| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:15 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 4051
Location: Malvern, PA
I'm teaching myself Everlong by the Foo Fighters on the acoustic guitar. I've got down all the individual parts (verses, bridge, chorus), it's just a matter of putting it together and being able to sing over it. Watching the video can get a might frustrating because Dave Grohl just powers through the whole thing. I'm at about 65% that tempo!



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:26 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:15 pm
Posts: 1479
Location: Seattle!
Chopin's Op. 72, no. 1. It's a nocturne.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hcKt7-h4k
(do not know how to embed)
I've got a quarter of it down so far.

_________________
"Its really hard to keep in shape, my prison of principles only has so much pacing space." - Shy Mox

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:36 am 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:10 am
Posts: 1119
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Different kind of music project, but my guitar isn't held together with tape anymore!
Before:
Image
After:
Image

_________________
'forking. bogan as forking fork' - Joshua
'I can puke and be naked anywhere I want' - Fee


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:49 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 4051
Location: Malvern, PA

I taught myself this on ukulele the other night.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:19 am 
Offline
Huffs Nooch
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:50 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Seeing as my boyfriend has a keyboard I thought I`d pick up on the piano, so I learned `Mad World`and then `Song of Storms`from Zelda - What a beautiful song! But since I learned the latter, I already started forgetting the first one!

_________________
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
UnReFiNeD: http://nocrapdiet.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:51 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:09 am
Posts: 34
I'm trying to figure out how to play this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJI0D9hhuwM&feature=related (cover by two guys who deserve the attention they are getting here in Germany)
I spend hours trying to piece the different parts together - it's hard, but it's definitely worthwhile and fun.

_________________
פשוט מכורה לקפה


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:34 pm 
Online
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1480
Location: Hamburg, Germany
My big choir is doing Mendelssohn's Elijah in May. Here is a recording of the entire oratorio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBMTzryAnrk

My chamber choir is doing lot of small fun pieces, including:
How can I keep from singing


Baba Yetu, the opening theme from Civ IV, adapted for SATB choir+drums


Another Mendelssohn piece a capella


It's going to be a fun season!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:43 am 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:12 am
Posts: 63
Location: Seattle
Maybe I will post something on the internet later about it, but I just picked up a Korg Kaossilator and am now a electronic music genius (haha). I've always been musically challenged and wanted a tool that took no talent but still allowed me to create. Wish me luck! You guys are doing cool advanced things, kudos.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:53 am 
Offline
Plays The Sims 2 religiously
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 7284
Location: Portland, OR
I think (if ever possible) you guys should upload stuff you're working on in a way that's by you! That would be fun! :)

_________________
i would schmear marmite on a moist scrotum for Mars. - interrobang?!
"Not everything." ~ mumbles (1973-2013) - mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:07 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 6652
Location: Norristown, PA
My a cappella group is singing: "Not as We" by Alanis Morissette, "99 Luftballons" by Nena, "September" by Earth Wind and Fire, "Thank You" by Boyz II Men, and "Champagne High" by Sister Hazel (one of my favorite songs EVER EVER EVER EVER). A bunch of us are doing an extra gig at a retirement home in a few weeks, so we're working on "Build Me Up Buttercup", "Stand by Me", "Little Bitty Pretty One", "All My Loving", and "Charlie Brown".

I think I'm going to audition for the solo on "Champagne High"! I'm only slightly terrified. :)

_________________
Man, fork the gender card, imma come at you with the whole damned gender deck. - Olives
Did you ever think that, like, YOU are a sexy costume FOR a diva cup? - solipsistnation
blog! FB!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:19 am 
Offline
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:43 pm
Posts: 2430
Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
have 2 side projects gong lately

One is a stoner rock/doom band meets cross over thrash

and Im playing guitar and singing in something new that Im going to use all my powers to steer into a Spits meets Bauhaus meets Steel Pole Bathtub

_________________
http://dumbveganfoodblog.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:44 am 
Online
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1480
Location: Hamburg, Germany
choirqueer wrote:
My a cappella group is singing: "Not as We" by Alanis Morissette, "99 Luftballons" by Nena, "September" by Earth Wind and Fire, "Thank You" by Boyz II Men, and "Champagne High" by Sister Hazel (one of my favorite songs EVER EVER EVER EVER). A bunch of us are doing an extra gig at a retirement home in a few weeks, so we're working on "Build Me Up Buttercup", "Stand by Me", "Little Bitty Pretty One", "All My Loving", and "Charlie Brown".

