| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TV for Office Conference Room - Help
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

HELP!

I've been put in charge of buying a TV for our conference room at work and I have no idea what I'm doing. This is what I need.

-Has to be wall mounted and big, like 60".
-Needs to be able to open Word & Excel docs on it.
-Needs to have Wifi or be internet ready, I don't know what the difference is. But basically I need to be able to browse the internet on this thing and pull up our company intranet site.
-Need to hook up a wireless mouse and keyboard to it.

Someone told us that we need a Smart TV, do we? Or do we just need a large monitor? I don't think computer monitors come that big but maybe I'm wrong. This is mostly going to be used for staff meetings. Right now we have a PC hooked up to a small pocket projector that is projecting off of our white board. So we want better viewing capabilities but also the functionality of a computer. I'm lost!

Post subject: Re: TV for Office Conference Room - Help
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:02 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

You can get a TV that you can hook a computer or tablet up to to view word files and things like a second monitor. You can use the wireless mouse and keyboard with the laptop and view the intranet/internet through there. Seems like you'd be able to get a much cheaper tv if they'd be willing to just hook a computer up to it rather than getting some super fancy giant monitor that is basically a computer. But, I have no idea what's out there now in terms of fancy technology.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Me either. I don't own any cool technology and don't spend my own money on this type of stuff. So I have no idea. And our IT guy wasn't very helpful. He said he would hook it all up for me, but wasn't very good with telling me what to buy. I feel like big companies must do stuff like this all the time for their conference rooms. So there has to be an option! I just don't know where to start.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:51 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Most name brand flat screens have the capability to act as a computer monitor, as long as the computer isn't completely archaic. HDMI input is pretty standard, if not VGA. Then you basically just need the right chord to connect to the tv - the ends can differ slightly.

This page kind of breaks down how it works:

http://m.wikihow.com/Use-Your-TV-As-a-Computer-Monitor

I really don't know much about smart tvs. Outside of internet connectivity, I don't know that they can all open windows office files.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:30 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I work for a sort of a big company that has a lot of digital signs and (video)conferencing rooms. They have a big LCD display (currently using Sharp PN Professional) on a wall mount (Chief Fusion) and a little computer (currently Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny line, which is small enough that they can usually hide it behind the screen). The computer hooks up to the monitor with a standard VGA/DVI cable. They're into having a separate computer instead of a SmartTV because a separate computer is easier to replace or repair and can do more than the stripped-down operating systems in SmartTVs. SmartTVs can usually get to, like, NetFlix and YouTube and maybe browse the web, and not much else. The computer gives you your internet connection, your ability to run Word and any other arbitrary program, and use any wireless i/o accessories (wireless keyboard and mouse, presentation remote, and so on.

So basically, big screen, computer, and some accessories. The big screen just needs to have a VGA/DVI/DP port to get input from the computer. Speakers—either built in to the screen or external. The computer needs a matching video port, a wireless network adapter, USB ports for peripherals, and to be fast enough to run the programs you use (well).

I'd caution against using wireless, if possible. Using a wired connection will make the network connection faster, more reliable, and more secure. It's a really big deal if you ever want to use it for bandwidth-heavy stuff like remote desktop sessions and videoconferencing.

That's, like, pretty techie. Ew. Let me know if you want me to clarify anything there or if you've got questions about specific products or whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:38 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I agree with getting a large monitor and then get a laptop that hooks up to it with a long cord. People will be able to flip through their slides or whatever much easier with a laptop than trying to use a wireless keyboard with a big monitor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That was super helpful actually! Thank you! I think I can work with that and find some options on Amazon for the TV now that I know it doesn't have to be a Smart TV and it really just needs the connections. We used to have a small netbook in our conference room that was hooked up to the pocket projector but it was running too slow for our needs. So we have a full size PC in there now. I guess I'll just need some type of cart to hold the PC under the mounted TV and then cord covers to make it look organized. We aren't entertaining clients or anything so I don't think it has to look super professional.

So I need:
Big TV
Media Cart
Wall Mount
Connection Cords
Have to make sure the TV and the PC can connect together
And a hard wire internet connection if possible

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:51 pm 
WELFARIST!

It sounds like your company wanted you to get a large Smart TV with USB ports. That would maybe be okay for a home, with someone just browsing the internet but I agree with some of what's been said in the thread- use wires and a separate computer.