's not even a question. I'm also slowly realizing how much of a luddite I really am and am not sure I can keep up with the flow of reddit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:31 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

paprikapapaya wrote:
Just chiming in to say I'd be happy to kick in some $$$ regularly if that's the direction everyone wants to go in. I gain so much from the PPK so that's not even a question. I'm also slowly realizing how much of a luddite I really am and am not sure I can keep up with the flow of reddit.

Me too. Seriously, I forking love message boards and I don't really look forward to the future of confusing, fast-paced social media.

Re: spam, I used to be an admin on another forum, and the way we got round spam was setting it so that anyone's first few posts had to be approved by an admin. That way, we could delete all the spam before it was visible on the board and IP-ban the spammers. (We could also weed out the trolls before they became too problematic!)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:40 pm 
WRETCHED

I think Reddit just takes some adjustment but it is nice that they highlight things like new posts. I haven't tried any browser plug ins yet.

But really if someone wanted to go forth and make a board, they certainly could. Personally I wouldn't join it but others might.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

B_A_D wrote:
To start out the easiest thing might be to change your default displays for comments AND threads to new.

How do you change the default display for threads?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tzippy wrote:
B_A_D wrote:
To start out the easiest thing might be to change your default displays for comments AND threads to new.

How do you change the default display for threads?

Image I made in MS paint showing what I mean
I just book marked the new tab and use the bookmark, you can also change the comment preferences in the menu on the right upper hand.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:18 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Regarding the cost of setting up a forum -- why not crowdsource it? I'm sure we could come up with the money in short order with a GoFundMe campaign.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:37 pm 
WRETCHED

Well all of you that want your own board would have to figure that out. The cost would be ongoing, rather than a one time setup fee.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

For my part, I would not be so interested in creating a new board as I would be in preserving this one (with its existing content), if crowdfunding and shared work could do it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:10 am 
WRETCHED

Personally, I don't see preserving this one with its existing content as an option. You'd have to convince Isa to release the content to whoever and since she wants to create her own site to direct people to, I'm not sure that'd fly.