I think I'm going to audition for the solo on "Champagne High"! I'm only slightly terrified. :)


Very nice repertoire!
I've been meaning to ask you (if you don't mind?) Do you sing in a SATB choir, and which part do you sing? How did transitioning affect your singing voice?
We have 2 female tenors in my choir, and the director is lobbying for a few of the male tenors to move to alto, in their falsetto. There was an adult male soprano in my previous choir, a guy whose voice never broke. And I recently learned that I am not, in fact, a soprano, which got me really curious about the physiology of singing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:15 am 
Offline
Impressive boner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:57 pm
Posts: 4031
Location: Nottingham.
Working on one new song that's been problematic for me. I don't want to can it but some of the music is discordant so it's proving difficult to build a vocal melody. We've changed some of the structure of the guitar and bass to try to make it flow a little easier so hopefully it'll start to come together now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:20 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 6652
Location: Norristown, PA
aelle wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
My a cappella group is singing: "Not as We" by Alanis Morissette, "99 Luftballons" by Nena, "September" by Earth Wind and Fire, "Thank You" by Boyz II Men, and "Champagne High" by Sister Hazel (one of my favorite songs EVER EVER EVER EVER). A bunch of us are doing an extra gig at a retirement home in a few weeks, so we're working on "Build Me Up Buttercup", "Stand by Me", "Little Bitty Pretty One", "All My Loving", and "Charlie Brown".

I think I'm going to audition for the solo on "Champagne High"! I'm only slightly terrified. :)


Very nice repertoire!
I've been meaning to ask you (if you don't mind?) Do you sing in a SATB choir, and which part do you sing? How did transitioning affect your singing voice?
We have 2 female tenors in my choir, and the director is lobbying for a few of the male tenors to move to alto, in their falsetto. There was an adult male soprano in my previous choir, a guy whose voice never broke. And I recently learned that I am not, in fact, a soprano, which got me really curious about the physiology of singing.


Yes! I sing in an SATB group. I sing tenor 2. I was an alto before hormones, but often tried to sing tenor anyway. Testosterone affects an adult treble voice the same way as it affects the voice of a child going through puberty. It's pretty much the exact same thing. I had a couple years of extreme squeakiness, during which I dropped out of the auditioned group I was singing with at the time and joined a couple local church choirs just so I could keep singing. Unfortunately, I have not yet had the benefit of getting any real vocal training with my new voice, so I haven't yet learned to control it as effectively as I would like, but...someday. As long as I can sing, I'm happy. :) Does that answer your question?

_________________
Man, fork the gender card, imma come at you with the whole damned gender deck. - Olives
Did you ever think that, like, YOU are a sexy costume FOR a diva cup? - solipsistnation
blog! FB!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:30 am 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 210
Location: Kent, OH
here's a short song I did some work on -- if The Move and Tin Tin did a song together in 1967.

http://kompoz.com/t/177484

_________________
What The Hell Does A Vegan Eat Anyway?
@tofu666 | Facebook | Tumblr | Flickr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:54 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 6652
Location: Norristown, PA
tofu666 wrote:
here's a short song I did some work on -- if The Move and Tin Tin did a song together in 1967.

http://kompoz.com/t/177484


Nice!

_________________
Man, fork the gender card, imma come at you with the whole damned gender deck. - Olives
Did you ever think that, like, YOU are a sexy costume FOR a diva cup? - solipsistnation
blog! FB!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:48 pm 
Online
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1480
Location: Hamburg, Germany
choirqueer wrote:
aelle wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
My a cappella group is singing: "Not as We" by Alanis Morissette, "99 Luftballons" by Nena, "September" by Earth Wind and Fire, "Thank You" by Boyz II Men, and "Champagne High" by Sister Hazel (one of my favorite songs EVER EVER EVER EVER). A bunch of us are doing an extra gig at a retirement home in a few weeks, so we're working on "Build Me Up Buttercup", "Stand by Me", "Little Bitty Pretty One", "All My Loving", and "Charlie Brown".

I think I'm going to audition for the solo on "Champagne High"! I'm only slightly terrified. :)


Very nice repertoire!
I've been meaning to ask you (if you don't mind?) Do you sing in a SATB choir, and which part do you sing? How did transitioning affect your singing voice?
We have 2 female tenors in my choir, and the director is lobbying for a few of the male tenors to move to alto, in their falsetto. There was an adult male soprano in my previous choir, a guy whose voice never broke. And I recently learned that I am not, in fact, a soprano, which got me really curious about the physiology of singing.


Yes! I sing in an SATB group. I sing tenor 2. I was an alto before hormones, but often tried to sing tenor anyway. Testosterone affects an adult treble voice the same way as it affects the voice of a child going through puberty. It's pretty much the exact same thing. I had a couple years of extreme squeakiness, during which I dropped out of the auditioned group I was singing with at the time and joined a couple local church choirs just so I could keep singing. Unfortunately, I have not yet had the benefit of getting any real vocal training with my new voice, so I haven't yet learned to control it as effectively as I would like, but...someday. As long as I can sing, I'm happy. :) Does that answer your question?


Yes! Thank you, that's really interesting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:45 am 
Offline
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:43 pm
Posts: 2430
Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
New Song from our recording session tonight. Pro Dog, play as fast as you can

http://soundcloud.com/deathcrisis/your- ... t-to-be-at

_________________
http://dumbveganfoodblog.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:07 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 6652
Location: Norristown, PA
Adam Crisis wrote:
New Song from our recording session tonight. Pro Dog, play as fast as you can

http://soundcloud.com/deathcrisis/your- ... t-to-be-at


AWESOME
What are the rest of the lyrics?

_________________
Man, fork the gender card, imma come at you with the whole damned gender deck. - Olives
Did you ever think that, like, YOU are a sexy costume FOR a diva cup? - solipsistnation
blog! FB!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:13 pm 
Offline
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:43 pm
Posts: 2430
Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
dogs like running, dogs like playing
they dont like hardcore, they dont like slamming
dont want to be deafened or stepped on
they dont want to be your crust fashion accessory
if you cant leave them stay the fork home, this isnt the place
dont you forking get it
your dog doesnt want to be at our show
and you who brought them here are a total crasshole
you say you care about animals
well now its time to act like it
your dog doesnt want to be at our show
they want to run
they want to play
go to the park everyday
not be blasted by the PA
wake the fork up and treat your dog right

_________________
http://dumbveganfoodblog.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:15 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 6652
Location: Norristown, PA
Adam Crisis wrote:
dogs like running, dogs like playing
they dont like hardcore, they dont like slamming
dont want to be deafened or stepped on
they dont want to be your crust fashion accessory
if you cant leave them stay the fork home, this isnt the place
dont you forking get it
your dog doesnt want to be at our show
and you who brought them here are a total crasshole
you say you care about animals
well now its time to act like it
your dog doesnt want to be at our show
they want to run
they want to play
go to the park everyday
not be blasted by the PA
wake the fork up and treat your dog right


YES. awesome.

_________________
Man, fork the gender card, imma come at you with the whole damned gender deck. - Olives
Did you ever think that, like, YOU are a sexy costume FOR a diva cup? - solipsistnation
blog! FB!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:47 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 557
Location: ATX
I made some pedal boards. One out of Ikea shelves & one out of an old briefcase. I soldered a couple pedals, too. If only I spent as much time practicing guitar as I do making stuff for it.

Image

Image

_________________
Taco Cleanse Zine
Maximum Salad


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:36 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 6652
Location: Norristown, PA
Set list for my a cappella group's summer concert:

"Some Nights" by fun
"Because" by the Beatles
"Jet Lag" by Simple Plan ft. Natasha Bedingfield
"Toxic" by Britney Spears (as arranged by Tommy Monks)
"New Shoes" by Paolo Nutini
"Too Close" by Alex Clare
"What Makes You Beautiful" by One Direction
"Hold On" by Wilson Phillips
"Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac (apb Dixie Chicks)

I am more excited about some than others. See if you can guess which I'm more excited about.

_________________
Man, fork the gender card, imma come at you with the whole damned gender deck. - Olives
Did you ever think that, like, YOU are a sexy costume FOR a diva cup? - solipsistnation
blog! FB!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:48 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:44 pm
Posts: 1360
Location: Boston, MA
I'm learning a bunch of covers on bass. Santeria by Sublime is my primary challenge now... but I have to keep playing all the others or I forget them! I'm good at learning the parts, and if I know the song playing them at the right time. For songs that I'd never heard I'm still trying to figure out a good way to play the parts at the right time without having to listen to the song a million times (I don't love all of our song choices).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians! Share what music you're working on!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:23 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 4:03 pm
Posts: 4
On the piano and cello, I'm working on Thank God I'm Pretty by Emilie Autumn. It's...interesting.

_________________
"If I was two-faced, do you think I'd wear this one?" -Abraham Lincoln

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer